TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default Tacoma Towing

Hi All,

I have been towing my TM with my 2013 Tacoma 4x4 for about 2000 miles now and wanted to give the forum some feedback.

The Tacoma V6 has ample power for towing on interstates easily managing the 65 mph which is my self imposed limit. On hilly highways, particularly West Virginia and western Pennsylvania (so far) I have to down shift early to maintain speed. My truck is a 6 speed manual and it's not unusual to have to drop down to 4th on a steep grade.

For low speed maneuvering, like backing the TM into a campsite, I always go to low range 4x4. It makes it so much easier to s l o w l y back in to my spot.

Late model Tacomas are known for sagging under hitch ( or cargo ) weight. I considered a weight distributing hitch but opted for airbags because:
1. I tow a variety of trailers, all with different tongue weights and characteristics. To adapt a WDH to each would be unreasonably complex.
2. I use my truck like a truck when it isn't towing. 1,000 lbs. in the bed sets it down unacceptably far. It's nice to be able to level the truck in any situation.
3. The WDH that the previous owner had made it very difficult to open and close the couch pull out and to access the propane bottles.

The air bags cost about $350 and I installed them myself. It took about 6 hours to do the job. The TM tows very straight and solid with 40 lbs. of air in each side.

Brakes. I'm using a Prodigy 3 brake controller. It was a very easy install on my Tacoma as there is a connection for it built into the Tacoma harness. It is easily adjustable and it WORKS. Stopping the rig is predictable and solid. It feels like stopping the truck without anything behind it. Even so, I leave plenty of room in front of me. Yesterday, I towed through New York City in traffic, on my way to Sag Harbor Long Island. I got to test my brakes quite a bit. They were up to the task.

As noted in a separate post, the Bargman connection DOES supply 12v to the TM but it is inadequate to keep the batteries charged while using the fridge on 12v. I will upgrade the wiring when I return home in a month or so.

All in all, the Tacoma is an adequate vehicle to tow my 2720 SL. An automatic transmission would probably be a better choice, as long as it had an adequate cooler. Without the 4x4 / low range option, a manual trans Tacoma would eat through a clutch in short order when parking and during tight maneuvers. More power would be nice in the mountains, but the V6 DOES get the job done without overheating and I'm getting about 15 mpg in most conditions.

Paul
Old 07-19-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
momto4girls

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am very interested in airbags for our new truck. I'm not sold on the idea of a wdh. We will weigh on our next trip. We just sold our 2015 Tacoma after leasing a new 2017 Tacoma. We haven't towed with the 3rd gen Tacoma yet--only had it a week.

We debated on going back to a Tundra--we owned one previous to the 2015 Tacoma--but my husband really prefers driving the Tacoma.

I'm really curious to see what the difference in towing will be with this new 3.5 L engine. It's definitely getting better gas mileage, and it's quieter (better insulation).

We have this Tekonsha and have been pleased with it so far.

We are a Toyota family for sure--at least since I graduated from the Honda Odyssey to the Prius. And our 3 driving daughters are sharing a 2013 Camry and a 2009 Matrix (Corolla hatchback).
Old 07-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Your '17 Tacoma might be a different story. The soft rear springs are a know issue in the 2nd generation Tacomas. I assumed that mine, being a 4x4 would be more robust. The airbags have worked nicely for me so far.

Paul
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

I don't use a WDH and had AirLifts installed. These are next to the coil springs (not in them) and I also had an onboard air compressor installed. From the cab of my truck I can inflate/deflate the AirLifts. I only have about 20 pounds of pressure in them to bring the rear up and then everything is level. I know some folks would argue that I haven't shifted the weight from the rear axle and they may be right, but I haven't had any issues towing. Sometime, I probably need to go to a weigh station and get some info on the weight on the axles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
bheisser

I have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4 it seems to tell my 2720sl 5 foot Bed full and camper pretty full I have airbags installed no weight distribution hitch I have airbags on it if I had an extra for Grand to blow I would have the dealer install the optional supercharger just for the heck of it
2017 Silverado 1500
Anderson 3324 WDH
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
benjburton

I have a 2005 2 wheel drive Tacoma with the 4.0L V6 and 6 spd manual transmission. Living in South Florida, it tows perfectly fine. It will get up to any speed I want, and maintains it with little difficulty. However, acceleration is poor, and I am concerned about the eventual trip to the mountains. I have owned the trailer for less than 6 months, and have averaged 12 - 15 mpg.

