TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
amcbride828

Default Toyota Tacoma and TM 2922

Would you tow a 2922 with a 4WD Tacoma? Want to stay small with the tow vehicle if I can.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

If you have a 4 cylinder, then no. If you have a v6" then yes.

Use this link for definitive Tacoma info for towing.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
amcbride828

It will be a V6, test driving it in a few minutes.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcbride828 View Post
It will be a V6, test driving it in a few minutes.
You'll need a tow package to include a transmission cooler, class III hitch, 7 way plug connector, and in my case with the Tundra, a high output alternator. You may want to invest in a weight distribution hitch system as well. The tongue weight of the TM is more than most tow behind travel trailers. With my Tundra, I can tow it well w/o but if I add payload to the cargo bed, then I use the WDH. Best advice is to take your TM and new to you Tacoma to a truck scale and get it weighed hitched, unhitched to get true road weight rather than dry weight.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

amc:

Don't know if you saw this thread about the 2922 maybe being a bit "squirrel-ey" as compared to other TM models. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...highlight=2922

The link that Rvguy gives is excellent:

"The things required to set your truck up properly to tow safely.

4. A properly rated weight distribution hitch set-up (boat guys disregard this.)
5. A Dual Cam sway control set up (boat guys disregard this as well.)
6. Extra towing mirrors"

Don't leave home without them!

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I'll chime in and say you want a tow vehicle rated at least 5000 lbs and a dedicated tow package is a must. If you aren't doing a lot a mountain towing, then that will probably be enough. I have pulled a pop up with "just enough" specs. Having more power than that has been really, really nice. Can't say enough good about the Andersen No Sway hitch...absolutely stopped all sway and distributes weight too.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Dstrand100

Default Towing with a Tacoma

I have been towing with a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4 X 4 SR5 V6 for two years with two different TMs, a 2720SL and now with a 3124KS. The Taco came with the factory V6 Tow Package: Class IV Towing Receiver Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers, 130 Amp Alternator, Heavy Duty Battery, 7-pin connector w/Converter, and Trailer Sway Control. This gives the my Taco a tow rating of 6400 pounds. I did add a brake controller; as the Taco was wired for it, the installation was easy. I initially added McKesh mirrors so I could see a wider rear view but replaced them with after-market remote controlled mirrors which replaced the OEM mirrors on the Taco. I use a WD/sway control hitch. The TM is easily towed with the Taco. I average about 13-14 mpg when towing, and I don't use OD if I am in hilly country because the Taco wants to downshift out of OD a lot. I have mirrors to sell if you are interested.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstrand100 View Post
I have been towing with a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab 4 X 4 SR5 V6 for two years with two different TMs, a 2720SL and now with a 3124KS. The Taco came with the factory V6 Tow Package: Class IV Towing Receiver Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers, 130 Amp Alternator, Heavy Duty Battery, 7-pin connector w/Converter, and Trailer Sway Control. This gives the my Taco a tow rating of 6400 pounds. I did add a brake controller; as the Taco was wired for it, the installation was easy. I initially added McKesh mirrors so I could see a wider rear view but replaced them with after-market remote controlled mirrors which replaced the OEM mirrors on the Taco. I use a WD/sway control hitch. The TM is easily towed with the Taco. I average about 13-14 mpg when towing, and I don't use OD if I am in hilly country because the Taco wants to downshift out of OD a lot. I have mirrors to sell if you are interested.
Dstrand, may I ask what type/brand of WD setup are you using? I've been lurking for a while and just joined because we are looking to move up from a Coleman tent/pop-up and we have decided the Trailmanor is the best bet for our requirements. One of those being ability to safely tow with the existing 2007 Tacoma (V6 PreRunner with factory tow package).

So I was trying to estimate whether it could handle the 2720 OK or look for a smaller TM. Do you get a lot of rear sag with either the 27 or the 31? I've heard weak rear leaf springs are a problem for some Tacoma owners and mine does not have the upgraded springs. Does your WD setup pretty much take care of this well enough.

Mine has the TRD Sport package shocks and suspension and I've never really noticed any sag problems, but then again the most it has ever been loaded down is the maybe 200 lb tounge wt of the pop-up plus a bed full of assorted camping gear.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Oldstick,

Welcome to the forum. If you want a faster response to your questions for Dstrand100, you might want to email him. He posted that thread three months ago and it might be a while before he looks in. He has an email address posted in his profile. Just a FYI.

A 600 LB to 800 LB rated WDH should be sufficient for your needs. I use an 800LB Reese with my F150, but it came with my TM. Previuos owner towed with an '09 V8 Explorer, but it works great on my truck.

Happy Campin

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
gjmaker95

Default Tacoma towing

I'm towing a 2006 3023 TM with a 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 2 wheel drive with the v6 factory towing package installed and a Takonsha brake controller. I didn't like how much the back of the Tacoma settled so I decided after some research to go with the Anderson weight distribution hitch. The Anderson has an1100 pound tongue weight rating and 11,000 pounds total tow rating along with the integrated sway control. It's the last weight distribution hitch I'll buy. With four mountain bikes and a 40 pound bike platform style rack on the back of the TM, I felt the sway control was necessary. It tows like a dream.
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote