TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2003, 08:47 AM   #1

Default Towing and Fulltiming

I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier King Cab with a 5 speed manual Transmission and a Topper on the Bed. I have never owned an RV but, since I am a teacher I cannot afford to own one that I can travel with my pets, four cats and still maintain a residence. I live in Florida so the weather should not be a problem. I have my summers off so I am free to travel from June 1 to August 1. I am willing to trade the smaller space of living full time in a Trailmanor for the freedom to travel. We have several very nice RV Parks here and have talked to the owners about prices so I know I can do this financially. My concern is how close should I get to my max tow weight of 3500 pounds in relation to the dry weight of the trailer. I know I could not live in anything smaller than the 2720SL. I only need one bed. I'd like to get a 3124 King Slidout(3000) the 2720SL weighs 2680. I am sold on the Trailmanor after reading the review's. I can't finance a big dully right now so I have to go with what I can afford. Also, if anyone knows good places to look for financing for someone with less than perfect credit I'd also appreciate any information.

Jenna  
Old 01-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #2

Default Re: Towing and Fulltiming

If you do top out around 4000 pounds, !!check!! the tires.
When I had the 2720, the 2 load range c tires are only rated for a maximum weight of 3740 pounds. Don't forget about the tires!!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:55 AM   #3
Bruce

Seems like we hit on this topic, the dry weight vs. the loaded weight, every couple of weeks. Maybe someone who is computer literate can put together a FAQ page?
   Anway Jenna, to answer your question you do need to look for something with more towing capacity than your present vehicle. However you do not need a dually or even a V8 engine or an SUV. A strong 6 cylinder will do just fine if you get the towing package.
Our 3124 weighs in at around 4800# and we have towed all over the US and Canada with an Astro van.
As far as I know the factory tires are rated at more than the max towing weight of the TM which is on the aluminum tag on the left front side. Remember that the maximum towing capacity of the tires would be the sum of the capacity of each tire.

Bruce
Old 01-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #4

Our 3124SL weighed in at 4,200 pounds, axle weight when loaded for travel.  With about 500 pounds tounge weight, that would be about #4,700 total.  Also, as for tires; we now have load range D, 15" instead of load range C.  The only problem is that at 65 pounds of air pressure, they ride rougher.  :-[  So far we have put 130 nights on our TrailManor in just over 3 years.  ;D ;D
Old 01-07-2003, 12:04 PM   #5

Jenna,
We just purchased at 3124KS (front slide) in September and have towed it from Florida to Alabama (home), to Smokey Mountains and mountains of North Georgia, and just returned from Ft. Myers, FL this past Sunday.

I have a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (4 door model) with 3.3L V6 with Automatic Transmission.  I towed it at 60/65 MPH and this truck performed beautifully.  I lost only 2 MPG as others have attested on this forum.

I have not weighed my unit yet but I'm very pleased with the Trailmanor and the Nissan.

We just downsized from a 36' motorhome.  We previously had a 32ft. Jayco with slideout and a 28ft Holiday Rambler prior to that.  I pulled the trailers with a Suburban.

It has taken some adjusting to go from the motorhome to the Trailmanor, but we have adapted quite well and are enjoying the ease of towing, the much better gas mileage and the ability to backup!  (can't do that with a motorhome towing another vehicle).

I agree with others, that you need a little more horsepower and especially an automatic transmission.  You'll find that the automatic allows for higher towing weights for all the trucks (GM, FORD, NISSAN and others).

Buckets
Old 01-07-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
tipper

These are all good posts.

Since Jenna made several references to money ...

Everyone here in this forum believes TMs provide high value.  But most people here willingly paid a substantial premium for TM's conveniences of towability, garagability over alternatives.

TM diehards like me might try to argue down ownership costs by savings in gas and in vehicle costs, but if one considers that only 700 units per year are produced, it becomes apparent that such considerations are not mainstream beliefs.

