TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Does anyone need motivation to make some modifications?

We were taking the TM down to The Car Show today to get the lift kit installed, with the ultimate goal of installing 15" wheels and tires. Unfortunately, we had waited just a little too long. We got within eleven miles of our destination when we had a major blowout on the driver's side of the TM. We were right at the north gate of the Air Force Academy, which would not be our first choice, but could have been worse.

I've read before, I think from B & D that most people find out they have a flat because people are honking at them. I always thought "Seriously???" but I'm delighted to say that was the case with us and that tire was a total mess.

We were able to get all the tires off Interstate 25 except the flat one which was terrific luck. I'll skip the nitty gritty and go right to the motivation.

Will at The Car Show said 99% of blowouts like that would have demolished the plumbing. He thinks the mud flap we installed between the wheel and the plumbing probably saved us from a huge expense.

Our TM is a 2006 but our tires were 2005, too old in everyone's opinion. Color us believers.

Also, we were so glad we had done the spare tire modification as that part was a breeze.

Check out these pictures! We feel extremely fortunate!

Malinda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1].JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	5689   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[3].JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	5690   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1] (2).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	5691  
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Wow...your were LUCKY!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
Wow...your were LUCKY!
Yes, we're thinking about buying some lottery tickets

I still can't believe that we had no idea it had happened. Obviously by looking at the rim it didn't go on very long but we were on the interstate . . .

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Wow, I'm working through getting enough info to install the lift kit and upgrade the wheels and tires. This is great motivation to keep me moving along and get it done sooner than later. Headed out your way this summer and we don't want to encounter any problems. Our tires are the originals, but the previous owner only used the TM three times and we've only used it three times, so they look brand, spanking new. But old tires have a way of failing and I don't want this to happen while traveling out west. Thanks for the post. Also, if you do upgrade, let us know what tire you went with and who you purchased from. I'm finding that this seems to be one of my more expensive mods.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Welcome to the club Malinda! This just reinforces my feeling that trailer tires need to be on a 3-year change-out interval, at least with 14" tires. 5 years leaves zero safety margin. With 15"ers, the lifespan on typically laden TMs remains to be seen, but if a changeout every 3 years would guarantee me no blowouts, sign me up.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
Wow, I'm working through getting enough info to install the lift kit and upgrade the wheels and tires. This is great motivation to keep me moving along and get it done sooner than later. Headed out your way this summer and we don't want to encounter any problems. Our tires are the originals, but the previous owner only used the TM three times and we've only used it three times, so they look brand, spanking new. But old tires have a way of failing and I don't want this to happen while traveling out west. Thanks for the post. Also, if you do upgrade, let us know what tire you went with and who you purchased from. I'm finding that this seems to be one of my more expensive mods.
You can't tell by the pictures but ours looked good too We'll have new wheels and tires before we pick up the TM next week. I'll keep you posted about that on the other tire thread.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Welcome to the club Malinda! This just reinforces my feeling that trailer tires need to be on a 3-year change-out interval, at least with 14" tires. 5 years leaves zero safety margin. With 15"ers, the lifespan on typically laden TMs remains to be seen, but if a changeout every 3 years would guarantee me no blowouts, sign me up.

Dave
Thanks Dave Wouldn't it have been nice if it had just held out 11 more miles so they could have called us and explained the flat tire I'm kidding. We are seeing this glass as AT LEAST half full.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I was driving when we had our first blowout. I could feel some vibration in the steering wheel that started suddenly, it didn't feel right so I pulled right over, and in time to get out and watch the tire deflate (even though most of the tread was 1/4 mile back down the road).

You're really lucky that you didn't have any damage to the plumbing, etc.

I'm not sure if we're going to change out our newer tires after 3 years, as they are a lot more heavy-duty than the others, but will probably change them after 4 years. I may just take the spare and put it on the drivers side for a year.

Welcome to the blowout club.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm particularly pleased that the mud flap addition seems to have helped. When I did mine, it was a relatively cheap and easy fix. There was a thread on the topic back in late 2006 ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
moaboy

That tire doesn't look so bad-just a little rubber cement here and there...

Anyway, glad to hear it all worked out and you think the mud flaps helped as I recently added some long, heavy duty mud flaps myself and wondered if it would really make a difference in protecting the drain plumbing.