TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
my toys

Cool Air lifts still needed?

I was towing a Fleetwood popup with a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. I had air lifts installed in my springs. I will now be towing a 2000 2720sl with a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder. Max tongue weight on the 1997 was 250. Max tongue weight on the 2004 is 500. I do not want to use a weight distribution hitch. Should I have the air lifts switched over to the new vehicle?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Scott O

I'm sure others will chime in with a massive amount of useful information, but before the deluge maybe you could share why you don't want to use a weight distribution hitch. This is a relatively standard item that no one seems to have a problem with...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
mtnguy

With the 480 lb. tongue weight of my 2720 (before I added a 2nd battery and fresh water), the rear axle weight of my F150 increased 700 lbs., and I lost 220 lbs. on the front axle. With lift bags, those figures would not have changed.....the lift bags would only lift the rear end of the truck up. A trip to your local scales when loaded for camping, and a check of the Rear Axle Weight Rating might be in order of you don't use a WDH. Depending on the rear overhang, and wheelbase of your vehicle, your results might not be as dramatic as mine.

I see you have already done research on your hitch capacities. I also had a 500 lb weight carrying capacity, but the weight distributing capacity is 990 lbs. Without a WDH, I would have been over the hitch capacity after I added the extra battery and fresh water.

Chap
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
larsdennert

Coil springs are soft. You'd be wise to keep the bags. Setup right you should be able to avoid a wdh. It's not for everyone. A wdh is a good option for some. The TM has a relatively high tongue weight. I did not find enough decrease in front end load to warrant a wdh on my setup.
(I sound like a broken record)

The Pathfinder has a very strong rear axle and differential.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
my toys

Smile air bags

I have nothing against a wdh. I just don't want to get one if I don't have to. I had a feeling someone would mention them. I actually towed the T.M. home (about 300 miles) with my old vehicle. Probably not the smartest thing to do. I barely noticed it was back there. I think the new pathfinder will handle the T.M. just fine. However, then I noticed a post mentioning soft springs. So, I just thought I would ask. Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larsdennert posted
Quote:
I sound like a broken record
I know the feeling, Lars. I feel like that too, but on the other side of the discussion.

MyToys says that the Pathfinder specs a maximum tongue weight of 500 pounds, and he/she is pretty sure that the tongue weight of a 2720SL can be kept under 500 pounds. Possibly that's true, but even if it is, it won't be far below the rating, and I personally don't like situations where there is no margin.

But that is not the sole issue. As Chap points out, the other issue is the weight carried by the rear axle of the Pathfinder. With no WDH, the rear axle will be called upon to carry not only the normal rear-axle weight of the Pathfinder, but also the entire hitch weight of the TM, plus the weight of whatever "stuff" is packed in the way-back of the Pathfinder, plus a portion of whatever weight is in the front and rear seats. Will that overload the rear axle? I don't know. It depends on how MyToys packs the vehicle. But I would be concerned.

The axle weight rating, known as GAWR (Rear), is posted on a sticker on the driver's side door. It would be a good idea for MyToys to note this number, then find a scale and actually weigh the rear axle with the rig fully packed and ready to camp, with full gas tank and all passengers aboard.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
my toys

Smile air bags

I have all the weights listed in my camper folder. My GAWR is 2851. Only one peron and whatever junk I take with me. However, I will be hitting the scale since I didn't weight the T.M. when I brought it home.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
larsdennert

I don't think he will exceed the rating of the rear axle. The Toyota rear axle is a 30 spline unit equivalent to a Dana 44. The Nissan (live axle) had a differential large than the Toyota. I'm not sure about the new IRS (Independent) Nissans. It will be a matter of sagging suspension due to weight and handling. If those are ok you should be fine.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
I don't think he will exceed the rating of the rear axle. The Toyota rear axle is a 30 spline unit equivalent to a Dana 44. The Nissan (live axle) had a differential large than the Toyota. I'm not sure about the new IRS (Independent) Nissans. It will be a matter of sagging suspension due to weight and handling. If those are ok you should be fine.
Lars, I not quite sure that the rear GAWR has anything to do with the differential specs. I think it has more to do with the springs, weight on the wheel bearings and such. Even a 2 wheel drive has a front GAWR, even though it doesn't have axles (but spindles) and gears.

Chap
Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
larsdennert

You're right. Springs usually deterime the weight rating. I was just pointing out that the Pathfinder has 3/4 ton running gear and that should be well up to the task if he can sort out the springs. Unlike towing with some SUVs that have what amounts to passenger car drivetrain. You have to be more gentle with, say a Highlander which was originally built on a camry, or a Caravan that was built on the K car chassis.