TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Kizzys

Default Any further gain to 15" tires after all of these improvements?

Hello TMOs: after we purchased our 2006 2720SL this past March, the frame was dragging on most drainage swales and dips. The frame was also hitting the tires in places and ruined our tires AND our wheel well arches. Our wheels were definitely NOT centered in the wells. Thanks to all of your suggestions we added a WDH and lifted the TM. We also had the axle aligned. Now the tires have room, are more centered, we aren't scraping bottom, the trailer tows level and the measurement at the front wheel well of the TV only rises 1/4" when hitched. We feel we are on the right track thanks to all of you. The final question is ... in order to keep down expenses, is there any real gain in going to 15" tires if we buy a couple of the 14" KUMHO D rated trailer tires? Then we can keep our current rims and our spare?? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Current (ruined) tires are 215/75/14 ... I believe the Kumho is 205/80/14.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Not sure about the max weight capability of the 205 vs 215??? I'm sure you looked at it?

15's might give you more weight capability, about 1/2 inch more lift, spin slower. I also think it will improve resale since most buyers are going to search the web, and read the post of many trailermanors switching to 15's because of issues.

I think the move by most owners to 15 was a few years ago while Goodyear had issues with there ST for 2 to 3 years. I think Good Year is past those issues, since there does not seem to be the failure post like there was a few year ago??

I'm running 14" GY with a lift kit installed. I will switch to 15 when the tries age out. I might keep the spare at 14"
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Talking about the Kumho 857 205x14 LRD ? 2271 lbs at 65 psi & 27" tall. I do not see any mention of a nylon cap/overlay.

BTW when you see a metric size without a profile (75, 70, 65) that is the original European measurement and are usualy taller than American sizes (about an 82 profile)
Does have a "Q" (99 mph) speed rating.

Sounds like a good tire if a little pricy. Note that the 205 does not appear to be made in Korea.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Kizzys

Tentcamper: The max weight on the Kumho is 2271 @ 65 psi. True, the resale might be important and also good point on the spare, I guess it doesn't really have to be a new 15". Thank you for those ideas.
Padgett: The KUMHO is D rated (not sure if that's what the LRD means) ...
is anyone aware of any other 14" 'D' rated trailer tires? I have not seen any except for the Kumho. All help is appreciated very much.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

We probably should have a FAQ, the current tire load ratings are relatively new but is been around for a while.

Before LRs there were "ply ratings" (PR) and had nothing to do with the actual number of plies but related to the sidewall and tread "strength" of a tire.

The "load" of a tire relates to its section volume and the inflation pressure: the larger the volume and the higher the pressure, the greater the load it can carry without deforming.

Tires also have a speed rating. ST (special trailer) tires are rated at a maximum of 65 mph. If you can increase the pressure needed for the anticipated load by 5 psi you can usually go a bit faster. 65 with a loaded rig is fine for me.

Some tires have a different rating, the Kumho 857 is a "Q" tire meaning it is rated for 99 mph. Typical passenger car tires are S or T though for track day you might want a W, or Z depending on your maximum speed expectations. In the US, cars in recent years have been limited to the speed rating of the OEM tires. For my Reattae it is 125 mph.

Back at load ratings: in the beginning ('60s) tires were mostly rated as "2 ply rating" and were limited to 32 psi. As time went by standard tire inflations increased to 36 psi. Those early tires would probably be Load Range A if such existed.

Today many tires are unmarked. If so they are consided "standard load" and may be inflated to 36 psi. Some are marked Extra Load (XL) and may be inflated to 41 psi.

The might be called LRB but aren't.

So now we get into the Load Ranges which replaced Ply Ratings but mean the same and are really pressure ratings.

LRC - 6PR - 50psi
LRD - 8PR - 65 psi
LRE -10PR - 80 psi

More psi=more pounds.

BTW while the extra strength of an "E" is nice, you really do not want to subject anything to 80 psi, particularly withough shocks.