TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
rovering

Smile 2417 Questions

Now that I think we've decided on the 2417, I have a few questions:
How big is the outside storage and is it one or two sections?
Is there storage under the dining seats?
Is there much storage under the sink?
Any bathroom storage?
Does the shower curtain wrap all the way around on the inside?
How wide is the countertop next to the sink?
How deep are the overhead cabinets?

Thanks so much for your help. The nearest TM dealer with a 2417 is 7 hours away, so I've only been able to look at the TMs online.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
sloliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovering View Post
Now that I think we've decided on the 2417, I have a few questions:
How big is the outside storage and is it one or two sections?
Is there storage under the dining seats?
Is there much storage under the sink?
Any bathroom storage?
Does the shower curtain wrap all the way around on the inside?
How wide is the countertop next to the sink?
How deep are the overhead cabinets?

Thanks so much for your help. The nearest TM dealer with a 2417 is 7 hours away, so I've only been able to look at the TMs online.
I haven't seen a 2417 yet, but looking at the web site I notice the following. Full disclosure: I own a 2004 model 2619:

There is a very shallow storage area under the rear bed, approximately 10 12" deep that goes full width of the trailer.
My 2619 has the water tank and furnace under the dinette seats, using about 1/2 of the seating area, leaving the other 1/2 for storage.
Just enough storage for a few kitchen items; small trash can, small bucket, other small items. Notice the accent on small .
No bathroom storage - there is no bathroom on the 2417. To quote the literature: "The 2417 also has a cassette toilet option."
No shower curtain - see above. FWIW, my 2619 does have a wrap around shower curtain.
The counter is approximately 2 feet wide, just large enough for the removable stove to sit on.
The removable overhead cabinets in my 2619 are about 12" deep. They need to be small (and light) as they are removed for towing. If available on the 2417 I would expect them to be the same setup.
The 2417 is laid out similar to the 2720 with 3 feet cut out of the length. That 3 feet is where the built-in stove and bath would be. If you need both, I'd look at the 2720 or 2619.
By the way, I love my 2619; it tows beautifully behind my V6 VW Touareg, even in the mountains out here in the desert. The 2720SL is my favorite though.

Hope this helps.

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/sp...tdeckspec.html
sloliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default 2417 owner

I have a 2417. LOVE IT!

I have mine under wraps at the moment (not going out for a few weeks, and the neighbor's crab apple tree is dropping crab apples on it. They rot, and it looks bad), so I can't measure the storage. But, there are two locking doors, accessible only when set up. Each bay is about 3' deep, and 3.5' wide. My left cabinet has part of my 40-gallon water tank in it. The spare tire is in the right cabinet. Still, plenty of room for 3 camp chairs; charcoal grill; gas, water, and electric lines; two tables; grilling equipment; axe, etc.

One seat has storage under ¾ of the length. The other side has (part of) the water tank, water heater, and wires. I have a couple items I won't normally need in there, as it is not designed to be storage.

Yes, storage under the sink. Two levels. Drain trap is in the top area, but not an issue for us. The lower level goes all the way to the wall, and both are as wide as the sink counter. There is a flat surface somewhat accessible from below the sink, to above the refrigerator. I store my rags there, as anything else could slide around, and either end up in the drawers on the other side of the 'fridge, or behind the 'fridge.

Two shelves in the bathroom, which hold the T.P., chemicals, and shower supplies.

Yes, there is a two-section shower curtain. They wrap entirely around you when inside the shower stall. You have to put it on the rail on the ceiling if you want to use it, as it is not a permanent fixture. It works fine, though. I put it up for our 3 showers in a week, and really is not a hassle.

Yes, the counter is about 2' wide (about 4' long).

The cabinets over the double bed are about 4" deep at the base, and 6" deep as they move up the curve. Just enough room for the shower curtains, and the privacy curtains, on one end. The other could be used for a few towels, etc. Not really much storage in them.

