TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
BobRederick

Default Anyone familiar with full timing in a Trailmanor?

I am interested in purchasing a TM, particularly as it is something that I can efficiently tow behind a GMC Envoy (5600# max). I am interested in some extended travel in it in he next few years. Maybe Alaska and/or Canada.
* Has anyone used a TM for full timing?
* Any TM recommendations from the viewpoint of several months on the road?
* If you did it, would you do it again?
* You can email me at home or on the forum.
Lots of great help on this forum. Keep up the good work.

Bob Rederick
PS. I just moved this post from General Discussion to New Users.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:11 PM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure what you mean by full timing? The commonly accepted meaning is living in an RV full time with no other permanent home. It sounds like you just want to travel extensively. We've enjoyed trips of up to 11,000 miles and three months in our 2619 and think it's a great rig for our needs. We always come home to our lock-it-and-leave-it townhouse condo at the end of our trips however. That works well for us and I think we could enjoy even longer TM trips if we could keep finding interesting places to go and interesting things to do (yes retirement is a tough life) but the time always comes when we look at each other and agree it's time to head home. I don't think we could live in the TM full time. Most full timers have big tripple-slide 5th wheels or motorhomes although Im sure it's possible to enjoy life in much smaller rigs. RV traveling and RV living are two entirely different things in my mind.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Windbreaker

Don't know if it will help any or not but DW and I often take 15 day long trips. The one thing that really stands out is how roomy our modest little home is when we get back to it. I am looking forward to longer trips but DW said "get a bigger trailer first!". So next year or the one after I'm getting a 30' fiver.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
BobRederick

Default Full Timing

Thanks for all the responses.

Our style would be "travel extensively" but keep the home. I am interested in fulltimer's opinions as they would be needing more rig than I would as a reference point.

Windbreaker, you are wanting a "30' fiver". I'm new here.... does that mean 5th wheel? And I am interested in which TM do you currently own?

The thing about being in the same room all the time is a concern of mine also. No matter the size of the rig, you are in the same room unless there is a door on the bedroom or the bathroom is large enough!

Point of interest: the Tucson TM dealer stated that the average ownership is 7 campers.... #6 is too big & #7 is a downsize for practicality. Hmmmm, I've owned 3 pop-ups now and rented popups and motorhomes.

Bob
Old 08-30-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
Windbreaker

Yes, a fiver is a 5th wheel. Aljo and Layton make good sized light weigth fivers, with slides that are under 12 feet high and under 8K lbs. I still want the better mpg. The only thing we don't like about these units is that you still have to crawl into bed. These guys make many trailers that a 1/2 ton truck can pull. The units we are looking at are the 27+ or 29+ feet long units (kots of room just not much for sleeping, who needs sleep when traveling?).
Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
Donde1

[QUOTE=BobRederick]I am interested in purchasing a TM,
* Has anyone used a TM for full timing?
* Any TM recommendations from the viewpoint of several months on the road?
* If you did it, would you do it again?

Bob Rederick

My wife and I, and one Yorkie, traveled extensively in a 3326King for 6 months and absolutely loved it. We felt we had plenty of room, our goal was to ease into full-time. We truly believed the TM 3326King would work as our only home, UNTIL we tried to put everything we owned into the TM.
This had been a three year plan. First we downsized from 3BR 2BTH 2 acres in the country to a 2BR apt. Then extended travel in TM. We thought we where ready for full-time and had found the perfect RV. So on the road we went. Suddenly what had before seemed like plenty of closet and dresser drawer space, was a tight squeeze. Cutting to the chase, two and a half months of the TM being our only home I (still in love with 14mpg) was fine, however my wife could not go on full-time in the TM.
We are still full-time and loving it, but we are now in a 5er (10mpg yuck).

I wouldn't change anything I'm glad we did the way we did (process of elimination), our 5er is enough like a home that we are both happy. I do wish TM built a 5er.

Bottom line the TM is great, even for very long periods of time, when you have a home to go home to. So yes I would do it (extended travel in a TM) again.

P.S. We have a very nice amazingly new-like 1993 3326King for sale!!! $9500

Donde & Debbie in NM
Old 04-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
cmc211

Since we sold our home we have lived in our TM for about 2 months now. I find it snug for 3 however perfect for 2. When I retire from the Navy in 5 years I plan on hitting the road for a year in the TM. Problem is storage so I put a shell on my truck and use that for storage. It works great plus I get 16mpg towing! With fuel prices the way they are full timing in a TM doesn't look too bad.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
Carl Ragland

Heading to Columbus Ohio today to look at TM's. Hoping to retire in 7 years or so and plan on boondocking in one. Of course, I'm a hard core camper and intend to just travel around and see this great country, figure on a pick up for tv w/ a camper shell for when you want to head out to real remote places for a short while. Can't wait to get one of these, am gonna get rid of my '87 Volks pop up. Anyone interested?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Carl

We know a (30-40ish) couple who are on a one-year sabbatical touring the US now in a VW popup. They belong to an organization called something like "Freeloaders" however and spend many (or most) nights with people they have just met - the deal being they open their home to other members when they finish their trip. She is a writer and photographer and they have a great web site where they post their adventures. Send me a PM with you email address if you are interested in reading it and I'll send it to you.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Bill & Lisa

cmc211,
Are you up in Virginia now? If you are staying at Little Creek CG, what are your impressions? (maybe the answer belongs under the campground review section)

Bill