TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2003, 04:37 AM   #1
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default How to make a check list

In answer to a discussion about preventing new-bie mistakes, I thought I would start a new topic on how to make a check list.  This forum is full of ideas that you don't want to forget.  

I like to make my check list on the computer so I can edit it as new ideas and items come up.  Then I just print out the latest list before the trip.  I make different check lists for different purposes.  Food on one list and camping stuff on another and maybe a special one for astronomy trips.  I find that laminating them makes it impossible to make additions and changes to the sequence of tasks.  Using plain paper allows you to literally check off items as you do them.  I even make 2 places to check off for double checking.  One check to get things out or to prepare them and the second check mark when I actually packed it in the vehicle.  Some things may not apply to this trip and you can cross them off the list.

I'll never forget the day as a new private pilot I wanted to show off to my folks.  But when reading the check list I was so distracted by the passengers that I tried to take off with one wing still tied down.  Embarassing.  So good habits of doing one thing at a time and marking them off right after you do them is best for me.

Do you have some ideas?

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:47 AM   #2

Default Re: How to make a check list

I am considering adding small clear numbered labels on the trailer at all of the steps opening and closing the trailer so that if I miss a number in the sequence it will remind me to go back to the proper next step.

A visual checklist as I go.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Bob,

For me, I don't need a check list to set up the Trailmanor. The problem is when taking down. Lots of times you are in a hurry or you are tired, and you forget to do some very important things. So here is when the checklist is beneficial.

1. Set refrig on DC.

2. Turn furnace off.

3. Turn switch off for water tank.

4. Make sure all interior lights are off including back storage area.

5. Pull the toilet lever to drain it, and flush down some water to clean it  better.

6.Make sure all ceiling vents are closed.

7. Make sure all windows are shut.

8. Make sure the roof antena is down.

9. Make sure electric cord is pushed in.

10. Make sure H2O is unhooked.

11. Make sure jacks are up.

12.Open all 4 drains, and open spickets inside to drain the water tank and lines.

13.Make sure everything is down low so you can close up the unit.

14. Once the unit is closed, latch all 4 corners.

15. Once hooked up, make sure safety chains, break away brake line is attached, and trailer plug for lights is plugged in. If you have a WD Hitch, make sure it is done properly. Also, do your sway bar if you use one.

16. Check that all lights are working.

17. Take a walk around to see that nothing is left behind.

18. If using chocks to block the wheels, don't forget them.

This is just a starter. I'm sure it can be edited to meet your needs.

Bob Strong

BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
bbeckham

We have often been very distracted by talkative visitors when hitching or unhitching the TM. I used a magic marker to put a check list on each of our propane tanks so we can glance at it while being distracted by well wishers.

Chocks
Wheel
Lights
Chains
Pin
Gas
Brake
Bars
Old 06-27-2003, 03:24 AM   #5
arknoah

I agree with Bob that the set up is the really simply thing -- taking it down offers lots of opportunities for screwing up.  I never thought about the idea of putting a simply checklist on the propane tanks, but particularly when you get used to the process, that might be all it takes.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:12 AM   #6
ColoradoCop

Bob,

Noticed two things missing from your excellent list.  Turn off Propane and Turn on Refer Fan.

Will use your list in the future, good job .

ColoradoCop
Old 06-27-2003, 06:57 AM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with Bob that the set up is the really simply thing -- taking it down offers lots of opportunities for screwing up.
Setting up is simple but please don't forget the silver bar latches at the four corners and the bed/slideout latches. I have heard several stories of people falling through the front bed and onto the hitch when they rolled aganst the front wall and the bed was not latched. The bed slides out from under them and there is nothing to grab hold of to break the fall.
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:44 AM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Does anyone have a checklist of setting up/folding down basic procedures you can pass along? Need asap, am considering a used TM and owner may or may not have these available. Thanks!
B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:17 AM   #9
hal

I can send a two sided brouchure containing instructions for setting up and taking down that our Dealer (The Car Show) gives to all its customers.  Please send me your email address.

Hal  [email protected]
Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
4happycampersinco

Default Trailmanor Set Up/Breakdown instructions?

Hello,
If you still have the directions to set up & breakdown the Trailmanor can you send them to:
[email protected]

Thanks & happy camping!
Tom