TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I can't imagine you are doing anything wrong. Perhaps different CAT scales have different setups. The one we visited recently, in northern New Mexico, had four weighing pads, all of which weighed simultaneously. The pads were short enough that the three axles of our Explorer and TM could have spanned any three of them.

You could make two weighings, of course, and ask nicely if they would charge you for only one. For example, pull forward until the front axle of the tow vehicle on the second pad in line, and the rear axle of the tow vehicle and the TM axle are on the first pad. Record these two weights. Then pull forward until both axles of the tow vehicle are on the second pad, and the TM axle is on the first pad. A little subtraction, and Bingo!

If they insist on charging you twice, I guess that the extra nine bucks is annoying, but probably worth it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The CAT scale we went to charged $9 for the initial weigh, but then $1 for each additional weighs. I weighed about 5 times with different configurations, and it cost $13.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxjere View Post
Help! We are fairly new at this trailering thing. We are trying to get the weights needed to determine if we need a WDH. We went to CAT Scales in our town (Knoxville, TN) a couple of months ago, but failed to get one important weight. We did not get the front axle of the TV, rear axle of the TV and trailer axle. We hitched up again yesterday and went back to get these weights. We were told that our trailer is not long enough and that they can only weigh our vehicle (one weight) and the trailer. We called today to clarify what we needed and were told that "if they couldn't do it yesterday, we can't do it today": Called a second CAT scale and were told the same thing. It seems others have been able to get these three weights. What are we doing wrong? We have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2006 2720. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jere & Paula

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/Tow package
2006 TM 2720.
The Cat scales I've used have 3 different weight platforms, and it wasn't too hard to get the front axle on one, the rear axle on the second, and the trailer axle on the third. Go to this link, and watch their short video that will tell you all about them: http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

The way to weigh:

- Once hitched the way you came in
- Once with the WDH bars slacked
- And once just the tow vehicle: Take the trailer off to a parking place, un-hitch it, and go back to get just the tow vehicle.

You'll need to pull off the scales and pay them separately after each step. If you're working on getting better adjustments, you may want to weigh additional times.

Tongue weight will be the difference between the weight of the tow vehicle by itself and hitched with the bars slacked, so it won't be necessary to unhitch while on the scales! The total trailer weight will be the trailer axle plus the trailer tongue weight.

The Axle and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating information will be on a sticker on the driver's side door post.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
knoxjere

Quote:
The Cat scales I've used have 3 different weight platforms, and it wasn't too hard to get the front axle on one, the rear axle on the second, and the trailer axle on the third. Go to this link, and watch their short video that will tell you all about them: http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

Mr. Adventure, that is what we tried to do and they told us we had to pull all the way forward and that put the TV all on one scale. We told them that is not what we wanted to do and they said the TM was too short to weight the way we wanted to.

Thanks to all for your reponses!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6/w/tow package
Prodigy 2 brake controller
Eaz-Lift 1000 lb WDH
After market heavy duty cooling fan
After Market heavy duty transmission cooler
McKesh Mirrors
knoxjere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

I'm not sure that Cat scale operators are hired for their intellectual prowess. I imagine they are trained on the procedure for weighing a big rig - something the big rig drivers already know how to do - and then abandoned to their posts. If they are not somewhat flexible - and I imagine most are not - then you will probably have to do multiple weighings. The alternative is simply to drive onto the scale and position yourself the way you want. Then go inside, open wallet in hand, and ask them for the printout.

Bill
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
knoxjere

Thanks everyone. We will try one more time in the next few weeks.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6/w/tow package
Prodigy 2 brake controller
Eaz-Lift 1000 lb WDH
After market heavy duty cooling fan
After Market heavy duty transmission cooler
McKesh Mirrors
knoxjere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #17
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxjere View Post
Mr. Adventure, that is what we tried to do and they told us we had to pull all the way forward and that put the TV all on one scale. We told them that is not what we wanted to do and they said the TM was too short to weight the way we wanted to.

Thanks to all for your reponses!
The two Cat scales I've used have the same configuration, exactly like the video. There are 3 scale platforms, with the rearmost being quite long and the forward two being much shorter. You get in line and pull onto the scale when it's your turn. You stop where you want, with the front axle on the first scale, the rear axle on the second, and the trailer axle on the third. Then you get out to push the button to wake them up. If you're doing a re-weigh, they want the ticket number so they can charge a buck instead of ten. I wouldn't expect them to know enough about where you are on the scale to either help or hurt you, because they're over in the building running a convenience store while you're out there standing on a truck scale entertaining truckers.

Dumb question: were you on the scale backwards (if you did that, the biggest scale would have been last and the scale call station would have been on the right instead of the left as you approached)?

I have to get out of the vehicle and step forward to get to the call station. To get better accuracy, I had to apportion my own weight between the front axle (I had to be on the front scale in order to push the button and talk to them), and the rear axle. In the Toyota Highlander, the driver's center of mass is almost exactly halfway between the front axle and the rear axle. So the adjustment was to subtract half of my weight from the front axle on the scale ticket and add it to the rear in order to get the final numbers I reported here.

But, any scale could do this. In the worst case, weigh in groups of three times, each with with one, two, or three axles on the scale, and then later do the arithmetic to subtract the extra axles from the totals to get three separate axle weights. After you've done this to them a couple times, I'm sure they'll let you stop on their scale anywhere you want as long as you just keep doing it and keep moving things along so that you don't keep interrupting their sales of cigarettes, coffee, and lottery tickets so much with a lot of questions.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Bill
Site Team

There are several CAT scale locations within a few miles of Knoxville, all at TA or Pilot or Love's Travel centers on I-81 or I-75. Perhaps it is time to try a different one. The catscale.com web site will give you details.

Quote:
Then you get out to push the button to wake them up.
By the way, Mr. Adventure, when we weighed in New Mexico, pushing the button was impossible, since it was about 9 feet off the ground! The girl inside warned us, and she was right. She said she would watch us out her window, and when she saw me wave, she would push the PRINT button. I did, she did, and we were happy.

Bill
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

One note to keep in mind when weighing: To get your most accurate reading, make sure you stay in your vehicle during the actual weigh, or at least be sure you are standing on the scale. And no passengers are allowed to go into the convenience store at most of these scales until the weighing is over, either.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
brulaz

And when doing multiple weighings, I always try to position the truck at the same spot on the scale. Not sure if it's important, but at least it's consistent.