TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Default Andersen No Sway Hitch Report

Just got back from camping in the Flat Tops Wilderness area and got to use the new Anderson hitch for the first time. If you have been following other posts about sway and need for a WDH you have seen my previous thoughts on this.
First impression: really solid feel when towing. I tried a few back and forth slight steering moves--no reaction at all. Before, there was noticeable trailer movement. Very happy that it did seem more stable.
Second impression: driving up I-70 approaching Eisenhower tunnel at highway speeds (65mph) a driver in the left lane started drifting towards me and then suddenly cut to my lane (he was only slightly forward of my tow vehicle--my front bumper was at about his A pillar). Emergency brake and maneuver to the right shoulder and bar ditch. I don't know how I got out of his way--he never seemed to notice what he had caused Absolute control of the trailer, it did not fishtail at all. After I got my heart rate to normal I could not believe we did not roll--either the truck or the trailer. I have been driving since 1961 and that was the most extreme avoidance maneuver I have ever had to make. I am convinced this tale would have had a most unhappy ending without a WDH installed.
I know that the need for a weight distributing hitch is a bit of a hot button topic on this forum. Many report no need for it. All I can say, is that for my particular situation, it not only improves normal towing (the trailer is just "there", no wiggly movement or bouncing) it very likely prevented a tragedy.
Not sure if it relates to my 2922 length or loading issues as I have not towed other Trailmanors, but I cannot recommend the Andersen No Sway Hitch highly enough. I really think anyone towing a 2922 should very seriously consider a WDH.
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
clan_salmons

Wow. What a way to test a new hitch. So glad to hear the Andersen worked as advertised. I hope I never encounter a situation like that, but good to know that i've got the tools to handle it.

Make that 2 endorsements for the Andersen No Sway Hitch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Maga04

clan_salmons, we are looking to add the Andersen Hitch to our 2008 2720 with a 2004 Toyota Sienna TV. I am not in possession of my TM as of yet and need to order the Andersen. I need to know the height of the frame on the swing-away hitch.

Could you also tell me exactly which model Andersen Hitch you purchased?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
clan_salmons

Welcome aboard.

I purchased the Anderson model 3324. The riser that comes with this model seems to work with most vehicles. From what I have read Anderson has great customer service if you need to swap for a longer one. I do not have the swing away hitch so you make need to add some links to the chains. I had to add one link to get the brackets to clear my propane tanks.

Spend the $12 join this forum. It'll be the second best decission you make. (after buying a TM of course)

Stan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
clan_salmons is offline   Reply With Quote