TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Andromeda

Default PLumbing

Thanks for all the great replies to my plumbing posting. Since there is no reference to a Site Sponsor to gain access to the technical information, which I could not find, I simply started writing about my experience. I will mail a check.

Here are my responses to some of the kind replies I received:
1. Jerry, my sign-in as a non-Site Sponsor did not give me access to your weight list. I worry that the 3,500# axle plus 400# tongue capacity you supplied cuts the safety margin somewhat too closely. While close at 3,900 combined, it is not enough for me to install a new $500 axle. Clearly, tire and wheel sizes seem the key issue. Funny, why would TM release a camper with a 3,956# certificate and a 3,900 axle and tongue capacity? Oops!
2. Thanks to Joel from Colorado for the sample weight from his unit. While I have checked with 3 locations here in the Conroe/Houston area, I have not located a site with a scale yet. But, I am working on it.
3. Bill, a local and very large trailer specialty shop tried to mount their 15's on my camper. However, once mounted, the tire rubbed the wheel well while it up on jacks, which would lead to ruin of course.
With my local company's tire, and with the lift kit, a chance of tire contact may still exist on the street side of the inner wheel well. Even with the lift kit, their tire may rub when the tire moves up from a big bump in the road, or when I am leaning in a curve and hit a bump? I will try to find a Marathon supplier. Do you have side clearance measurements you can share?
I checked my wheel well and I think you are correct about the damage from the exploding tire to the well and plumbing. I wrongfully assumed the damage was due to dragging. Looks like I need a barrier of some kind and another skid is not necessary.

Naturally, your Site-Sponsor access forum tips on replacing the plumbing will help me too.

Obviously, I need to get to that additional information in the forum as a Site Sponsor. Too bad you lack that information in your header somewhere or at least I did not see anything of this nature.

Andromeda - David
2006 TM 2720SL with swing tongue, slide out, roof AC
2002 GMC Envoy XL, 4-whd, 275 hp inline 6-cyl, DOHC with aluminum block, 275 fp torque, 4:10 differential ratios, factory trailer towing pkg., purchased new for Colorado mountain touring. performs beautifully achieving 15 mpg most of the time. Later, I left Colorado due to low oxygen levels causing me breathing problems due to my age.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Obviously, I need to get to that additional information in the forum as a Site Sponsor. Too bad you lack that information in your header somewhere or at least I did not see anything of this nature.
I think this information is fairly easy to find, actually. If you click on the FAQ link in the blue banner that spans the width of the page (for Frequently Asked Questions), site sponsorship is the very first link listed. You can also click here to go directly there:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...faq_membership

Your $12/yr defrays board expenses (and you can pay online), and we pay it in lieu of being blasted with advertisements.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

There is a Cat Scale center on IH 45 at the Patton exit (exit 50)

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Quote:
2. Thanks to Joel from Colorado for the sample weight from his unit. While I have checked with 3 locations here in the Conroe/Houston area, I have not located a site with a scale yet. But, I am working on it.
If you haven't, check http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator to find scales near you.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... 3. Bill, a local and very large trailer specialty shop tried to mount their 15's on my camper. However, once mounted, the tire rubbed the wheel well while it up on jacks, which would lead to ruin of course. ... I will try to find a Marathon supplier. Do you have side clearance measurements you can share?
TM equips the trailer with Marathon tires, made by Goodyear. There is a Goodyear store in almost any town larger than 1000 people. Check 'em out in the phone book, or at http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/tire-shop/all. Most of them (in my experience) have the 15-inch Marathons in stock, but a smaller one might have to order them from the local warehouse, which will take no more than two days. You will also need new wheels, of course, but they are not expensive, and are similarly quick to get. If you change tires and wheels, be sure to insist on metal valve stems, and be sure to get the new assemblies balanced. Don't settle for "we don't do that for trailers". Your proper answer is "OK, but you do it for mine."

From the Goodyear website at http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-selector.aspx, the Marathons have
o 215/75R14, width 8.5 inches, loaded radius 11.8 inches, load rating 1870 pounds at 50 psi.
o 225/75R15, width 8.7 inches, loaded radius 12.5 inches, load rating 2540 pounds at 65 psi.

The width of the 15's over the 14's is only slightly larger, and doesn't present a problem in my TM wheelwell. The radius is enough larger that it may require a lift kit, as you mentioned. The total load rating of the 15-inch Marathons is 5080 pounds, which compares favorably with the 4800 pounds of the tires you mentioned but did not specifically identify. You should go to their mfr web site and check the width - I bet their width is larger, which is causing the interference you mentioned.

Quote:
I checked my wheel well and I think you are correct about the damage from the exploding tire to the well and plumbing... Looks like I need a barrier of some kind and another skid is not necessary.
That is good news! Adding skids would be a pain - especially for me, since I don't have a way to do any welding, and my local guy is expensive!

Quote:
Andromeda - David
... I left Colorado due to low oxygen levels causing me breathing problems due to my age.
Bummer, ain't it? We have a cabin at 7500+ feet in the Rockies. Last year my wife developed altitude problems, and ended up in the ER. It is managable with care, but still no fun. My condolences.

For what it is worth, and when you get access to the board, my experience with the conversion is laid out here. Other members have also posted their stories and recommendations on the board.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
There is a Cat Scale center on IH 45 at the Patton exit (exit 50)
Or if you're a southeasterner like me there's one in Baytown at the Flying J.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

And 288 south freeway at Mchard exit.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote