TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
mobie0309

Default Brake Controller Recommendations?

Will be buying a new tow vehicle soon and plan to get a new brake controller for my TM while I am at it! Looking for recommendations/good or bad experiences with whatever others have. I currently have a Journey HD. I think I understand correctly is that proportional controllers are better than time-delay, although typically more expensive.

(it has been awhile since I used the Owner's pages so hopefully I put this in the right place - apologies if I goofed!)

Mark Obergfell
2006 2720SL
Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think tekonsha has about the best brake controler out there, unless you can get a controler as built-in controller option from you TV manufacture.

There are three current models that are note worthy: Primus IQ, Prodigy P2 and the P3. All are fine units. The price are in the same order. They all have the same braking logic, the IQ uses the newest technology. The differences between the units as price go's up; is the features and how many axles of braking, if you can do electric to air, etc?

Four years ago when I was looking to get a unit, which my last unit was from 1989. I decided on the IQ after much research. It supports up to 2 axles and was the lower price of the units. It has performed well with out issues. But it has the fewest bells. Very nice braking at all speeds on curves and up and down hills.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three units.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mark -

As you probably knew, the Valley Journey is a time-delay controller, not an inertial. If it were me, I would replace it with one of the Tekonsha Prodigy units - no need to go for the fanciest. All are inertial, easy to install, and easy to use. Perfect for someone who is new to the issue.

I will let this thread stay here for a couple days and then move it into the Towing Rigs forum. You will not be able to see it there unless you become a Sponsor.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
mobie0309

Thanks Art & Joyce - I will check those out. We are considering a new Highlander with the 5000 lb tow capacity so assume you pull well with your 2012? I was considering a truck with more power when in the mountains but want something that is very comfortable when we don't have the TM plus it will be my everyday vehicle. Our Honda Pilot has served us well albeit a little underpowered when going up steeper grades.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #5
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

+1
installed a prodigy couple season back , has served us well and easy to use, we do a lot of mountain towing, so easy to do on the fly adjustments,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

With most things I start with something inexpensive to fond out what I really want but with something like this the price differece of about $50 frrom Cheap to Quality is trivial in comparison to the value of the TV and TM.

I have a P2 and it does eveything I want it to.

BTW if considering a new TV then make the factory towing package a "must". Besides the receiver it usually includes things like heavy duty cooling, a bigger alternator, load levelling shocks, & wiring for the receiver (best will include a bargman connector).
Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

mobie0309, I just got the highlander, so no personal experience. For years we towed the pupups and this last year the TM with a 2001 sienna mini van with the 3,0L. It was well modified. It did well, and I considered it as one of the best TV's for handling I ever had. It was a little under powered in the mountains with the 200+ HP.

The highlander: I started looking at new mini vans and the DW did not like the seats in anything on the market. We then looks at SUV's and she like the Highlander and Explorer seats. It ended up she like the seat in the Highlander 2010 to 2013 better then the new 2014-2015. So that is why I now have a 2012 highlander. Picked up a limited well below book with 35K miles on it. It does have the the 5K tow prep package and is 270+ HP. But it is a shorter wheel base than the sienna.

Overall from 2720 Highlander owners and pupup owners. I have heard nothen but good things about the Highlander as a TV. It will be nice having additional 70 HP in the mountains.

If your are still thinking about TV's at the end of April? Send me a PM and I will let you know how it did on our 3K trip around the second week of April.

If you do get a highlander. I would get the highlander hitch kit and install it myself. Much better fit, higher ground clearance, and 14 bolts vs 6 of the aftermarket hitchs. I would get the after market wiring only because it is about 25% the cost.

Oddly enough both the OEM and aftermarket hitches have the same capacity, the max rating of the Highlander. They both use the same 6 bolts with the OEM having 8 additional bolts for side plates frame mounts. It looks like the OEM is over engineered, which I like. The OEm has about 3 inches more ground clearance.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just as an <ob> I would also suggest trying the Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you prefer cloth seats than the Laredo and if you like leather then the Limited. There are a number of powertrain choices from the 290hp gas V-6 which I have, a couple of V-8s, and a 3 liter turbo diesel. Current models can handle 6,400 lbs with the towing package.

Mine is the best tow car I have ever had and is also suitable for formal needs. 17-18mpg of 87 PON towing my 2720SL at 65mph in the flatlands of Florida.

ps whatever brake controller you buy will also need at least a $15 cable. If you have a factory towing package there should be a connector under the dash.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Eailer post i said i had a primus iq. I bought it in 2011. It worked great, until just before our current trip. The manual brake lever was not applying enough braking force. Trying to figure it out the issue was a pia. I determined it was the brake controler. In looking at getting another iq for 78, I looked at the p3 it has great tools. Brake light voltage, input voltage, output voltage output amps. I decided for $115 I would get a p3. It would have saved me about 4-5 hours troubleshooting last brake controler.

Braking i can not tell the diffrence between the IQ and P3. I do like the iq mount better.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #10
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller

I've appreciated the Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller. It comes in 3 parts
1. A display that you can mount up in visual range. Mine is on my steering wheel column.
2. A controller that mounts where you can control it easily. Mine is on my lower dash.
3. The inertia sensor that mounts down on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47297...ake+controller

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote