TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Andromeda

Angry 2720SL Blowout -- issues, WOW terrible

With a driver side blowout in June, my 2720SL TM dropped to the road and the plumbing was sheared entirely off. To resolve this problem, I hope to accomplish several changes including:
1. Move the plumbing forward nearer the wheel for improved road clearance
2. Install a 2" lift kit to provide clearance for 15" tires and rims
3. Install 8-ply tires to achieve a load rating of 2,400 lbs. per tire
4. Install skids to avoid dragging trailer components.

Background:
The existing 14-inch tires and wheels supply minimal and marginal load capacity. Considering the loaded trailer, according to the TM certificate reaches 3,956 lbs. the existing tires rated at 1850 lbs per tire in primo condition, with a subtraction of 400 lbs. tongue weight, barely get by in my book (3700-400=3300 lbs. load per pair). This loading fails to account for higher loads in turns or on bumpy roads, or other irregular conditions and lastly, reduced tire capacity after only a couple of years of service.

Unfortunately, the small existing wheel well cannot accomodate a 15" trailer tiire due to width limitations in the well. I tried and failed.

Clearly, the 2-inch lift kit might provide the needed wheel well clearance. In Houston, an I-45 N trailer shop can deliver 8-ply 15-inch wheels and plain rims for $125 each, if you need a cost point.

If clearance issues still exist with the lift kit, that means modification to the wheel well. Let me know if you tried this.

To achieve even more plumbing clearance, I hope to move the larger items closer to the left rear area of the wheel well.

Additionally, to avoid other damage due to blowouts, I plan to mount skid plates bolted to the frame that drags the ground to minimize damage, an item that should cost little. This follows the same concept used on aircraft.

There should be a torsion bar adjustment that would raise the camper by increasing the torque position of the bar. I can't find it. Anyone tried this?

Since I know many others have faced this issue, according a TM mechanic from a defunct shop here, I request any tips and sources for materials for my repairs.

I found the posting by wmiller3 on "Retrofitting the lift kit" very helpful. However, he fails to say where the lift kit was purchased, or I missed it.

At nearly 72, this is hard work for an old man.

Thanks
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing protection