I added 500 lb helper springs to the back, so the truck now sits fairly level front to back, but still squats a bit. If I'd do it again, I'd add the 1000 lb springs. I was just concerned with a harsher ride all the other times when I don't tow. With the springs I added, I cannot tell much of a difference in ride quality when not loaded.

The manual transmission works great, except for when backing into tight spots, and I'm on the clutch, I do smell it burning. It's a slight concern, but as I've learned the weight and what the truck can do, I'm able to apply a lot less throttle while riding the clutch.

If it weren't for the fact my Tacoma is an access cab, I'd be happy with it long term. Unfortunately, it's very uncomfortable for 3 people, so I'll likely upgrade the TV at some point in the next year. I've debated a 4 door Tacoma or Colorado, but will likely go with a 1/2 ton truck just so I can get a bigger engine that will tow more comfortably. I do prefer the size of the mid size truck though. I'm sure I'll change my mind several times over the next year before I make any decision.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ben -

Most (but by no means all) owners feel that helper springs, air bags, and the like on the tow vehicle are a big mistake. They don't fix the handling problems, and they risk damaging your truck. You might start by reading this article by our towing expert. Then consider a weight distributing hitch instead of springs or bags.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2659

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well guess I am a contrarian but have found that with coil springs, a set of Airlifts that go inside the spring just change the position of the body on the rear axle (with a lesser effect on the front) without materially changing the forces on either the spring perch or the tower.

Some vehicles I've had came with air air shocks or load levelling shocks from the factory. My current Jeep had optional levelling shocks in some configuration but not mine & have never needed. Factory towing package does have the Class III/IV receiver solidly mounted into and in line with the "frame" so does have some of the effect of a WDH.

So every TV is different and has different characteristics but people with Jeeps do not seem to have many problems.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ben -

Most (but by no means all) owners feel that helper springs, air bags, and the like, are a big mistake. They don't fix the handling problems, and they risk damaging your truck. You might start by reading this article by our towing expert. Then consider a weight distributing hitch instead of springs or bags.

Bill
Bill, I'm not sure how air bags risk "damaging your truck" but I understand the idea that airbags do nothing to shift the weight from the rear axle. I can't speak for others, but in my case the air bags are a great solution as I tow a variety of trailers, boats, utility, flat beds etc. ALL have different characteristics and it's nice to be able to adjust height according to the load on the truck, whether it's my TM, boat or a load of construction material.

I haven't had any handling issues on my current trip ( 5,000 miles and counting) The air bags allow me to have my Tacoma level for safe night travel ( lights don't blind oncoming drivers) and, while it may not shift weight to the front axle, it does give the suspension its proper geometry and *ALLOWS* weight to shift more easily to the front while braking.

I don't dispute the value of a WDH, but I do feel that it is not the only, or even the BEST answer in every situation.

I plan to submit more on my experiences on my current trip, once it's completed in a few weeks. I'll probably have logged 7,000 miles b the time I return home. I'm anxious to contribute to our TM community.

Paul
Old 08-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
benjburton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ben -

Most (but by no means all) owners feel that helper springs, air bags, and the like, are a big mistake. They don't fix the handling problems, and they risk damaging your truck. You might start by reading this article by our towing expert. Then consider a weight distributing hitch instead of springs or bags.

Bill
I appreciate the reference to the past post; it was an interesting read. I can't disagree that a WDH is a better and safer option. However, given that the truck's maximum tongue weight is rated at 500 lbs, and my 2720 tongue weight is supposedly around 400 lbs (haven't weighed it), I was thinking I'd be okay when selecting this option. Adding the 500 lb helper springs raised my loaded rear end 5/8 of an inch higher than without the extra springs. So the addition had a very minor impact on the total squat.