Adequate Tow Vehicle Rating

Subscription Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
03-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Default A further comment about the Hensley Hitch

Thinking about trapezoids:

Sorry to have to speculate about something so important, but I didn't find an awful lot of detail from the Hensley people to work from. Most of their pitch is pointed toward controlling trailer sway, a big problem for travel trailer owners but not such a big deal for us with folding models. The essence of how the hitch works is when the trailer swings to one side, the hitch resists a bit on the inside and pulls a little bit harder on the other. Not a bad plan for helping with trailer sway. But if that's all that's in the hitch besides a couple friction driven sway controls (nothing special to control the hitch when it's in compression), then what's laudable in pull risks becoming lamentable in push. In towing the trailer is happier in the middle. In stopping, however, the reverse could be true and the hitch could work against a straight stop more than a simple hitch ball. I'm not thinking this hitch is either necessary or necessarily a good thing for a low center of gravity trailer like a TrailManor, and it might actually add to vehicle instability in a skid.

I also added this comment to my note in post 53 in this thread, not having a better way to keep that particular conversation together.