Here are a few pics from inside, before I took down the privacy curtains:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/duaneru...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/duaneru...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/duaneru...n/photostream/

Hope this helps. We love ours. It is normally just the two of us, but we will take a grandkid or two on occasional trips. It tows like a dream, and sets up quickly. Very glad we got it!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
rovering

Default Thank you

Thanks for the info. That really helps alot. Glad you're both happy with them, and we hope to be a happy owner soon! We'd love the 2720 or the 2619, but it's too much weight for our TV.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
CampingFools

Well, we may not be the first folks to have purchased a 2417, but we might win the prize for the most nights in it - 54 since picking ours up in March, including a 24 consecutive day trip to the coasts and mountains of California.

We'd been eyeing the Trail Manor line for years, but we had specific height, weight and storage issues we weren't willing to budge on. The 2619 was a little to heavy for our current TV, and a little to long for our garage (it would have blocked access to our side garage door, and required that we rip out a row of storage cabinets). The 2417 solved both of those issues, and also addressed our weight concerns.

Most of your questions appear to have been addressed, so I'll only add that the rear storage is very, very large, particularly if you have the wall divider in the middle removed as we did. We are able to store all of the following in ours: Large outdoor rug, the awning support arm and crank, small gas BBQ, small electric BBQ, small compressed gas fire ring, water, sewer and electric hoses/cords, four folding chairs, two folding tables, 5 gallon portable waste water container, two folding umbrellas, a broom and a folding laundry drying rack. There's still room for more but we're trying to refrain!

We purchased the optional large overhead cupboard, and it holds all of our dishware and more. Plus the top of the cabinet is available for storing bread or other small items when we are camping. We keep stacking, sliding drawers on the xtra bed for temporary food storage as well. Everything fits on the floor very nicely when we are in transit. Their is no real storage area for clothing, other than on the bed along one side, which is where we keep ours. Since the bed is king sized, it hasn't encroached on our sleeping area at all, but it does mean our suitcases remain in view.

We added the optional shower/bath in ours. Because the bathroom walls have about a four inch gap between them and the ceiling, we purchased five large hanging plastic hooks to use in and around the bathroom walls. We use two hooks to hang large shelves similar to what you buy and hang over your shower nozzles at home, one by the door, one by the kitchen, which holds lots of small things and allows us to keep our trailer neat and tidy. We hang three over the walls inside of the bathroom to hold our toiletry items and towels.

We added the optional external gas line so we could quickly and easily fire up our compressed gas fire ring. We also have the optional awning, swing arm hitch, windows package, extra propane tank, bike receiver, and A/C. We plan to spend upwards of five months each year in our 2417, and added the things we felt could make a difference between loving or loathing being out on the road for weeks at a time.

Since we survived our 24 day trip very nicely, we're planning a 49 day trip next summer through the Pacific Northwest. We're averaging 17 miles per gallon currently while towing behind our Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, another nice plug for the 2417.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

You don't sound like "fools" at all! You have managed your setup well, and have given me a few ideas.

Did you get the overhead cabinet from TrailManor? That was not presented as an option to us, nor is it listed in the TM list of options for the 2417. Seems like a great idea, though, so I will contact our dealer to see if we can get one.

We commented to each other about the lack of "wardrobe" space, and I have decided to make a coat/shirt-length clothes rack out of PVC. That will help us keep a little more organized. We also use the spare bed for our luggage surface. Keeps it out of our way, but convenient.

Had not considered removing the center wall from the storage bay, but that sounds like a great idea! I don't see how it could structurally alter anything, as there is no weight on the top of the bay. Easier to organize with the extra space. Thanks for the idea!

I think the 2417 is great for 2 people, or grandparents with one grandkid along. Easy to tow, and it can go on Forest Service trails where larger units can't go. Great unit!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
CampingFools

We did indeed get the overhead cupboard from TrailManor. It was fairly inexpensive - about $145 I believe, and matches the cupboards and hardware below. It holds a lot, and I highly recommend it. All of our dinnerware is plastic, so we keep everything inside when lifting it into place and removing it down to the floor when breaking down.

The manufacturer OK'd the removal of the middle panel in the rear storage area, and amended our rig accordingly as it was being built.

(The "Fools" is meant to imply we're crazy fools about camping, not fools in general . . . at least I hope! :-)

----------------------------
Post has been split. Screen door discussion was duplicating another thread, so was moved to the Screen Door thread in General Discussion. Bill