TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Rookie

Default Sway control

We're upgrading a 2000 F150 4.2/V6 4WD truck to pull our 3023. We were using a 2001 F150 V8 that we're going to sell (we have too many vehicles but want our 4WD).

I was out on the JC Whitney site looking at weight distribution and sway control because every 18 wheeler on the freeway has a tendancy to "suck" the trailer into their slipstream and we get blown around a bit.

However, these "systems" go anywhere from $69.95 to well over $500 and they don't all work the same. I don't want to spend too much but also don't want to choose the wrong system.

Any advice?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We bought our EAZ-Lift WDH + Sway Bar combo for our Land Rover from a seller on eBay by the name of RV Adventures. They shipped very fast & everything was just as described. Also the price was very reasonable. Installation was very easy.

Here is a link to the seller I purchased from

Also I called EAZ-Lift manufacture because I didn't know much about WDH's. Their rep was very helpful this is what helped me make the decision to go with the EAZ-Lift Brand. I am still waiting for a call back from another well known manufacture mths later.

Most people say the TM doesn't need a sway control but I decided to just hook it up anyway for extra safety since we received one with our WDH.

Good Luck

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Rookie

Default EAZ Lift

Thanks! So is that one that has two arms on either side? Ball park pricing?

Will contact them on Monday! When we're generally towing over flat land (like Florida) the sway is not noticeable except when transfer trucks fly by. I generally keep it between 65 and 70 mph. However, when you start towing on highways that have tons of curves, it gets pretty slow and somewhat "squirrelly". The truck was already "squirrelly" because it is a short bed 4WD and it kinda darts all over (just a fact of life for that type of vehicle).

Our mechanic is going to replace the shocks and put lower profile tires on it and the WDH and sway bar will help.

The one I was looking at was a CURT and came with a free sway bar for $269.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Slowing down will lessen what sway you are experiencing. I normally tow at 60 MPH and experience very little sway when I get passed by a truck going in the opposite direction. Those time I do go faster, it gets worse.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
PopBeavers

What is your tongue weight?

I have never experience any sway at all in 4 years, including when the blow out occurred. My truck is bigger than yours, but I don't see that as having anything to do with sway. I can understand that my bigger truck reduces the need for a WD hitch, but I don't see any correlation with sway.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Thanks! So is that one that has two arms on either side?
Ours has one arm on each side for the WDH & we only have the one Sway control mounted on the passenger side of the WDH

Quote:
Ball park pricing?
The link I posted had the actual price for the EAZ-Lift 1009 WDH & one sway control at $177.99 + $49.95 S/H = $227.94

I noticed he also sells the Curt Brand WDH + sway control for $182.99 + $44.99 S/H = $227.98

Quote:
Will contact them on Monday!
The only way to get the eBay price they have is to buy thru his eBay auction.

Quote:
When we're generally towing over flat land (like Florida) the sway is not noticeable except when transfer trucks fly by. I generally keep it between 65 and 70 mph. However, when you start towing on highways that have tons of curves, it gets pretty slow and somewhat "squirrelly". The truck was already "squirrelly" because it is a short bed 4WD and it kinda darts all over (just a fact of life for that type of vehicle).
We are towing our 3023 with a Land Rover which is a very short wheel base. We have had no issues with towing with or without a sway control so far. Although as I stated already I have it so I use it for a little extra safety.

The WDH was definitely needed though since the TM made the Headlights look more like Search Lights.

I also tow at the speeds you do mostly & so far have had no issues with Flat or Hilly terrain.

We originally bought the TM because we wanted to use our Land Rover but decided against a PopUp for various reasons. I was a little concerned how the Rover would tow but it has surpprised me how well it does. Also Land Rovers are Full Time 4x4s.

2008 3023

Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Someone on this board had a fit problem with a Curt hitch. I don't remember the details, but it would be worth using the Search tool to find it and review it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I just know the EAZ-Lift worked well & I didn't have to modify anything it just worked.

Good Advice though because when I was researching I did notice some may not work as well as others with the TM.

2008 3023

Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
SCBillandJane

I also tow with a light duty 4 wheel drive pick up. In the last 6 months we have traveled from the most Northwest point in the US in Alaska to the most Southeast point at Key West, Florida. No sway under any conditions, and only a WDH hitch without sway control. I agree with PopBeaver. You need to check the weights. Another source of sway is using P instead of LT tires or having the wrong air pressure front versus back. Look at the owners manual to see if Ford has a special recommendation on air pressure for a heavily loaded truck. I agree with some other posters that solving the problem without sway control is best. If you have something causing sway with a Trailmanor then a sway control will hide the problem and which can turn around and bite you. After finding the problem, adding sway control as extra insurance is a choice.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Rookie

Default Sway Control

OK...thanks for the feedback!

Let me fill you in on this sway we experience sometimes. My husband was following me as I was using 2001 F150 automatic. As a transfer truck passed us in the left lane, he says the rear of trailer actually moved toward the passing truck. He also said that the TV DID NOT sway.

So, we've checked tire pressures on the trailer and the TV and they are correct per the manufacturer. Also, a note, we have been carrying a Honda 3000 generator on a flatbed mounted on the TM rear hitchmount. It weighs 105 lbs. With that generator attached, my husband I cannot pick up the trailer tongue (we're farmers and between the two of us, there isn't a towed implement that we can't move). So, we also wonder if there is something about the tongue weight being excessive. I thought a 3023 should only have around 300lbs tongue weight. We're pretty sure it seems to be over 500lbs.

Is there any adjustment with the axle? This 2002 TM is a used model that only had one owner. We do not store anything in the TM other than pots, pans, dishes, etc. So, there really isn't any weight that we've added other than the generator. What other factors could there be?