TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
johngzwart

Default 2002 Oldsmobile Bravado as TV

Hi,
Tomorrow I will be picking up my first travel trailer a 2002 TM 3023.
I have an 2002 Oldsmobile Bravado (with air suspension). If anybody has experiance towing with the Bravado I would appreciate their feedback on how good or bad the Bravado is as a towing vehicle, and if any towing equipment was needed.

In May we are planning to make a Trip from Galveston, Texas to Denver, I am concerned about the Mountain passes and if the Bravado towing the TM 3023 will have sufficient power to make it to the top!

This is our first travel trailer, and our first trip is to Baycliff, Texas, overlooking Galveston Bay (about 5 miles from the house) we are playing it safe!

Any guidance you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Brgds
John Zwart
Old 02-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
In May we are planning to make a Trip from Galveston, Texas to Denver, I am concerned about the Mountain passes and if the Bravado towing the TM 3023 will have sufficient power to make it to the top!
John -

Perhaps I am missing something, but there are no mountain passes (or mountains) between Galveston and Denver. Just a long slow steady climb from sea level to about 5500 feet. A pretty benign trip, though I can't speak particularly to the Bravada's ability to handle a 3023.

Of course, if you choose to go BEYOND Denver, a few miles to the west - or if you decide to take the backdoor route up through New Mexico and Utah, and then hit Denver from the west - then all bets are off.

I think that our member Genesc has a Bravada. You might look for his posts in this same Towing Rigs section.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
BobRederick

John

I think the Bravada is the same as my '02 Envoy including the air bags. It has the 4.3 inline 6. I am real happy with it to this point. If you have the 8 cyl it is an even better TV, but I don't think the 8 was available in '02. As Bill says, you will have some problems in the high mountains, but it will do fine getting you to Denver. I25 is great and straight. With the tow package, the 3.78 rear end, I can pull my 3326 up a 7% grade at 4000 to 6000 feet in Arizona, gaining speed to pass a truck in 2nd gear turning about 3900 RPM and doing 50 mph.

My biggest concern is the wheelbase could be a bit longer. It is really spooky getting oversteer if you brake in a turn. Now that I know what that is/means, it hasn't been a problem. Be ready to put your hand on the manual brake controller at any time. Always know where it is without taking your eyes off the road. Someday, you will need it and it can be a lifesaver. For the oversteer, just be sure to reduce speed before going into the sharp turns. Braking in there exacerbates the problem.

The airbag suspension is a real mystery setup. You about have to try it to get it right as it relevels whenever you hose up the WDH setting. You can measure the nose and tail before and after hitching. Your nose should dip ever so little more than the tail. 1/4" or less difference between the rear and front is significant. My dealer made 1 1/2" difference (nose low) and it ruined 2-17" Michelans to the tune of $500. I use the 3rd link which requires very little torque on the equalizer bars. It's really easy to set up. The dealer had me in the 4th link and that was way too much torque.

I would definitely give it a try and you may be totally satisfied. If not, upgrade someday. No rush. Have fun.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
johngzwart

Bob,
Yes, Your envoy is the same. Do I need a transmission cooler fitted for
my trip to Denver?

Thanks
Brgds
John
Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
BobRederick

John

I asked and must ask again... do you have the factory towing package? I suspect you do as almost all of of these do. Also, what is your rear end ratio? You can log onto the Olds web site (I use GMC) and find the rating that corresponds to your rear end ratio and 4WD/2WD setup.

There is a TMer nicknamed "Campergene" who is pulling a 3326 with the same TV you have.

If you have the factory package, you allegedly don't need any further modifications. I don't have any. The stated rating is all inclusive, covering cooling, handling, suspension, braking, etc., etc. That being said, I am dying to have a tranny temp guage, but I am not supposed to need that,either.

I might add that the view of the TM in the rear view mirror is a gorgeous sight to behold!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default The normal "Texas Route" to Colorado does have semi-steep grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
John -

Perhaps I am missing something, but there are no mountain passes (or mountains) between Galveston and Denver. Just a long slow steady climb from sea level to about 5500 feet. A pretty benign trip, though I can't speak particularly to the Bravada's ability to handle a 3023.
My observation is that a majority of Texans who visit Colorado don't approach Denver via the easy route (from the east on I70 as you are likely thinking). Rather they angle northwest across Texas (through Amarillo) and then on to Raton NM where they join Interstate 25 and then go straight north into Colorado. And the trip up I25 definitely has one significant mountain pass (Raton Pass on the NM/Colo state line) as well as Monument "Hill" between Colorado Springs and Denver.

Raton's summit is a tad over 7800 feet in elevation and both sides include about 4 miles of 5% and 6% grades. A moderately powered vehicle (like a Bravado) pulling a heavy 3023 will likely be down to around 35 mph on the climb on either side.

The other significant summit is Monument Hill...about 7300 feet in elevation...between Colorado Springs and Denver. Although a (mostly) very gentle (~1% to 2%) grade on the Colorado Springs side, this summit has about 4 miles of 4% to 5% grades on the Denver side.

And there are several short (roughly 1 mile) but moderately steep (over 4%) climbs elsewhere along this route. For instance, just north of Castle Rock (going both directions) there are 5% grades. And there's a roughly 5% climb (going south) just north of Colorado City (between Walsenberg and Trinidad).

Although there are no really long and steep grades (or really high elevation summits) on I25 between Raton and Denver, there is enough semi-mountainous terrain to likely get the full attention of a Galvestonian. Do-able with the Bravado but it will definitely be working hard on the climbs...and using the transmission to control descent speed (not just the brakes) on the downgrades will be essential. IIRC, there are a couple of semi sharp curves on the north side of Raton and the northbound descent just north of Colorado City seems to really bother people from the flatlands.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote