TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Security - a little paranoia is good for you

Apparently there have been some minor kid-related thefts from RVs in our local county and state RV campgrounds. Mostly young kids doing "hit-and-run" break-ins when the know the owner is gone, televisions, cameras, and whatever they can grab in a minute. Most victims have left their doors unlocked or suffered a quick cut of the screen on the windows obscured from the roads.

It got me to thinking about the space behind the sofa on the 3124KS (and similar floorplans). That gap seems big enough for an average adult to just slip though in a jiffy. Of course they'd have to know it was there in the first place.

Anyone had occasion to be concerned about that, or found a way to secure it so it would require enough effort to discourage some punk? Maybe one of those cheap door alarms?

Never thought about that kind of RV security before, but just saw an article on this in a local rag.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

The 3124KS is the model that we are interested in...where exactly is this gap you are talking about? I have never noticed it when looking at models.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
The 3124KS is the model that we are interested in...where exactly is this gap you are talking about? I have never noticed it when looking at models.
It's the flap behind the sofa, covering the gap between the front wall and the top of the sofa back. You don't see it because the flap is designed to cover it. It's much wider than it is on the side walls. A quick tug or slice would free up the flap in seconds.

Please understand that I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, just curious if others have given it a thought. In any event, such a break-in seems unlikely: the perp would have to know the trailmanor's construction to begin with (you can't see the gap from the exterior unless you are tipped off, and campgrounds are generally very safe places in my experience). Only even occurred to me because of the report mentioned in my OP. I'd guess you'd be hard-pressed to find a single incident on the board, so not worth losing sleep over.

The most I might ever do in an urban campground situation would be to move my valuables to the tow vehicle if I was leaving for the day.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Rich,

We have a 2720SL which has a similar gap behind the couch. I wondered about the same thing after we got it, but when I really looked at it (the gap), I don't think anybody but a child could climb up through that gap.

I am alway carefull to make sure the latches in front of the couch are fully inserted when I assemble it.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Ohhh okay I have noticed a deeper ledge there ...hmm did not really investigate it by looking under the flap. Will have to do that....

I did think it would be a handy place to set our traditional bows and quivers...out of the way for the night and easy to grab in the morning.

My husbands sister and brother in law once to work at the Spirit of the Suwannee River Campground and Music Park.....they told us campgounds are not always as safe as they seem. I guess if someone wants in... they will find a way regardless of the type of camper.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

On our 2005 3124KS, we find the shelf behind the couch handy for placing any number of items. I don't believe, even after tearing, slicing, and riping all they could, that thieves could gain entry that way.
2blueranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Joe

Same here. We put so much stuff on that shelf it would be difficult for anyone but the most determined person to get in that way.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Rich_in_Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper View Post
I'd be more worried about someone taking a crowbar and prying the entrance door open. That would take probably 20 seconds. Then a thief could walk in, look around, fill up a pillow case and walk off.
Someone jerking open a door in 20 seconds would not attract as much attention as someone breaking in the front shell. Now that may take 5 minutes.
Lots of TT doors have about as much security as the TM....

Good points. Why get fancy when a well-placed crowbar or kick would serve just as well?

They're welcome to my dirty underwear and toilet water deodorizer any time . My camera and binoculars will be in the tow vehicle with the high tech alarm system and noisy siren.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Freedom

If you really want to get into a locked TM, (the older ones without a deadbolt) you just grab the knob and jerk it toward the front and out at the same time. It will open every time.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Jim - sssssh!

2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote