TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2001, 10:00 AM   #1
Chris_Bauer

Default Bathroom Privacy Panels

On our last trip I took the initiative to create attractive panels that fill in the tops and side of the bathroom for more privacy.  I used blue insulation sheeting (?) and with the help of a compass I took the measurements, cut the panels, and covered with identically matching woodgrain vinyl. I attached small strips of velcro along the plastic trip on the ceiling that holds the vinyl flap over the tops of the bathroom walls.  I attached the other side of the velcro to the panels in the same position to hold them in place.  Now, if someone wants to use the bathroom at night, they have more privacy and the light from the bathroom doesn't come out over the top or hit me in the eye when I'm laying in bed (I put a small panel strip in the corner where the bathroom wall meets the bedroom).  It has worked so well and is so easy to add to the set up that I am considering doing the same over the wardrobe as well as creating a door that will close off the bedroom.  I haven't made a pattern yet, but when I do I will make it available to those who want it. You don't have to worry should you forget to take the panels out when closing as they will most likely fall out as you are taking down the bathroom walls.  An easy, do-it-yourself job that provides privacy and is also aesthetically pleasing.
Old 09-13-2001, 12:43 AM   #2

Default Re: Bathroom Privacy Panels

Would love to see pictures.  I wish TM would have put more thought into privacy.  Real privacy.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:13 AM   #3
KB7OUR

We're still waiting for some cool pics of the privacy panels.
Are they working out? Where do you store them?

Wade
Old 06-19-2002, 01:05 AM   #4
Chris_Bauer

Honest, I have the pictures but have had many problems with the format.  I don't have a digital camera and had the pics put on a CD.  I can put them into power point but can't seem to do much else with them.  I was able to load the pics (not the ones with the privacy panels) into a Yahoo group "Rversunder55" and they look great.  Guess I need to get crackin' now that Tretta has restored the pics file.  Give me a week.

Chris B.

P.S. They really are cool and work great.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:46 AM   #5
KB7OUR

Right click on the picture, select copy, then paste it into email or whatever.

Wade
Old 09-30-2002, 06:17 AM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Hey gang,

I was thinking about putting velcro on the "soft" panels and the wall to tighten the gap up, has anyone tried this? Then I thought that a fresh air vent could be put into the panel and could draw fresh air in through the top...although I don't want the odor to go the other way......hmmmm.

I was thinking about using some styrofoam and foam rubber to make some panels that I won't have to scribe as the foam will seal and conform...does this sound feasible?

I am going to just use thick foam at the side wall/bed gap area.
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:57 AM   #7
KB7OUR

My thought on the panels is to use actual wall paneling (cut with a jig saw or small coping saw) with dense blue foam padding sandwiched between 2 pieces and held together with some kind of glue that would work with the foam. Since the panels are so small this would not add much weight, but would be fairly rigid to stay in place. Also considering some means to hinge them in place into the ceiling if there is enough clearance when the TM is folded (need to research this). When you're ready to close up, just hinge the panels upward toward the ceiling then fasten them with a strap which has a snap on it. That's the idea and of course at this point it's no more than just that until I do a feasibility test.

Wade
Old 09-30-2002, 08:48 AM   #8
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Wade,

I am trying to visualize "dense blue foam padding", is this like those fiber ceiling panels, or rigid foam insulation panels?

I like the hinging idea, as long as they won't get mangled, that would be easiest as they won't get lost or stepped on.

I am also thinking of a way to hinge them at the wall, and if you use just 1/8" wood paneling that could be done easily I believe.

CWB
Old 09-30-2002, 09:48 AM   #9
KB7OUR

CWB,

The dense blue foam I have in mind is simply a sleeping bag pad you can purchase at various sporting goods stores.

Wade
Old 09-30-2002, 12:15 PM   #10
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Wade,

Thanks, now I know exactly what you are referring to.  Thanks.

CWB