TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Default Shopping for new TV.

I have started my search for a new truck to use as my TV. I have been reading a lot of good things about the Ford F150 Eco-boost package. It appears that it not only gets decent MPG, but has the power to pull a mountain grade with ease.

I recently watched a couple of U-tube videos that pitted the Eco-boost against Chevy and Dodge trucks with V-8's, towing equal weight trailers up a substantial grade and the F150 beat them both handily.

I will be heading out this weekend to test drive the F150 and will also be checking out the Tundra as well. Those of you that own either of these, I would appreciate your insight and experience, both pros and cons.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Beak12

Need something to pull that grade on Mission. LOL
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Our experience with Fords is they pull well but eat tires. Have a neighbor that will only buy used Fords and seems to do ok with them.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Tim,
I went through a similar process a year ago. Our 2003 Envoy had been great, but was really struggling up mountain grades. I decided that a pick up would be a good choice for a tow vehicle as it would "future proof" towing capacity if we changed to a bigger trailer. At that time we had a 2010 Coleman Bayside. I had drooled at Trailmanors at RV shows, but was contemplating a hard side trailer or maybe even a small 5th wheel as future options. Long story short, went to the RV show last year, the good folks at The Car Show asked me if I would like to see the new 2922 and something snapped and I bought one on the spot. Realizing that we mostly dry camp in rather smallish campsites, the TM really was the best fit for what we love to do. So, I then went into the market place thinking I would buy a GM product as I had such a good experience with the Envoy. My first reaction was--other than GPS, the cab was almost identical to my 10 year old Envoy. I had read some rather flaming put downs of the Ecoboost Ford, but decided I should at least test drive one as well as a Ram pickup. The ram was more "modern" than the GMC, but the V8 didn't seem all that powerful. I first looked at diesel F-250's and realized that was for folks towing heavy stuff all the time. I almost reluctantly test drove an F-150 Ecoboost. Well, to me that truck was head and shoulders above the others I looked at. I did not test the Toyota, so can't really compare there, but I love the Ford. I can't believe the power this thing has. I went max tow and off road, so my mileage would be at the bottom of ways you could configure an F-150. Even so, I get 14 mpg towing in the mountains-- 12mpg going up, 16 coming down. I get 18-19 mpg with no trailer on flat highways, 15-16 in town. My first pick up, my first Ford and I really am happy with the decision, even though it is not what went into the marketplace expecting to buy. As for the new GM offerings, I would wait a year or two for them to work out the new model bugs. Next year's Ram with a small diesel will give the Ecoboost real competition as far as torgue and horsepower is concerned, will have a little better mileage, but still has diesel extra cost and maintenance. I think a pick up is a good choice, any of the major brands will easily pull a TM. There are several Ford videos from two or three years ago showing the "torture" tests they put a stock Ecoboost engine through. Made me realize they had done their homework designing this engine. Allows us to pull the TM like it's not there and will allow up to 12,000 lbs towing for any future trailers we might have.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tim -

Mark and Claudia do a lot of high-altitude towing. My wife and I do some, and from southern California, you probably will as well. As you probably know, both gas and diesel engines lose power as altitude increases, simply because the air is thinner and so there is less of it available in each engine revolution to burn the fuel. The engineering value for power loss is between 3% and 4% per thousand feet of altitude, so when you get up to 10,000 feet in the High Sierras or the Rockies, for example, the engine has lost 1/3 of its available power. I know that the 4.6L V-8 in my Explorer begins to gasp at high altitude, and of course this is complicated by the fact that at high altitude, grades tend to be steeper and curves tighter. The need for power goes up just as the available power is going down. Bummer!

I have not driven an Eco-Boost. But to me, one of the big advantages of the Eco-Boost should be that twin turbo. At high altitude, it will cram extra air into the engine, making it think it is operating at sea level, and eliminating the power drop that comes from altitude. If you're not towing, you probably don't care, which is why you see so little written on this topic. But if you have trailer behind, and the trailer weighs about as much as the tow vehicle, it should make a lot of difference.

Just my thoughts - again, I have not driven one. But my next vehicle probably will be an Eco-Boost unless someone else comes up with a scheme that does something similar.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
wahoonc

I like my Ford trucks, we tend to drive them until we can't drive them anymore. I have driven several over the 300,000 mile mark with nothing other than routine maintenance. I have a 1996 F350 PSD that has well over 500,000 miles on it... and that was 3 years ago when the odometer stopped working, truck is still going strong. We use mainly for farm use now. My wife's F150 with the 4.6l V-8 has 218,000 on it and is our main tow vehicle. My only recommendation is to make sure to get the factory heavy duty tow package.

Aaron
Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

As Bill says, the Ecoboost doesn't feel any different at home (4700 ft) or when it's approaching Eisenhower tunnel right at tree line--I think above 11,000 ft. Way different (and better) than a regularly aspirated engine. Ford implies higher mileage for these trucks than is realistic (I suspect true of others as well), but to me it's not Prius type mileage from a truck, but rather normal mileage when keeping your foot out of it and almost diesel like power when you need it.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Y'all have sold me! But, I still hope the Expedition hangs in there a while longer.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
brulaz

I'll just add that my EcoBoost has been a great tow truck. Very quiet, lots of low-end torque, with an excellent 6 speed tranny with Tow/Haul. I also like the ~10k mile (16K km) service interval.

You do want to be careful and get one with a decent payload. Some of the "Fancy" trucks, esp. with 4x4 and SuperCrew cabs, don't have a lot because of all the heavy options. Tow capacity is less important as you will always run out of payload first (or rear GAWR) with these trucks.

You will want the built-in brake controller (fantastic!), and I would recommend the big, "Dumbo" tow mirrors which may come automatically with the Max Tow option in the U.S.A. (not in Canada though).

The MaxTow option increases your payload and tow capacity some. I have that and with a 4x2 SuperCab (not Crew) my payload is over 2000#.

And then there is the HD Payload option which stiffens the suspension (shocks and springs), adds LT tires and heavy duty 7 lug wheels and axle. This increases the payload and rear GAWR substantially. Makes the truck sort of half-way between an F150 and F250.

Unfortunately the HD Payload option almost always has to be special ordered and is not available in all configurations. If I had known about it, I'd have ordered it because we ended up spending a lot of money stiffening the suspension and switching to LT tires on my own. The regular F150's suspension is pretty soft, more for commuting than towing IMHO.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate the insight and advice. There is nothing like first hand knowledge from owners. I feel more confident in my decision as to which TV I wil be seriously dealing for.

Ford also helped me to decide this evening. I just watched a new Ford commercial, advertising that all 2013 f150 are now offered for 0% financing for 60 months. Wow, now I will almost feel guilty for writing a check out of an account that's earning a whoppin .85%, just to bring down the payment. LOL

I'm heading out tomorrow to look at one that I put an internet bid on this afternoon.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote