TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Default Frontal Area

Something you rarely see mentioned with relation to trailers is the frontal area. At low speeds it really does not matter but drag becomes important over 45-50 mph.

Recently I noticed that my Jeep's owner's manual mentions that my combination is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight, 5,000 pounds towing, and 40 sq. ft. of frontal area. (TM is marginal but is mostly in the heep's airstream & front is rounded so not quite a barn door). Raising the coach a few inches would increase the drag proportionately.

Just another advantage to the TM but something to be considered when selecting a tow vehicle. Does look like the heep's rear flows well onto the TM front & wonder what difference adding a camper shell to a pickup would have in reducing overall drag.

Does anyone have a cdA figure for the TM ? I could not find one.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Something you rarely see mentioned with relation to trailers is the frontal area. At low speeds it really does not matter but drag becomes important over 45-50 mph.

Recently I noticed that my Jeep's owner's manual mentions that my combination is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight, 5,000 pounds towing, and 40 sq. ft. of frontal area. (TM is marginal but is mostly in the heep's airstream & front is rounded so not quite a barn door). Raising the coach a few inches would increase the drag proportionately.

Just another advantage to the TM but something to be considered when selecting a tow vehicle. Does look like the heep's rear flows well onto the TM front & wonder what difference adding a camper shell to a pickup would have in reducing overall drag.

Does anyone have a cdA figure for the TM ? I could not find one.
When I get a chance I'll put mine in my wind tunnel! Just kidding, I do know that my tow vehicle likes the TM better than a utility trailer I own concerning gas mileage, the utility trailer is tall and like dragging a parachute around.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

My first camper back in the 80 was a very small popup. The box was less the 8 feet. The tongue weight was maybe 80 lbs.

It ducked in behind the full size van and I could not see it with the side mirrors. My mpg actually increased by 1/2 mpg when I pulled it. The only thing I figured that it filled the rear vacuum drag. So I think there something to the idea of having a shell on the back of a PU.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Mine was too, we not only camped with it, was also a tire and tools carrier for my autocross car in '78. Believe it is a Bethany Travelling Teepee. Nice thing was the access door usable when folded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunbirdwithtrailersm.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	10378  
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

With my TM it sits about level with the top of the van, but the AC unit is way up there. I bet that low profile AC unit you have Skip, gives you 0.25 a mile or better MPG then having a full size one.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I make the AC as 1) low drag shape and 2) only about 5% of the surface area. Do not know how thick is the boundary layer back there.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

When we changed out the low profile A/C unit for a standard size I expected an increase in fuel use. If its there I can't detect it. But then we carry a canoe on the truck shell so that may mask things.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote