TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Maxxis Tires

I am going to replace my tires this year, as it is year 5 on the factory tires. I had pretty much thought that I would just stick with Marathons from Goodyear, but in looking at websites, I am not so sure anymore. The reviews for the Maxxis are quite impressive, and the specs are a close match, but I was wondering if anyone here has used Maxxis on their TM? Any experiences would be apreciated.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I also spent time researching tires and concluded that tire manufacturing, like oil refining, requires massive investments in manufacturing plants and there are a lot more tire brands than manufacturing plants. If Maxxis tires are made in the US or Canada they are likely made in a Goodyear plant although not necessarily to the same standards as Goodyear tires -- could be better or worse although they are likely the same tire. I've just installed a set of Marathons that were made in New Zealand, of all places.

I've also seen trailer tires that were made in China and Indonesia. Those may be better, worse or equal to Marathons but I don't know how you would know or find out. They all supposedly meet the same minimum specs. I went with Marathons simply because I thought I would be more likely to find a Goodyear dealer while traveling to honor the warranty. My second choice would have been Kelleys which are apparently made by Goodyear and are identical to Marathons but are about $30.00 cheaper. Good luck with your search and let us know how things work out.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default 205 vs. 215?

Thanks Leon, yes, I remember reading of your blowout plight. I can't find out whether Maxxis and Marathons are made by the same company (Goodyear?), but I wanted to pose another question. I am thinking of going with ST215/75R14 instead of the 205's, it is only $2 more per tire, but gives an additional 110 pounds of load capacity. Is there any downside that anyone can think of for going to the 215's?

Larry
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I thought they all came with 215's. I know my '02 and my '06 both did. Are you saying yours came with 205's?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Freedom

Check clearances. On our trailer there isn't much room between the tire and the back of the wheel well - maybe 1/2 inch. A 215/75 will be a little taller than a 205/75, not a lot, but some thing like 8-10 mm. Remember, too, that the tire moves back (in an arc) as the arm on the axle rotates upward, it doesn't go straight up and down. On our trailer I think it would work, but I've never looked at a 2720.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I thought they all came with 215's. I know my '02 and my '06 both did. Are you saying yours came with 205's?

Bill
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I didn't look closely enough.....I "thought" they were 205's, but they could be 215's...I will check them later...thanks for the info Bill. If they ARE 215's, then I would guess that there is no downside to directly replacing the tires.... ;-)
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
CAmark
Site Sponsor

...only to your wallet...
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Joe

I think it depends on the age of your TM. My tires are 205's but I've seen newer trailers with 215's. I echo Jim's caution about clearance. There isn't much room between the tire and the rear of the wheelwell. I wonder if there is a way to 'jack up' one wheel so as to get maximum wheel travel, so you could measure the minimum clearance.
It might be easier to call TrailManor and ask them what changes they made to use the 215's.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Steverino

FWIW, my '99 2720 has 215/75-14's. The trailer was unmodified, suspension-wise, and worked fine with no interference between tires and frame. I added a factory lift kit to help with ground clearance and to help level the rig when towing.

Currently has two Marathons, and one no name (I bought the unit used, so don't know the history). Marathons have dates of 1/99 and 12/98, no-name 1/03. No-name is about to be the spare and I guess Goodyear will get two tires worth of dough out of me this winter!

Steve
Old 01-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Steverino

Default Goodyear Tire Info

I just ran across this PDF file on Goodyear's site. Haven't read it all yet, but it does offer some useful information on the care and feeding of their RV tires, including our Marathons.

You'll want to scroll past most of the first 8 pages or so (all about non-trailer RV tires). Marathons come next, and then care info.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

Enjoy!

Steve