TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Interesting thread for me as the wife and I are about to go pick up our first Trailmanor, a 2013 2720SL, next week. And plan to tow it with an 07 Tacoma V6 with factory tow package.

I want to pass on something I learned recently on an easy way to monitor transmision temps if you have have an Android phone. There is an app called Tourque you can get for free (lite version) or $5 for the full version from the Google store. The you get one of the available blue tooth devices that plug into your OBD diagnostic port that work with the TOURQUE application on your phone. I will go find the links later, but they have some for $5 dollars or so (seem to be some complaints with the quality on those) some for around $25 (most seem to be happy with these) and one really deluxe model that sells for $75 - $100.

The TORQUE app can monitor and display oodles of engine parameters along with all the standard OBD trouble codes. It does not have transmission temps as a standard display, but you can create your own custom data items to be monitored and displayed if you can find out the specific details for your vehicles. I have the $25 OBD device and I have the IDs and equations to enter for trans temp on the Tacomas I found on the Tacoma World forums. Will add a link to that later as well.

The OBD devices and TOURQE work with any OBD vehicle and I believe there are other applications that work on Ipads or laptops as long as the OBD blue tooth device is compatible with it.

Edit: Here is a good thread with specific info for the OBD Bluetooth devices and Tacoma

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...d2-reader.html
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I've been using Torque for some time in the heep but since I can display oil pressure, oil temp, and trans temp on the EVIC, I have focussed on other things.

an early display.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Only have one short 80 mile trip under the belt now pulling our 3023 with the Tacoma but I think it is going to be fine with the equalizer hitch. Definitely feel the load back there though on hills because I am so accustomed to the old pop-up that was less than half the size and weight.

No problems with braking but I am not eager to get into heavy traffic just yet. Time will tell as I get more familiar with pulling and backing where I can't see over the top.

On paper it's fine with 6500 max tow, 650 tounge wt., 128" wheelbase. But I am definitely going to monitor the tranny temps next outing just for reference.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Padgett

I was using my autoxray 6000 for years to watch the trans temp when towing, but got the bluetooth Torque app. Much nicer not to bring the scan gauge. Also very handy if you get a check engine light on the highway.

Two years ago, a squire decided to stores nuts under my intake manifold and chewed on the wires for my knock sensor. About every 200 miles on along trip the knock sensor keep getting set and downgrade the efficiency. It was very handy to be able to pull over and reset it with the Torque app. Very cheap and handy tool.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
DEarle
Site Sponsor

Padgett and Tentcamper, thanks for the comment about the Torque app. I had been using Dash, but Torque appears to have much more. I just downloaded it.

DEarle
All LED lighting
15" LR D Wheels & Tires w/TPMS
DEarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #16
Wally & Company

I just picked up a 2417 Sport last month and am towing it with a 2002 Tacoma PreRunner 3.4L V6. I put on a set of Firestone RideRite airsprings and they seem to do a really good job eliminating rear end sag. I agree with oldstick that you definitely can feel the TM back there, but I was able to maintain 65mph up some fairly long grades on I-10 from CA to PHX. I typically get 19MPG when not towing, and was pleasantly surprised to average nearly 17MPG on that 175 mile trip. The real test will be when I take this setup up North thru Payson next month.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wally -

Welcome aboard. I think you might want to start by reading through this forum (and others) about the advisability of using air shocks. Start with post #5 here, in the TM Tech Library, posted by RockyMtnRay, our towing guru. (He now runs the towing section of the Tundra forum.)

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2659

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Had the first outing with the 3023/Tacoma combination over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised too. I was monitoring the transmission temps with the Torque app. Outside temps around 90 and the tranny temps stayed pretty even around 170ish on the highway, which is only 10 or so above what it usually is without towing on a summer day. Did rise to 180 something briefly with stop and go through towns however.

By the way, most everything went very well. I need to troubleshoot the water heater on AC (works great on gas) and I seem to have the "fridge not staying lit" problem on gas. The only rookie mistakes, I forgot and left the fridge fan and the bathroom fans running before heading home. Had to temporarily unhook the battery till I get time to open her back up.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #19
marmotsgrl

Yes!! Ours does really well. It is a 2007 Tacoma V6. The towing package is a really nice one too. It is rated up to 6,500 lbs. (would never tow something that heavy) It did really well towing up the mountain in Colorado through Eisenhower tunnel at about 11,000 ft
marmotsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotsgrl View Post
Yes!! Ours does really well. It is a 2007 Tacoma V6. The towing package is a really nice one too. It is rated up to 6,500 lbs. (would never tow something that heavy) It did really well towing up the mountain in Colorado through Eisenhower tunnel at about 11,000 ft
Colorado is definitely on bucket list. Had a good opportunity to transfer there many years ago, but our first baby was nearly due and we just couldn't convince ourselves to risk it.