TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Buzzardrump

Default 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad 4X4

I am considering the purchase of a 3023 TM. My TV is a 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab Short Bed 4X4 with the small (4.7L) V-8 and I have changed the differentials from 3.55 to 4.10. I live on the west coast and most driving will be in the Rockies, Sierras, or the Cascades - so lots of mountains. Looking for opinions on the combination of my truck and the 3023. If forced to could go down to a 2720 but really prefer the larger size for comfort. And it is a forgone conclusion that I will use a WDH or WEH.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Can be pulled with this truck had same truck engine in my set up 2004 4.7 and a 3023 will pull great on flat land like trailer is not even there!!! Going up hills you will feel the trailer and your pedal will be to the floor 65 to 70 mph up hills max!!! Travel over 5000 miles in 2 years with this set up!! The Hemi would do better, the Cummins will pull anything!!!!! The Rip
Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You should be good to go with this combo, although you will want to be sure you have an aux transmission cooler. Did your truck come with a factory tow package? If so, the cooler will be part of that package.

My Explorer has a 4.6L small V-8, and in the high country, I describe it as "adequate". Your 4.10 rear end will help, but don't expect miracles. The problem isn't steep grades, as much as it is the lack of air at altitude. My Explorer begins to feel it at about 7,000-8,000 feet. By the time I get to 10K, it is struggling.

My preference is to hold the RPM to 4,000 or less (red line is 6,000) and let the road speed fall where it may, rather than trying to maintain some given road speed at the expense of flogging the engine. But that's just me - I'm pretty conservative about this stuff (and since my Explorer has 135,000 miles and is still going strong, it seems to have worked).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #4
Buzzardrump

Thank you for the input - I changed the gears to 4.10's as the truck struggled with long climbs with the 3.55's - now it gallops up hills - but was concerned about towing some weight. I agree with the idea of watching the RPM's and letting the MPH fall where it will...never in that much of a hurry now that I am retired. Again thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
rtry9a

IMHO, your 4.11 gears will do just fine. I pull a 3023 with an Explorer sport with the 4.2L OHV V-6 and the 4.10 gears/tow package. I live near SLC, Utah where most driving involves mountains (west slope of the rockies). The rig has a 5-speed automatic close-ratio transmission with a lockable overdrive. It has delivered all Ive asked/needed so far.

Pulling is all about torque- we get it by converting HP (high rpm) to torque through a transmission (as in a small high revving/ short-throw crankshaft engine), or by using a big displacement engine with a long stroke crankshaft. Both deliver torque to the ground just fine, but you might ask yourself which is lighter, economical, environmentally friendly, and used within its design envelope most of the time.

Like everything mechanical, all choices are compromises. Personally, I do NOT feel the need to drive at 80 mph over mountain passes, 55-60 is both safer and within the towing Laws in most states. It is certainly better for staying out of trouble on downgrades. The high-revving small engine just shifts down once or twice on steep grades and stays near 60 mph doing so- it is better for the engine (no lugging, better cooling) and the combo gets reasonable mileage everywhere else. I assume the small V-8 Dodge is similar.