TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-417 View Post
With all the talk about towing and being able to stop safely and survive a crash, I was reminded of this video from awhile back. The insurance companies tested a 1959 Bel Air vs a 2009 Malibu. I remembered those old cars of my misspent youth as being tanks and really thought we were making a mistake trading fuel mileage for structural safety. I never expected the results of this head on crash test.

Tom:

Like you I found the video interesting. My first car was the 1959 Bel-Air four door. I also thought it would have fared much better. I guess things have progressed safety wise better than I thought. New styles still suck though.

Bob
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
With all the talk about towing and being able to stop safely and survive a crash, I was reminded of this video from awhile back. The insurance companies tested a 1959 Bel Air vs a 2009 Malibu. I remembered those old cars of my misspent youth as being tanks and really thought we were making a mistake trading fuel mileage for structural safety. I never expected the results of this head on crash test.

Wow!

That impact is almost exactly the same as I experienced in 1963 while driving my 1957 Ford Fairlane 500. The other car was a brand new Chrysler station wagon driven by a kid who had had his driver's license for one week.

In those days, Chevrolet was built on an X frame that was much more flexible than the ladder frame used by Ford. My 57 Ford did not deform anything near what that 59 Chevy did. The kid in that Chrysler (about 5000 lbs!) hit me so hard that it both stopped my car and threw it backwards! Modern trucks are built on ladder frames, just like my old 57 was.

There is no doubt that, pound for pound, modern cars are much, much safer than those old "tanks" from the 50's and 60's. This is due to "crush zones" that redirect the forces around the passenger compartments, good seat belts, and air bags all over the place.

But notice I said, "pound for pound". Don't think a 5 star safety rating on a sub-compact indicates the same level of protection as a 5 star rating on a Suburban. It doesn't.

BTW, I use 60 mph as a maximum speed everywhere I tow my trailer. Much of the time I am traveling at 55-57 mph. I do this for safety, economy, and common sense. Why push it? I want to enjoy travelling, not be all tense.

Ever see one of those toy haulers with 3 axles fly by you at 75 80 mph rocking back and forth? SCARY.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Ever see one of those toy haulers with 3 axles fly by you at 75 80 mph rocking back and forth? SCARY.
I once came across one rolling back and forth, and then it flipped right in front of us! The tail wagged the dog and whipped the TV into a ditch. We stopped to help, and all the occupants had all fallen towards the new bottom of the vehicle and in physical shock; fortunately, no one was seriously injured, but both the TV and trailer were totaled. We were following them with the TM, and were able to stop in time without any problem, albeit with a panic stop.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Shandysplace

Default Hear Hear

We're glad we live in CA as it has gotten us very comfortably into the 55mph habit. We purchased a 3326 in 2008 and traded it in last year for an Elkmont 26. Clearly safety, fuel costs and increased tire life are all the reason you need to slow down and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
JudyGutierrez

Quote:

Wow, I would never have thought those cars we considered "tanks" would do worse in a crash than a newer one...go figure! We have a '63 Grand Prix that I won't consider safer than our 2004 Durango.
We had a crash with our 1980 Coachman where we lost control due, in part, to my husband going to fast for the conditions. That sure slowed us down (and caused us to find our TM!) While we were traveling up through California we saw so many CHP, it would be crazy to go faster than 55.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Signs on CA freeways used to say trucks/autos with trailers max 55 mph.

However, people riving motor homes towing a car or boat did not comprehend that it applied to them.

The signs are being updated.

Anything towing anything has a 55 mph limit.

I usually tow at 58-59.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
Scottie Dogs

This is all EXCELLENT information. 55-60 will be my speed limit for sure now, this is why I check in 4 times a day, always things to learn, no matter how much you think you know you learn things here every day.

I just found out how to make a sewer hose storage out of a PVC fence post yesterday so darn cleaver. I will give that a shot, have more room in the bumper for more little camping things

Thanks, cRay60

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...pvc+fence+post

Dave
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Each state is different on towing speed limits but many are below that for cars not towing. Many trailer tires are rated for 65mph maximum at 65 psi.
When you drop below what TM recommends and the tire manufacture recommends you run the risk of a blow out due to overheating. After 12000 miles last year with the TM and over 20k miles the year before with a pup I can seen no reason to under inflate tires. I get my best gas mileage at 62 mph towing the TM with the Dodge.

Here is a thread that has links to speed limits while towing plus other information.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...05&postcount=4

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
BigBear

Default I will stick to 60 mph as a max.

Thanks for the advice. I did not know Washington and Oregon had reduced speeds for trailers as there were no signs such as there are in California. I guess I will stick to 55mph and if I cheat it will be up to 60 mph. No more travelling 70 mph. Thanks for all of your advice. I will have a safe trip from Redding towards Palms Springs tommorrow at my reduced speed.!!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybeebob View Post
If you have been driving 70 MPH while towing a trailer in Oregon and not have had a ticket then you are very lucky. I believe a section of Interstate might have a 65 or 70 max stretch but that is a single vehicle only. Towing a trailer is 55. Most highways here are 55 with towing a trailer also 55. We have had some horrific wrecks here by people traveling fast with trailers and everything suddenly going sideways so hope you are not one of those that try to go for the most distance in the least amount of time. Eventually it catches up.

Bob
I glad that you posted this...I towed the TM to Oregon a couple of summers ago. I drove 55 on the way up, but my cousin's husband (who has lived there all his life and tows boats, trailers, etc.) told me that there was no special speed restriction on towing a trailer. So I drove a little faster on the way home; guess I'm lucky that I didn't get a ticket!

After having a couple of blowouts, I like to keep the speed around 55 or so.