TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
PPerez101

Default Towing with a Mercedes GLE350

Would about towing a 27/20 with a Mercedes GLE350, 6600 towing capacity, they also have model with 7400 towing capacity, which I think is 4-wheel drive.

THANKS
PPerez101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A manufacturer's rated of capacity of 6600 should be more than plenty for any TM. This is a recent addition to the MB line, so the towing capacity is "real". Until a few years ago, they were mostly marketing numbers, but now they are evaluated against a spec called SAE Standard J2807, which lends some credibility to the tow ratings.

With a wheelbase of 115 inches, you will probably need a weight distributing hitch (WDH), but you shouldn't need sway control. (These are body things, not horsepower things.) If you scroll to the top of the forum and look in the Trailmanor Technical Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else), you will find good articles on both. Check them out!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

If you can, check individual axle ratings too. I have a Tahoe which is capable of towing even more. However, we overpacked and with 3 adults and two kids and all our gear I was over the maximum for the Tahoe rear axle, and at the maximum for the 2720 axle (1500 lbs).
So as Bill said, you're fine for towing, but be mindful of how you pack especially if you have more than 2 adults. There are some very good threads on towing weights you should look up. A good place to start is the following:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=42

More specifically Bill's thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9655

Bill already referred to these, I'm just so used to "handholding" because I teach highschool kids who have to Youtube how to tie shoelaces...

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
If you can, check individual axle ratings too. I have a Tahoe which is capable of towing even more. However, we overpacked and with 3 adults and two kids and all our gear I was over the maximum for the Tahoe rear axle, and at the maximum for the 2720 axle (1500 lbs).
So as Bill said, you're fine for towing, but be mindful of how you pack especially if you have more than 2 adults. There are some very good threads on towing weights you should look up. A good place to start is the following:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...splay.php?f=42

More specifically Bill's thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=9655

Bill already referred to these, I'm just so used to "handholding" because I teach highschool kids who have to Youtube how to tie shoelaces...
I'm pretty sure that the TM's axle is rated at 3500 lbs. not 1500.

Paul
Old 01-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

That has considerably more capacity than my '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.6 V6 and is the same engine family. I have no problem with a 2720 even without a WDH so you should be fine.

BTW the wheelbase is only part of the story. To me the ratio of the distance from the centerline of the rear axle to the hitch ball divided into the WB being 3:1 or better is the key.

ps if looking for a 2720SL, check my advert.

pps looking at the specs, the GLE sounds near identical to my GC which would make sense since the same chassis. For towing you would want the 4Matic.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhellings View Post
I'm pretty sure that the TM's axle is rated at 3500 lbs. not 1500.

Paul
You're right. I was recalling the maximum weight stamped on each OEM rim. Each torsion axle has a maximum limit of 1750 lbs for a total of 3500 lbs.

When I went to a weigh station in Kamloops BC, our trailer axle came to 3498 lbs (maximum = 3500 lbs), rear truck axle came to 4158 lbs (maximum = 3960 lbs, so we were overloaded on that axle); front axle come to 2860 lbs.
The towing limit of the Tahoe is 8800 lbs. The dry weight of the 2720 is about 2900 lbs, far below the towing limit for the Tahoe. However, when loaded or trailer weighed about 5000 lbs.

#1) The Trailmanor is very heavy at the tongue. When the TM is loaded, a weight distributing hitch will likely be necessary to keep the weight off the rear axle. This is why you want to find out the maximum weight the rear axle can take on your Mercedes.

#2) Be mindful of how you pack. The 2900 lbs of the TM doesn't include the battery, propane tanks, water in the holding tanks, etc. Notice how our 2900 lbs turned into 5000 lbs! Now, admittedly, that includes the people and our gear in the truck as well.

I only go through this to show you how you can be under the towing limit, but still be overloaded. You're fine to get the trailer. Find out you axle maximums of your Mercedes to find out if you need a weight distributing hitch. Then learn how to pack!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 01-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
You're right. I was recalling the maximum weight stamped on each OEM rim. Each torsion axle has a maximum limit of 1750 lbs for a total of 3500 lbs.
Your rims are rated at only 1500 pounds each? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that is not the rating on the OEM rims.

Quote:
#1) The Trailmanor is very heavy at the tongue. When the TM is loaded, a weight distributing hitch will likely be necessary to keep the weight off the rear axle. This is why you want to find out the maximum weight the rear axle can take on your Mercedes.
In addition to the rear axle rating (typically found on a sticker on the edge of the driver's door), you want to know the hitch weight rating. I don't know the numbers for the Mercedes, but it is typically 500 pounds for a weight bearing hitch, and a higher number for a weight distributing hitch. Since a TM typically puts 14% of its total weight on the hitch, you hit the hitch limit pretty quickly.

Quote:
#2) Be mindful of how you pack. The 2900 lbs of the TM dry weight doesn't include the battery, propane tanks, water in the holding tanks, etc.
Nor does it include the air conditioner or awning, both heavy, as well as all the stuff you put in the TM (food, clothes, tools, bedding, your rock collection, etc).

Quote:
Notice how our 2900 lbs turned into 5000 lbs! Now, admittedly, that includes the people and our gear in the truck as well.
And it is proper that it does include them. Although the truck manufacturers don't like to remind you, the weight of the people and gear in the truck subtracts directly from the tow rating, pound for pound. So 6600 pounds doesn't go as far as you think it is going to.

Quote:
I only go through this to show you how you can be under the towing limit, but still be overloaded. You're fine to get the trailer. Find out you axle maximums of your Mercedes to find out if you need a weight distributing hitch. Then learn how to pack!
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Your rims are rated at only 1500 pounds each? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that is not the rating on the OEM rims....

Bill
The rims may have been stamped 1750 each. It's been awhile since I looked at them, and I don't feel like going outside to snap a picture just now. Keep in mind these are the smaller 14" rims used in the 2001 and before on the 2720 trailer. At some point in the mid 2000's TM upgraded the rims to 15", and the maximum weight on those rims may be more.

I noticed that the OP (Pete) was originally thinking of towing with a Honda Pilot back in August. Are you still looking for a tow vehicle, or did you change your mind?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Old 01-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

My '06 came with 14s but I changed to LRD 15s and the wheels are rated at 2150lbs ea same as the tires

ps these are 15x6 wheels, 15x5s are rated lower.

BTW looking at the specs it certainly sounds like a Grand Cherokee (designed when Daimler-Chrysler were together ?). Several people here have GCs and have yet to have a complaint.