TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
jcjim4

Default 2720SL weight info

Based on my '08 2720SL and an '06Tundra4x4 with no WDH:

I: Factory info per sticker on the sink cabinet door:
GVWR =4217 lbs
-UVW 3208
-26 Gal.Water216
-Propane 40
=CCC =753 lbs

II: My info based on actual truck scale weigh-in today:
TM&TV 6190 lbs
TV Only -2770
TM Only =3420
TV Only -2770
=Hitch Wt.=650 Lbs (see nest post for more info)
Old 03-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
jcjim4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim4 View Post
Based on my '08 2720SL and an '06Tundra4x4 with no WDH:

I: Factory info per sticker on the sink cabinet door:
GVWR =4217 lbs
-UVW 3208
-26 Gal.Water216
-Propane 40
=CCC =753 lbs

II: My info based on actual truck scale weigh-in today:
TM&TV 6190 lbs
TV Only -2770
TM Only =3420
TV Only -2770
=Hitch Wt.=650 Lbs
2720sl wt info cont'd: The above weighing method was based on RockyMtnRay info contained in his post of 12-3-04. I also tried the bathroom scale method to arrive at a hitch wt and got 492 lbs. I'm assuming that the truck scale method of 650 lbs is the most accurate? The TM wt included most everything except water,food,drinks, clothes. e-mail me for more confusion?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
mtnguy

OK, I don't know if this will make it simpler or more complicated, but this is what I did:

Gave the girl at the local quarry a donation to the Cancer Society...per her request. No problems with that.

The quarry has a single scale, not for multiple axles.

With no TM hooked up, weighed just the front axle of the truck, then both axles, then just the rear axle.

Went home and hooked up the TM. Again weighed the front axle of the TV, both axles of the truck, all 3 axles on the scales, and then just the TM axle.

Front TV axle: 1st weight minus 2nd equals front axle unloading.
Rear TV axle: 2nd weight minus 1st equals rear axle loading.
Tongue weight: 2nd weight minus 1st of the TV only (both axles) equals tongue weight.
Total TM weight: Total of all 3 axles on the scales from the 2nd weigh-in, minus the total of the truck from the 1st weights. That should also equal the tongue weight (calculated above) plus the axle only of the TM from the 2nd weigh-in. OK, that sound confusing to me, even though I wrote it.

I did all of this several more times to determine the best position for my WDH.

The quarry here has a big digital readout that you can see at the end of the scales. I just made a chart, and plugged in the figures from the seat of the truck when the readout settled down. When reading the TM axle weights, I did have to get out of the truck (staying on the scales) and walk back a couple of feet because I was too far forward to take the reading.

The quarry scales have 20 lb. increments.

The worst part of all of this was waiting for a slack time in between dump trucks.

Hope this helps.

Chap
Old 03-22-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
PopBeavers

mtnguy (Chap)

Can you post the data. All I ever did was weigh my three axles loaded. I would be interesting in all of the weights you measured, both loaded (final) and unloaded.

I don't have easy access to scales and am very curious about you data.

I have similar equipment, but no WD hitch. My TV is I think a little bigger than yours.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
mtnguy (Chap)

Can you post the data. All I ever did was weigh my three axles loaded. I would be interesting in all of the weights you measured, both loaded (final) and unloaded.

Wayne, I will gladly post my results later today or tomorrow. But for right now, it is a pretty day outside, and my wife actually wants me to do some yard work instead of messing around on the computer.

Chap
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
jcjim4

Would like comments on why my hitch weight of 19% is higher than the 10-15% referred to on the forum?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Smile Hitch weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjim4 View Post
Would like comments on why my hitch weight of 19% is higher than the 10-15% referred to on the forum?
First, Thank You! for posting your numbers. We all know it's a pain to get these, and we know how important it is to be able to work from hard data.

Tongue weights for the empty 2720's with the front slides are higher because of the front slide being heavier than just the front end of the box. I would expect that the bathroom scale method for tongue weight would be more accurate if measured carefully (errors in the lever distances multiply weighing errors, of course).

I'm replacing the monster battery on the outside tongue with a sealed gel-cell type in a storage cabinet as far aft as possible to reduce weight in general and specifically reduce tongue weight. This will cost both money and battery capacity, so this won't be the right idea for everybody, but it will allow better trailer capacity for more important stuff. I'll get complete numbers and post them here, once I am finished and can get it on a scale. Maybe I'll try to figure out how to weigh the trailer one wheel at a time with a bottle jack and the bathroom scale.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
mtnguy (Chap)

Here ya go Wayne:

The variables: Options (including options of low profile a/c, 11' awning, TV antenna, hanging cabinet, microwave box w/drawer, stove cover), 1 group 24 battery on the tongue, with water & holding tanks empty, propane tanks full, and lightly loaded (some pots, pans, and dishes, bed covers, some other camping supplies, chock blocks, but no foodstuff.....total estimated weights @ 200 lbs):

Truck weights (with me @ 185 lbs):
Front Axle 3320
Rear Axle 2560
Total 5880

With Trailmanor hooked up (65 lbs. of WDH are included):
Front Axle 3100
Rear Axle 3260
TM Axle 2920
Tongue 480

WDH with 8 lengths of chain:
Front Axle 3160
Rear Axle 3160
TM Axle 2960
Tongue 440

WDH with 7 lengths of chain:
Front Axle 3240
Rear Axle 3000
TM Axle 3040
Tongue 360

I figure when I load the missus and front of the truck bed up for camping, than the front axle should be loaded more, so I usually tow with 7 lengths of chain. If I am traveling with a heavy load in the bed and water in my fresh water tank, I will crank the WDH to 6 lengths, which I have never done weights on.

Hope this helps,

Chap
Old 03-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! That's good info, Chap! Thanks. I'm going to spend some time digesting that. But the first thing I notice is the 220 pound drop in front axle load, and the 700 pound increase in rear axle load, if a WDH is not used.

It certainly illustrates the principle of the thing, especially since you have a rather hefty and rather long tow vehicle. The effect would certainly be worse on a shorter, lighter vehicle.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Dumb question.

When you're hitched, how do you know what the tongue weight is?

Thanks!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote