TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2002, 04:17 PM   #21

Default Re: Weight Distributing Hitch

Summary of my recent (within the last year) towing combinations, all behind the "Burly Girl" -- a Ford Excursion 4x4 Diesel.

1)  Towing TM2720 with EA-Z-Lift (I think that's how it is spelled) equalizing hitch.   The previous owners of the TM2720 included this in the deal.  The EA-Z-Lift setup is a bit strange at first, there's a bolt in the hitch used to angle the unit to take up or remove tension in the bars, in addition to the traditional "pick your link in the chain" approach.   I didn't really like the lift mechanism as the hooks used to catch the chain links are flat, and some times the chain would fly off the hook while I was attaching the bars.

I found this was less a problem if I left the trailer on the tongue jack when attaching.  Then you hook up the bar chains and raise the tongue jack.

Most of my miles towing the TM were with this setup, and I never had any problems with sway.   I sometimes felt the bars were a bit springy, though, as I'd notice some bounce.  I don't know the bar ratings.

2)  Towing the 2720 (short distances) without the bars attached.  NOT RECOMENDED.   Too much bounce on the front axle.

3)  Tried my old Reese equalizer setup.   I really like this, but my drop bar dragged as it is too long for the Burly Girl -- my old pickup was a little higher.   No sway control, and I like the setup better than the EA-Z-Lift.

4)  I also have a small Wells Cargo enclosed 5x8 trailer.  Doesn't really count, but I never used equalizers or sway control.  Again, no problems.

5)  The Reese setup also went into service picking up my new full-sized travel trailer (about 8,000 pounds).   THAT WAS HAIRY.  The load bars are under-rated for that much tongue weight.   And for the first time I decided I'd need sway control.

6)  Finally broke down and bought insurance in the form of the $2,700 Hensley Arrow.   Lots of bucks.  But with this much trailer I absolutely *would not* go without this hitch.  I'm convinced it's the best hitch available for towing.  May be better than fifth wheels, even.  The down sides (beside cost) are: when I leave the trailer for service - it has to come off.  Hitching up is different and takes some practice.

I happen to think the Hensley is not needed for the TM if your tow vehicle has a long enough wheelbase.  Shorter vehicles might use some sway control, but I'd try a friction bar first, before spending almost $3k for a Hensley.

Jon
Old 09-02-2002, 03:42 PM   #22
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

When I picked my 2720 up on Thursday, the dealer said that my Blazer would need a WDH, he put the trailer down on my ball first to let me decide...when I heard the springs start to groan on the Blazer I was sold immediately. The dealer did install a Eaz-a-lift which has a trailer rating of 10K lbs, and a tongue weight of 1000 lbs. It sounds like a bit of overkill, but I find it very easy to set up, and I experience absolutely NO SWAY at all while towing.

I am now a firm believer in WDH and will always recommend that when in doubt, check it out.

Happy Campin' <><
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 12:11 PM   #23
Happytrails

C_W_B, is your blazer an s-10 model? Just wondering as that's what I have and am in the process of getting a WDH. They have a used one with the 1000 lb toungue weight, but they said that might be too much.......If not, it'd save me about 100.00!

Happytrails........
Old 09-04-2002, 01:35 AM   #24
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Happytrails,

Yes, I have a 1998 S-10 Blazer.  I don't find that the heavy duty one is too much, I find that it is just fine.  I have the EAZ-lift model 1009 and it seems to be doing the job nicely.

CWB
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:07 AM   #25
Happytrails

C_W_B, Thanks, I'll be picking up the used one tomorrow for 179.00 when I get my tow package installed. (Instead of spending $279.00 on a new one). After my last trip to the outter banks, my front end was coming up almost off the ground bouncing while going over the long bridge down there just from the load I had in the back of the blazer, I *know* I anyway, would be needing the WD hitch after adding another 450lbs to the back. But yes, it's an EZ-Lift, but not sure what model it is.......