If money is tight and a purchase financially tough, TM may not be your best ticket.  Perhaps you could snag a decent used unit to help this cost issue.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Jenna,

My 2002 2720SL, fitted with AC, awning, wall cabinet, spare tire w/cover (no swing away hitch or elec tongue jack) weighs 3005 lbs when empty (with full propane bottles).

If you can keep the cargo weight to around 400-450 lbs, the  vehicle you have should work fine. Additionally, while keeping the combined vehicles within the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), other needed items may be carried in the "tow veicle" (tv). So if the  tv + camper is limited to a combined weight of 8200 lbs (for instance), then if the TrailManor is 3500 lbs, the tv must not exceed 4700 lbs.

Also, if weight is an issue, draining all water tanks before towing makes a big difference. Gray, black and fresh.

My tv is also limited to 3500 lb, and I have no problem keeping my 2720SL at or below 3500 lbs. There are no kids - just me and my gal and a dog named... ummm... O'Riley (as in Life O'). We regularly go on 2500-3000 mile round trips.

Check your tv manual to determine the GCWR. Then, once you know the trailer weight, you can drive vehicle and trailer onto a truck scale and determine the GCWR is w/in limit.

If using a weight distribution hitch, and it's properly setup, here's a simple way to check if your at or below 3500 lbs.

Weigh the trailer with the trailer wheels ONLY on a scale (truck stops have 'em). The WD hitch unloads about 320-330 lbs of a trailer's weight, for a which weighs around 3500 lbs. So, if the trailer weighs in at  3170 or less - it shoul be o.k. Above is an approximation, but certainly if the actual weight is MORE than 3500 lbs, it won't be by much, and will be of no consequence.

Reason: The tongue weight is around 480- 500 lbs . The hitch carries about 320-330 lbs of that, and transfers the remaining load (equailizing) to the trailer axle.

Total Weight of trailer = 3170 lbs(scale) + 330 lbs (on tv) = 3500 lbs.

HTH >>> Denny_A

Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:54 PM   #8

Denny and Teddy

Thanks for your reply. What kind of a vehicle do you tow with? I'm Just interested to know. Also, how do you like the 27SL? If it comfortable? I know it's not like living in a house or anything like that but I'd be interested to know how your quality of life is. As I said, it's just me and the four cats?

Peace be with you!

Thanks to all and keep the infor comming!

Old 01-07-2003, 12:54 PM   #9
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
If you do top out around 4000 pounds, !!check!! the tires.
When I had the 2720, the 2 load range c tires are only rated for a maximum weight of 3740 pounds. Don't forget about the tires!!
Brian,

If the vehicle is at 4000 lbs, the tongue weight will be about 580 -590 lbs. 66% of that weigth will be on the tow vehicle. Therefore the load on the tires is: Tire Load = (4000 - .666*590)lbs = 4000 lbs - 390 lbs = 3610 lbs.

Two tires are rated at  3740 lbs. Tires - o.k.!

Now, the axle is a different issue. That's been covered, ad-nausem, in another thread.

Denny_A
Old 01-07-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Denny and Teddy

Thanks for your reply. What kind of a vehicle do you tow with? I'm Just interested to know. Also, how do you like the 27SL? If it comfortable? I know it's not like living in a house or anything like that but I'd be interested to know how your quality of life is. As I said, it's just me and the four cats?

Peace be with you!

Thanks to all and keep the infor comming!

Jenna,

My vehicle is a Honda Ody, 2001, w/ 210 HP V-6.

I would suggest looking into a 3023 model. Same dry weight as a 2720SL, and same floor space when setup. Advantage ---> the built in CAT BED!!! ;D

I wish I had done so myself. So it goes. Anyway, the Ody is limited to 8160 lbs GCWR. I have, on ocassion, removed a Captain's chair from the car AND the blue chair from the camper (used a 13 # lawn chair inside) to save weight.

THe key - ALWAYS be aware of total weight and trailer weight, and have plans in mind to compensate. Then you'll traier with confidence.

HTH also >>>> Denny_A