TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

All that being said, there are a few members of this board that tow with a RAV4. You might use the Search tool on "RAV4" to find their discussion.

Although it never seems to work out that way, a towing discussion should always begin with "Where do you plan to tow?" Your RAV4 will have better possibilities if you plan to stick to the flatlands of Indiana or Florida. You will have a much worse experience if you plan to get into the Rockies or Sierras, or to some extent the Blue Ridge Mountains.

If you search out other threads, be careful of overly optimistic statements such as "You can tow anywhere in the US if you stay on an Interstate highway." I strongly disagree with that.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Ditto to what Bill is saying. I tow with a Sienna (3500# tow rating) and I know that I'm right at the spec limit on the scales. However, I tow only in the flat midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana), and the wheelbase length of the Sienna is substantially longer than the wheelbase of the RAV4. I would not feel comfortable with a shorter vehicle, nor one with a lower GCVWR (Sienna has a very large cargo capacity since it's a 3-row minivan), nor if I were traveling anyplace mountainous.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
brulaz

The upright Elkmont handles a lot differently than the folding Trailmanors. It catches the wind cause of its frontal area.

So on the Prairies you can run into conditions worse than in the mountains. We fought prairie head winds for a day and half across Manitoba which taxed our old Tacoma V6 worse than the Northern Rockies did.

Just one more thing to consider.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
PopBeavers

My brother was driving a 1974 Pinto Station Wagon across the desert on his way from California to Yellowstone.

Somewhere along the way he saw a "dust devil" (aka mini tornado). He thought it would be fun to try to hit it.

Big mistake. It nearly ran him into a ditch.

Just as a guess, small low profile trailers behind a reasonably large TV would fair better.

Even better, never aim for one intentionally.

Just a random thought I am passing along. I have seen these little devils, but not as big as the one my brother hit. He said it was about 6 feet tall.

It isn't just trucks and side winds that push you around.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
My brother was driving a 1974 Pinto Station Wagon across the desert on his way from California to Yellowstone.

Somewhere along the way he saw a "dust devil" (aka mini tornado). He thought it would be fun to try to hit it.

Just as a guess, small low profile trailers behind a reasonably large TV would fair better.

Even better, never aim for one intentionally.

Just a random thought I am passing along. I have seen these little devils, but not as big as the one my brother hit. He said it was about 6 feet tall.

It isn't just trucks and side winds that push you around.
About ten years ago I also tried pulling a maneuver like that with a one ton van loaded with electrical looms. Thank goodness for that extra weight but it proved to me it is best you leave things like that to themselves. Scary
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Riwright
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post

I'm glad your brother was OK. Too bad the Pinto wasn't destroyed.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Pitbull

I can't believe Trailmanor lists the Rav4 as a recommended tow vehicle.

http://www.trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Ca...-vehicles.html
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Riwright
TrailManor Master

I recently bought a used 3124KS with a "book weight" of 3000 lbs. My 2000 Lexus RX300 had a towing capacity of 3500 lbs.

I decided I would give it a try on a couple of short test trips. It wasn't pretty. It displayed a behaviour we now know to be called "chucking." When you go over bumps or uneven road the trailer pushes and pulls the tow vehicle. Felt like it was going to rip the transmission out.

Power up the hills was barely adequate. Braking was too slow. Something smelled evil under the hood.

We live in Southern California. There is some very hilly country here.

The trailer was not loaded for camping, in fact we pulled out everything that wasn't nailed down.

We bought a 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 7,100 lb towing capacity. Tows like a dream.
Riwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

just last week was taken the hotel by shop to have some things looked at, insted of going to house to get tv, used the olds bravada, was only going about ten miles each way, and it was mostly empty, do not know the rating on it, really does not matter, i will not be trying that stunt again,about called dw to bring tv to me, but i knew what that would be , lets just say i know what you are talking about chucking, lol another life leason learned.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
I can't believe Trailmanor lists the Rav4 as a recommended tow vehicle.
Once again, there is no such thing as a recommended tow vehicle list, from TM or anyone else.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12349

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote