TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
whbob

Default Anyone towing with GM 6-speed auto

GM is offering a 5.3 gas with a 6-speed auto - non-allison in a crew cab. Is anyone towing with this vehicle - either Chevy or GMC?
What is your experience?
Old 04-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No, but I'm towing with a Ford 6-speed auto. I love it. Towing-wise, a definite improvement over the earlier 5-speed auto, which beat the heck out the earlier 4-speed auto.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
whbob

Default Explorer 6 speed

Bill, how does it pull on grades? I also have a 2720.
Also does it have an overdrive cut-out or does it adjust the shift points like GM's large vehicles? Do you pull in overdrive? Finally, do you use a weight distributing hitch? Thanks, whbob.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD long bed with the 6 speed, but it is a 6.0.

I also have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD standard bed (6.5 feet) with the 6.0 and the 4 speed transmission.

Can can not tell any difference due to the transmission.

Both are 4wd. The 2500 porpoises less when towing. I attribute that mostly to the longer wheel base.

I can tell you this from experience, when towing eastbound in the Sierras, when getting back onto the freeway, and the on ramp is uphill, and the elevation is above 6,000 feet, I can accelerate so that when I merge I am doing 55 mpg. When just towing on the freeway over Donner Summit, I can use cruise control all the way and maintain 55 mph, the state limit when towing. Any smaller motor may not do as well.

I would expect, however, that on flatter ground and/or at lower elevations the 5.3 would be fine.

I have never been to North Carolina (yet), but my memory from high school geography tells me that your elevations are a little lower that I commonly find in California, or others find in Colorado.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by whbob View Post
Bill, how does it pull on grades? I also have a 2720.
Also does it have an overdrive cut-out or does it adjust the shift points like GM's large vehicles? Do you pull in overdrive? Finally, do you use a weight distributing hitch? Thanks, whbob.
Bob -

In the tall steep parts of the Rockies or the high Sierras, it does OK, but I'm not going to tell you that "I don't even know it's back there", as so many people do. The altitude decreases engine horsepower a lot, and the transmission can't really make up for that. If I recall correctly, the rule of thumb is 3% per thousand feet, so I start to feel it around 6-7,000 feet. However, the extra gears do make it easier to keep the RPM at a point where the engine has reasonable power, but isn't screaming. In my Explorer, on the flats, the transmission is programmed to keep the engine around 1800-2000 RPM. Climbing a steep high-altitude grade with the TM behind, I am willing to run it up to 4000 RPM, but seldom higher. Red line is 6500. If I were willing to go higher in RPM, then I could go faster on the hills, but I am unwilling to beat the engine. That's a personal choice, of course. I expect 200K out of my cars, even though I tow a lot.

The Explorer does not have a Tow/Haul mode that changes the shift points. I wish it did. I think that is a better approach, especially if there is also an Overdrive Lockout switch.

The Explorer does have an overdrive lockout switch. It actually locks out both 5th and 6th gears, and leaves me running in 4th. I don't mind that - if conditions warrant locking out overdrive, then 4th gear is probably where I would set it manually anyway.

I normally tow in 6th gear until the transmission begins to "hunt", or shift between 5th and 6th fairly often. Then I switch off. On our heavily-loaded twice-a-year cross-country trips, this gets us from Flagstaff to, say, Pittsburg. The Mogollon Rim in Arizona certainly causes hunting, and the rolling terrain in western Pennsylvania can do it, though not everywhere. Remember, of course, that the Explorer has a small V-8 (4.6L), so more shifting is to be expected compared to Wayne's 6-liter moose!

Interestingly, at least to me, the transmission runs cooler (I have a gauge) in 4th gear with the engine at 4000 RPM than it does if I fancy-foot and keep the tranny in a higher gear and the engine at a lower RPM.

To summarize, having more gears allows you to fine-tune the engine RPM to the road speed better. At 2000 RPM, the engine doesn't have much power. That's why the tranny tries to keep it there - to sip gas and give better fuel economy in daily driving. But if you need power to climb a grade, you have to increase the RPM, and a range of available gears allows you to do it better.

Yes, I use a Reese WDH. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
SCBillandJane

I don't have a Chevy, but I do have a 6 speed. Get it if you can. This allows a manufacturer to give you a "power" rear axle to get started and a cruising final drive ratio for good economy. Also, you have more gears to slow you down going downhill.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote