TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Williams6548

Default Replacement Tires

We just got back from the factory; if you get a chance, tour the factory - it's really neat. We just bought a 2007 3023 in January. The dealer replaced the plumbing side tire with an AKURET HF188 (15") load range E tire after a blow out when returning from auction. The door side tire is likely the original Goodyear Marathon (2006 date on tire) load range D. Internet research has mixed emotions on all trailer tires. I want to replace the Goodyear and I'm thinking of going with an E load range to match the AKURET and wondering if anyone has any input on going to E and AKURET. I saw lots of references to tires discussions on the forum but for the life of me I can't find a whole discussion (I'm attributing this to operator error). Thanks!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

just a thought and opinion,
maybe use the single as your new spare, and buy a matching pair of what you decide you want.
I myself, have the maxxis load e range and are going into third season on them and are more than happy with the service I have gotten so far,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Williams6548

That's a good idea. I've read quite a few reviews on the Maxxis but appreciate hearing from TM users.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Go to the section of the forum titled "Tire, tires, tires," and you will get a lot of information about tires.

I don't know anything about Akuret tires, but I didn't really know much about my Carlisle's when I bought them. My local Discount Tire dealer highly recommended them, and I went with his recommendation.

The tire that failed on your new TM almost certainly failed because of age. I'm thankful that you got home on the 2006 Marathon on the other side, but I wouldn't pull that trailer another foot until you get new tires! Everyone views the subject of tire age a little differently, but in my experience, if you use the DOT manufacturer's date as the start point, you have three years with that tire in a fully capable "green" condition, another year or possibly two in an amber or "yellow" condition, and after that the tire is "red," which means a ticking time bomb. None of the above consider issues of tire mileage, properly maintained pressure, road hazards, etc., etc. Just tire age.

Good luck with your tire shopping! I think you'll find lots of thought and suggestions in the "Tires, tires, tires" section.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
davlin
TrailManor Master

I also meant to include this link. I'm not plugging Carlisle tires (although I am pretty happy with mine), but this just seems to be darn good information on trailer tires.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I also went with the Maxxis E and have not had any problems (yet) but Ill ditch them after a few years too regardless of how many miles they have
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Don't know much about AKURET tires. But a quick google search, it sounds like they are inexpensive Chine tires and people talk about problems. But you normally only hear about a tire when people have an issue.

We take long road trips and don't want issues in BFE. If you lose a ST tire, it's normally can be hard to find replacements of the brand we use. If you can not find your brand you end up with some other brand. It's not worth being on the side of the road changing tires on a hot summer day.

I like Goodyear Marathon. I hear a lot of good things about Maxxis. I would have Maxxis, but it does not seem any of the tires shops stock them, so if I had a failure on a trip, i'm stuck with some other brand to replace it.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote