TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Brifla

I did read where several people were running the LT tires without problems in this thread.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...7&highlight=LT

I guess it's potential solution to the 14" overload issue. However, I don't have any load issues running the standard 15" D rated ST tires on my 3023 so will stick with them. It's great that you guys have pointed out the design differences between ST and LT so people will know!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
PopBeavers

Another option is

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4857&tab=Specs

still only load range D
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Another option is

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4857&tab=Specs

still only load range D
That is an improvement though, load range D is 8PR, and the ones shipped on TM is usually 6PR, load range C.

Load range D will max out the rim capacity anyhow, so going to a LR E will not be of much benefit. The best rims that I can find for 15" 5/4.5 has a rating of 2600# and the LR of an D tire is 2540# and E exceeds this at 2830#. Bottom line is with the current axle and the 5 lug 4.5 pattern, load range D is the max that can "safely" be used IMHO.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Maybe I'm having a senior moment today, can someone can explain this to me . . .

I'm not really understanding why using 2600# rims would be unsafe with load range E tires.

Yes, the load range of the tires is higher than the rims but on a Trailmanor the rims will never or should not see that much load -- as the axles will be overloaded.

Since the rims will never have more than 2600# on them regardless of the tire used -- whats wrong with using them?

Tim
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
Load range D will max out the rim capacity anyhow, so going to a LR E will not be of much benefit.
I disagree; I think LR E offers a substantial benefit, and that's why I bought LR E tires. Like many others, the reason I chose to upgrade to 15" wheels is because I was having repeated tire blowouts, not because I wanted to carry more weight. The tires are the limiting factor, not the rims, and 15" tires offer a higher load capacity vs. 14"'ers. Likewise, LR E tires provide a higher load capacity than LR D, which ideally further decreases your chance of a blowout by increasing your safety margin.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

The #1 cause of blowout is . . . OVERLOADING. If you never overload 14" tires/wheels, and keep them below 60mph you will be fine with LR C 14". That said, if you never expect to exceed 2600 ponds on any one wheel, then going to 10PR tires may give you peace of mind, but as far as I can tell does nothing for added safety of the trailer. If you never overload to 2540# then LR D will be just as roadworthy, and the rim has a safety margin as well, not to mention, the 15" LR D and Ere high speed tires and designed for 65mph (freeway speeds in many areas).

Anyhow, for me, the improvement of 15" 8PR LR D over the 14" 6PR LR C are enough of safety margin boost to give me peace of mind as I don't plan on exceeding the 1820# that the LR C tires are rated at. Each to their own, but I feel anything else is just spending money I don't have to get something I feel I don't need.
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
The #1 cause of blowout is . . . OVERLOADING.
I think many of the folks just on this forum that have had their Marathons blow out will disagree. I believe TMs used to ship with 205/75R14s, which is what I had, and they have a 1,760 pound weight capacity and were LR C.

Like others here have reported, my TM fully loaded weighs 4,000 lbs. Subtract 600 lbs for tongue weight, and that leaves each tire supporting 1,700 lbs. That's very close, but not overloaded.

Or take my former 3-year old well cared for Kumhos, which had a weight rating of 2,146 pounds per tire. Certainly, they were far from being overloaded with a nearly 20% safety margin on each wheel. I had two of those blow out. .

So do I think that overloading contributes to tire failure? Certainly. Are there other factors? Definitely. Are you likely to not have a blow out if you take good care of your tires, don't overload them, and keep them until they are 3 years old? Maybe, but that's not my experience, so I chose to increase the safety margin. I don't proclaim to be immune from future failure in doing so, but I think I have decreased the odds.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #18
happybeebob

Will throw this out and see what you think. My TM now has the Towmaster ST 205/75-R14 Load Range C (1760Lbs) on it. They were made in 2006 and on the trailer when bought last year so are going to be replaced this Spring. Seeing that the dry my weight is a little over 2100 Lbs and adding maybe another 1000 Lbs for added weight was thinking of going to a D or E if they have them. My thought being that with my frame being rigid, (do not know if other TM'S have springs) no flex to speak of and if a higher load range would take up some of the shock or instant overloading when either hitting something in the road or dropping into a hole. Would appreciate your thoughts on this before I commit.

Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
PopBeavers

My specific requirements:

1. Weight as measured on the axle is 3380 pounds

2. Due to garage door clearance, I can not go to any tire that has a diameter greater than the Marathons. I currently have Towmaster which fits within my diameter limit..

Before I buy any tire I must be very careful about the diameter. This is why I am reluctant to witch from 14 to 15 inch wheels. If I go to 15 then I will need tires with a slightly lower profile. That does not sound like a good idea to me.
I will need new tires soon. i will be looking carefully at the diameter of the Khumo, as that appears to be the only way I can upgrade from load range C to D.

I had a blowout with the Marathons once. Temperature 100+, hit a pothole, wife driving at 65. 30 miles after the pothole we had the blowout. We could not feel it. but with the radio off I heard the pop and made an accurate conclusion.

Not to start up the old TV argument, if we were towing with a smaller vehicle then I am pretty sure we would have noticed more.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I think many of the folks just on this forum that have had their Marathons blow out will disagree. I believe TMs used to ship with 205/75R14s, which is what I had, and they have a 1,760 pound weight capacity and were LR C.

Like others here have reported, my TM fully loaded weighs 4,000 lbs. Subtract 600 lbs for tongue weight, and that leaves each tire supporting 1,700 lbs. That's very close, but not overloaded.

Or take my former 3-year old well cared for Kumhos, which had a weight rating of 2,146 pounds per tire. Certainly, they were far from being overloaded with a nearly 20% safety margin on each wheel. I had two of those blow out. .

So do I think that overloading contributes to tire failure? Certainly. Are there other factors? Definitely. Are you likely to not have a blow out if you take good care of your tires, don't overload them, and keep them until they are 3 years old? Maybe, but that's not my experience, so I chose to increase the safety margin. I don't proclaim to be immune from future failure in doing so, but I think I have decreased the odds.

Dave

I am using this as my reference: http://www.tireco.com/GuideLines/5.htm and here is some good reading as well: http://www.thisoldcampsite.com/This_...e_Article.html
2003 Chevy Tahoe