TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
CamperWayne

Question Towing with a Toyota Sienna

Is anyone using Air Lift Air Springs on a 2006 Sienna TV?

I am planning to pick up a new 2009 TM2619 next week. Hopefully the air bags will allow me to avoid investing in a weight distributing hitch. The TM2619 tongue weight is about 350 lbs., the max for the Sienna.

U-Haul did a good job installing a Class III hitch and electronic brake controller. Unfortunately, there are only 8 inches of ground clearance with the TV unloaded. Adding 350 lbs. of weight drops the clearance to only 6 inches. Hopefully the air bags will bring the van back to level.

Please let me know if you have any experience with air adjustable air springs. I ordered mine from JC Whitney for $85. They arrived today and (hopefully) will be installed tomorrow. The instructions make it sound like an easy job.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If you need a WDH, air bags aren't going to solve the problem. A WDH, as the name implies, redistributes weight from the tongue and puts it on the front TV axle and the TM axle. By removing some tongue weight and applying it to the front axle, in particular, the front axle will be more firmly on the ground, improving steering and headlight aim.

I've never had air bags before, but if I understand them correctly, they simply raise the frame.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I have a 2002 Sienna and am towing a 2009 2619 TM.

I have both a WDH and Airlift Bags.

I went with the WDH hitch when I bought the TM. With just the WDH, I usually went 5 links on the spring bars to even out the load on the Sienna.

I added Air-Lift bags a couple of months ago in addition to the WDH. With the addition of the bags, I can go to 4 links without sag on the Sienna. With the bags and WDH at 4 links, the ride is better and there's less stress and groaning from the spring bars on turns.

I agree with Dave, on a TV like a Sienna, the bags are not a substitute for a WDH. The WDH is doing the majority of the work - the bags are just making the ride a little more comfortable and taking a bit of stress off the spring bars.

Bags alone are just forcing the rear of the TV up, rather than distributing the weight across the TV. On some vehicles that may be fine, but on the Sienna I'd invest in the WDH.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
CamperWayne

Thanks to both of you for sharing your expertise. A WDH is now in the plan. The 2006 Sienna owner's manual says 350 lbs. is the maximum tongue weight. I suspect that my TM2619 will exceed 350 lbs. with full propane tanks, battery and personal items stowed. It's best to play it safe and install a WDH.

The Air Lift 1000 bags increased ground clearance below my hitch by 2 inches. At 20 lbs. of air pressure a 400 lb. load produced a sag of only one inch. That's a big improvement. I'm looking forward to testing the bags again when we pick up the new trailer next week.

Thanks again for your help. I'm impressed with the TM owner's group. It sounds like a large number of knowledgeable, helpful people out there!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Ranman68

CamperWayne, I'm interested in seeing if you have made any modifications to your Sienna van. We have an '05 Sienna and are looking to get a 3023. We don't have the tow package on the van and have talked with the local Toyota dealer about what would be needed to tow one of these trailers and was told they could put the hitch and harness on and I'd be good to go. Just wondering if you're doing anything different to your van.
Ranman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
ColdFlame

Ranman68,

Without a doubt, definitely invest in a transmission cooler in addition to the hitch/wiring. I would also purchase your trailer brake controller in advance (I suggest Tekonsha Prodigy) and have them put it in at the same time. Something to consider anyway!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranman68 View Post
CamperWayne, I'm interested in seeing if you have made any modifications to your Sienna van. We have an '05 Sienna and are looking to get a 3023. We don't have the tow package on the van and have talked with the local Toyota dealer about what would be needed to tow one of these trailers and was told they could put the hitch and harness on and I'd be good to go. Just wondering if you're doing anything different to your van.
You do not need a transmission cooler or anything else for that van. I have personally confirmed with Toyota that your van, and mine (2006) have the tran cooler and everything else already in place, and you just need to have the wiring and the hitch. I'm in the process of finishing this project myself
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
... your van, and mine (2006) have the tran cooler and everything else already in place, ...
I don't mean to be the grumpy old man, but I've heard this statement before, and it continues to confuse me. Let's start with the fact that any vehicle with an automatic transmission has a transmission cooler. So when the dealer tells you that it's already got a cooler, he's telling you the truth. But the question isn't whether it has a cooler. It is whether the cooler that was designed for the vehicle alone is big enough to handle the added burden of towing a trailer that weighs almost as much as the vehicle itself. And especially if you are towing in hilly or mountainous terrain. Does Toyota really put twice as much cooling capacity as is needed into every vehicle it makes? I guess you have to trust the Toyota dealer ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
PopBeavers

Years ago I added an external transmission cooler to my 1971 Chevy 4wd truck, even though I was only towing a motorcycle trailer.

Driving uphill at freeway speeds in the Nevada desert, I just thought it would be a good idea.

If you do not have a temperature gauge to display the transmission temperature, then you will have no idea how it it actually is.

The penalty for guessing wrong is severe.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
ColdFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I don't mean to be the grumpy old man, but I've heard this statement before, and it continues to confuse me. Let's start with the fact that any vehicle with an automatic transmission has a transmission cooler. So when the dealer tells you that it's already got a cooler, he's telling you the truth. But the question isn't whether it has a cooler. It is whether the cooler that was designed for the vehicle alone is big enough to handle the added burden of towing a trailer that weighs almost as much as the vehicle itself. And especially if you are towing in hilly or mountainous terrain. Does Toyota really put twice as much cooling capacity as is needed into every vehicle it makes? I guess you have to trust the Toyota dealer ...

Bill
Bill,

I agree 100% with you. Transmission coolers are standard on newer vehicles, to a point. Whether or not the generic stock one is adequate enough to handle the added heat generated from towing is entirely different. I'd like to think that Toyota would engineer their vehicles and put them on ALL automatic Toyota's, but I know that isn't the case with my truck for example.

In the case of Tacoma's, you get a transmission cooler IF you order the factory tow package. I would imagine it would have some type of cooler on it without the tow package, but they go out of their way to mention that it is added specifically with the tow package.