TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2003, 01:12 PM   #11

Default Re: Towing and Fulltiming

Denny,

My truck doesn't have the horsepower yours does. It has 143 horse power but the manufacturer ratesit at 3500 with the 5 speed transmission, with an automatic it would only pull 1700. Does that lessened horsepower make a difference?

Jenna
Old 01-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #12
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Denny,

My truck doesn't have the horsepower yours does. It has 143 horse power but the manufacturer ratesit at 3500 with the 5 speed transmission, with an automatic it would only pull 1700. Does that lessened horsepower make a difference?

Jenna
Jenna,

Big difference! The real issue is Torque.  That's what counts when dealing with hills and the ability to maintain speed.

Example: My 210 HP engine develops about  230 lb-ft of torque at 4300 RPM. On "steep" hills, say climbing into the Smokey Mountains, loaded at or near my GCWR of 8160 lbs, my Honda can be down to as low 3rd ( even 2nd) gear (5 speed automatic) at 4300 RPM, putzing along at  approx +- 35 mph.

Then by extension, from your 143 HP, one could assume your Max Torque would be achieved at around 160 lb-ft at some particuklar RPM (check the manual). If you never went anywhere which has steep, or even moderately steep hills, you MIGHT get by. So if you always trailer in FL, 143 HP may (you wouldn't be happy) be sufficient. But, if you want greater flexibility, a more robust vehicle is necessary!

HTH >>>> Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:02 PM   #13
Chris_Bauer

Jenna,

Everyone has their own criteria when making the decision of which model to buy.  We have had our 2720SL for two years now and for two people and a dog it is great for us.  It is like home away from home.  We have done several things to make it more homey and we recently spent two weeks at the beach (Christmas) with the TM and never felt crowded or in each others way.   We even had guests for one night, fixed Christmas dinner and they slept on the sofa bed and we all got along just great.   We tow with a Nissan Pathfinder and a WDH.  Tows great.

chris
Old 01-08-2003, 12:17 AM   #14

Jenna, I own a 2720SL and I tow it with 2001 Nissan Quest V6.  I am also rated at 3500lbs.  In addition I do use a Weight Distribution Hitch, and I had a transmission cooler added to my van.  I find that I have no problem traveling 65-70 mph.  Keep in mind, that I too live in Florida, so the terrain is relatively flat.

I travel with my wife, and 16 month old.  We don't carry everything in the world when we camp. We try to keep it somewhat simple and find it easier that way.

Also, I never dry camp, so I don't have anything in my holding tanks.  The closest I ever come to dry camping is staying at a state park in FL.  They don't have sewage hookups at the sites, but they do have dump stations to use when you leave.

If you do find you are in the market for a Trailmanor, mine is for sale.  It is a 1998 2720SL.  And it does have A/C and heat.  I am located in Lake City, which is about 40 miles north of Gainesville.
If you would like more info e-mail at [email protected]

Old 01-08-2003, 01:20 PM   #15

Hi, Jenna,

I notice most of the replies to your message are focusing on towing weight, etc. I'm more concerned on your behalf about space--storage space and water/holding tank space.

You said you want to try full timing it in a TM, right? Have you ever stayed in a trailer or motorhome for an extended time before? It can be a BIG adjustment. One thing I've notice about the TM is the lack of storage space. Before I got my 2720SL, I had a motorhome with lots of interior cabinets and "basement" storage so I'm probably biased. I just wonder how you'll store everything you and the cats will need in your Nissan and TM if you are full timing it. Where will their scratching posts and climbing trees fit?

The water tank, grey water tank and toilet also have a somewhat limited capacity in the TM. Do the parks you are looking at have full hook ups? It is surprising how quickly those tanks fill up. I've developed lots of ways to conserve water and extend the time before "dumping." I don't think though I'd want to do it on a full time basis.

Can you rent a trailer or RV before you invest in buying one? It could be money very well spent. I rented a tent  trailer for a trip with the family one summer...sure taught me I didn't want one. So, then I went looking on the Internet and found the TM. The TM is a good comprise vehicle for me now. Stores in the garage;  has enough room for me and the two dogs. BUT, I would not ever consider living in it full time!

Just my 2cents.

Collette and the two Manchester Terriers

Old 01-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #16

Thank you to all! I solved my towing problem this evenng. I traded for a 2002 ( Brand new and got a $6000 rebate) Izuzu Axiom. It has a 230 HP V6 with 230 LBs of torque at 3000 rpms. It is rated at 4500 lbs and is luxurious on the inside. Now for the towable. I'm still looking a the Trailmanor as being on the top of my list. I'm going to the RV supershow in Tampa this month to scope things out. Even if I decide not to fulltime, I really like the Axiom

Thanks ....Jenna
Old 11-17-2003, 05:54 PM   #17
BBNN

Default Re:Towing and Fulltiming

Wanted: a used 2619 or 2720 near Alabama (Birmingham).