TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Philip

Default Blowouts

Hello Dave,

I noticed that you had a few blowouts on your TM. I have not had any problems as yet and don't want to in the future. Have you found one brand/model of tire to be better than another? How many miles did you have on the tires when you had the blowouts? What failed on the tires on which you had a blowout - did the tread separate from the tire body - did the side wall fail - was the tire cut through by some road debris? Did you increase the the tire size to 15" wheels or did the TM come from the factory with 15" wheels - I am not at home and forget if 15" wheels are standard or if they are optional/or 17" wheels are optional. Was the TM damaged with any of the blowouts?

I presently have Goodyear Marathon tires on standard wheels. Do you have any opinions about these tires? Is it just a matter of buying new wheels to change the tire size should I want to or do I also have to make changes to the TM suspension/wheel wells?

Lots of questions I know but it sounds as if you have had problems/experience with blowouts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take care,

Phil
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I noticed in your reply that you had a few blowouts on your TM. I have not had any problems as yet and don't want to in the future. Have you found one brand/model of tire to be better than another?
I've had 3 brands of tires -- Goodyear Marathons, Kumho Radial 857s, and now the Carlise. Kumho's were supposed to be the answer because of their increased load rating, but as you know, they still failed. I'm hoping the Carlise's do better because of the even high load rating margin. I've come to the conclusion that I think brand, for the most part, is not the critical factor. Tire wear is mostly irrelevant because you will rarely ever even come close to wearing out a trailer tire. The tread on my Kumhos looked nearly new.

I think the key factors are: 1) Tire age; 2) load; 3) ambient air temperature. If you are towing with an overloaded or heavily loaded old (3+ years) tire in 100 F weather, you are asking for a blowout. The younger the tire, the higher the load capacity margin, and the cooler the ambient temp, the better your chances for a blowout-free trip.

Quote:
How many miles did you have on the tires when you had the blowouts?
Probably 5,000-10,000 miles, tops.

Quote:
What failed on the tires on which you had a blowout - did the tread separate from the tire body - did the side wall fail - was the tire cut through by some road debris?
I don't know what happened on the Goodyear blowout, except that the tread separated, but you can read all about the Kumho failure here:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10265

Quote:
Did you increase the the tire size to 15" wheels or did the TM come from the factory with 15" wheels - I am not at home and forget if 15" wheels are standard or if they are optional/or 17" wheels are optional.
My TM came with 14" wheels. 14" wheels were standard on the 2619 and 2700 series models. The larger models came with 15" wheels. Starting last year or so, all models now come with 15" wheels.

Quote:
Was the TM damaged with any of the blowouts?
Yes, with the Goodyear blowout. It tore apart the wheel well, which had to be replaced, and made a mess of everything in the cabinet above. But I didn't sustain nearly as much damage as some other folks. Others have lost their drain plumbing, which is a costly repair. Due to my heavy duty wheel well replacement on one side and the "wheel well retrofit" on the other, I sustained virtually no damage from the Kumho blowouts.

Quote:
I presently have Goodyear Marathon tires on standard wheels. Do you have any opinions about these tires? Is it just a matter of buying new wheels to change the tire size should I want to or do I also have to make changes to the TM suspension/wheel wells?
If your tires are 14", I personally would get rid of them as soon as you can, regardless of their age or wear. With those enormous batteries, and the fact that you very likely carry full water tanks and a charged toilet because you dry camp, you undoubtedly are running heavy. You are in prime blowout territory. And if you are camping out in the boonies, that means getting back on the road or getting a replacement tire could be a challenging task, particularly on a Sunday afternoon. Several other folks here have weighed their TMs when ready to camp, and come in at 4,000-4,100 lbs, which puts the TM slightly over the weight limit of 14" Goodyear Marathons (assuming a 500-600 lb tongue weight).

If you have 14" wheels and an older TM (maybe pre-2003?), you'll need a lift kit to upgrade to 15" wheels. Other clearances might be tight, but I think most folks find that they work. TM construction can vary a little bit, so you just need to verify clearances before you leave the tire dealer's lot.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
PopBeavers

IF I swap my 14 inch wheels for 15 inch wheels, what tires are available that have the same outside circumference as the 1 inch tires?

If the top of my TM goes up a quarter inch then it will no longer fit in the garage, unless I air down the tires. Once aired down I can not add air to the street side tire until I pull it out of the garage.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wayne -

Along with all your other goodies, I think you need to drop by your Hummer dealer and have him install one of their CTIS systems. Shouldn't cost more than a few thousand...

Several years ago, my obnoxious next-door neighbor worked for a Hummer dealer, and owned a Hummer. I had to chuckle a bit. The CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System) looked good, but never worked. He spent a lot of time airing up those babies with a compressor from Sears.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
BigBear

Default Upgraded my 14 inch to 15 inch tires just in time.

Following recommendations from others to upgrade to 15 inch tires, I had some time over the Christmas holidays so I took my 14 inch marathons with 10,000 km on and 4 years old and put on some new 15 inch marathons. I had not noticed any damage to the 14 inch tires through this process. However, I advertised the old 14 inch tires and rims on Craigslist and went to take a picture of the tires and to my surprise the one tire had a large bulge in it and there was about 2 to 3 inches of separation in one of the treads. If I had seen this before I bought the 15 inch marathons I probably would have tried to get Maxxis or some other tire but I don't think these were available in Canada. Anyway thanks for putting all the info on the forum about these tires and it saved me a blowout the next time I would have headed out with my trailer. I hope they are now making the 15 inch marathon tires better for my sake. I attached a photo of the tire separation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full page fax print.pdf (238.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
wmtire

Hey Big Bear, can I trouble you for the DOT code on these separated marathons? I am curious as to where they were made. Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
BigBear

Default 2006 I think.

I bought the trailer in the fall of 2006 and I think the dot code is 1206 but I also attached a photo.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 14 in marathon tire.pdf (103.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
I bought the trailer in the fall of 2006 and I think the dot code is 1206 but I also attached a photo.
The shadow of your roof sorta blocks that DOT code but when I blew it up, it does look like 1206 (12th week of 2006).

BTW......for what it's worth, that damage to the tire may be "pot-hole" damage.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
wmtire

I am interested in the manufacturer code, which is the first two digits (V0 from what I can tell)

V0 (with the second digit being a zero) corresponds to

South Pacific Tyres
Upper Hut, Wellington
New Zealand

I know that Goodyear actually owns most, if not all, of South Pacific
Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
BigBear

Default Code read from tires

The code is hard to read from the tire photo so I took a look at it and it reads

DOT V08K 2JJ4 1206