Oilspot, I received my Prodigy brake control today and will have it put on tomorrow. A friend of mine heads the service department for an RV dealership. (Tho not a TM dealership). He said it was probably the best one out there, once it's set, you can forget about it and probably not have to touch it again! The RV shop I got it from matched campers choice's price of 130.00, tho the dealership where my friend works charges 170.00 for the same controller!

Happytrails.......
Old 09-04-2002, 02:10 PM   #26
oilspot

Happytrails,

Sounds like youre getting a pretty good system set up.  

I really like the Prodigy controller.  Works at almost any angle and seems bullet proof so far.

The only time I have trouble with the controller is during stop-and-go traffic.  The controller thinks I'm rolling to a stop; so just about the time the car in front of me starts to move, the controller is easing on the brakes to hold me where I am.

I think this feature is programmable, but I keep forgetting to deciper the instructions.

Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:24 PM   #27
Happytrails

Will do Oilspot, and ended up getting the WD hitch for 150.00, but it didn't include the 2 brackets that clamp to the trailer frame, but she let me have them at her cost $33 a piece......all in all, not a bad deal. It's the EZ Lift 1000, with a short drop bar which is what I need for my setup. Unfortunately, the shop poked along installing my whole tow package, so it won't be ready till tomorrow sometime, but that's ok, as long as I get it back by this weekend! It's funny, I ran into someone that owns another M25 almost just like mine, he sent me copies of everything that came with his to include several of their first brochures, and a video, get what the people in the video and in the brochures were towing it with? A Chevy Celebrity!!!! And it was the exact same model as mine, the 1986 equivelent of a 3023! Pretty odd huh?

Happytrails.......
Old 09-11-2002, 09:25 AM   #28
Chris_Bauer

Need some help here.  I will buy an EAZ-LIFT WDH rated at 10,000 lbs. This is the model #1009.  It is the only one I can find here in Mexico.  I went to the shop today and they showed me how to hook it up to the Pathfinder.  I have some doubts apart from the fact that it seems a bit complicated to me.

The brackets (?) that attach to the TM have a long bolt, does this bolt stick out considerably when attached?

When attaching the chains, there is a stem which sticks out off of the bracket (looks like a stirrup) and comes with a bar to "pry" or lift, or something.  What do I do here?

In the instructions (greek to me) it says to measure the distance from the ground to the front bumper as well as the back.  Is this to eliminate the sag?

What is the general setup time for this WDH?

Your help is appreciated as we are going to Texas to take the TM out of storage. We are headed to the Shrimporee in Port Aranasas.

Thanks

Chris  P.S. This hitch weighs a ton :-/
Old 09-11-2002, 09:37 AM   #29
oilspot

Chris,

The measurements are for setting up the hitch and generally only done once.  Ideally you measure the truck before hook-up and then after.  By adjusting which link you hook onto, you can adjust the height of your truck.  You want the truck level or slightly lower in the back.

The bolts do stick out; but it isn't as noticable as you would think.  They are on the inside of the A-frame out of the way of passing knees or shins.

The stirrup shaped piece hook onto a link in the chain.  Then you use the handle to snap the stirrup up into place and secure it with the pin.  By counting the number of links down from the end of the chain, you can adjust how much torsion load is on the tongue of the trailer.  On my pathfinder, I hook onto the fifth link (but I have a different hitch).

The weight of the hitch is indicative of the strength required to bear the torsion load.  Unless they are titanium, the hitch will be quite heavy.  I guess it is a trade-off for the better weight distribution...

Hope this helps
Old 09-11-2002, 09:50 AM   #30

Oilspot,
After everything is hooked up, including the sway control, should there be any noise from the setup when turning. I put on a Reese Sway Control and if I don't leave it what seems to be very loose, I hear a noise that sounds like it is binding or bumping. I have not used a full hitch setup before so I am not sure what is normal. Any help would be appreciated.