TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #51
rumbleweed

Fridge fan question. The fan controlled by the switch under the sink is for use whenever you run the fridge ( any mode) with the TM closed. The normal side vents are covered by the top shell sides. You can also run it if it is really hot outside to remove a little more heat although adding a separate small 12V muffin fan in the top vent blowing out is much more effective if the TM is open.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #52
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Let me offer a bit of magic for the table leg. When the table is set up, and you want to put it away, you lift it, push the button on the leg, and slide the lower portion of the leg up into the upper portion, right? Warning! If you slide the lower portion all the way in (the intuitively-correct thing to do), it will surely jam, and then you will be playing with the clip again, and cutting yourself, and cursing. Easy answer? When you push the button, and slide the lower part upward, slide it just an inch. No more is required. It will never jam.

Bill
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to teach my 11 y.o. not to slide too far.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #53
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

O.K., finally found a problem. The manual does not seem helpful regarding leaks. I've been looking through the plumbing posts and I'll post my question there. Thanks everyone for help so far!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #54
scribeworks
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaG View Post
More work than tent camping? How? With the TM, you don't have to pack dishes, cooking utensils, paper products, cleaning supplies, bedding, lights, stoves, coolers - we do still take one for drinks - fuel for cooking.......so many things! This alone beats tent camping. If it rains, you don't have to pack a wet, muddy tent and tarps up and go home to dry everything out. And you have a SINK! And a bathroom! And a stove and a refrigerator and lights with switches and heat if it gets cold.......yeah, momma will be really happy. We tented for years - I didn't mind it, but the TM is soooo much better.
Good points...you could also have mentioned that in a hard-body trailer you are less likely to attract a hungry grizzly bear in places like Glacier National Park...they can smell right through canvas from miles away but not so much through metal...
scribeworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #55
Beak12

I'm so excited! Thanks for everyone's help with this. I hope to meet other TM owners sometime soon.

I have a question. How did you learn about TM's? If you don't know anyone who has one. We saw our first TM perhaps 15 year ago at a RV show in CA the salesman invited my wife to put it up and down just to show how easy it was. And we never forgot it So many years later we got a 2720SL for about 1.5 years until health and age made us move to a Elkmont.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #56
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

I am the research queen according to my friends.

My family grew up with everything from VW campers, PU truck mounted campers, RV's no bigger than a large van to 5th wheels. My DH and I have been tent campers for over 25 years. I'm a spoiled camper. I have a camping kitchen with a double sink, a screen house and DH can rig tarps that keep everyone dry. We are the place to be when it rains. So when I suggested that we, 'move up' to a better system. He had no idea that I meant a camper. Getting up in the middle of the night is just such a bummer when it's snowing, raining or just about anytime nowadays.

So before we/I turned 50, I wanted something with a bed off the ground (arthritis) and a bathroom. Not too much to ask. DH likes to camp as far away as possible from the bath house, so makes for a long hike at night. I also know that towing something as big as a 5th wheel is a lot of work. My parents had a small RV, but basically without taking a separate car, you pretty much need to pack up the campsite to go anywhere if there is no transportation available. Also didn't want something as heavy as a Hi-Lo (you know that they went of of business last month?). Also, we've seen some trailers overturned or worse yet, it pieces after breaking up along the highway (we travel out west every other year). So the TM seemed to be the best of available choices. Low, light weight compact.

I started my search almost exactly 2 years ago this month. Decided on a TM almost immediately. Never saw one until I noticed one on the highway about 18 months ago. Didn't see one 'in person' until we went to an RV show last fall. DH agreed that he liked the 2720SL, but since we're a one income family, a new one was not an option. Finally found my dream TM just over two weeks ago. Still haven't taken it out yet as I'm working on making everything brand spanking new. Hopefully next week. Checked with the Naval Base and it will be allowed to be used in the group camping area. No hookups, but we'll see how it goes. Just having a debate over the tires with DH. Look new, seem new, but we'll see. I'd like to get new ones, but we'll repack the bearings and inspect the stems today. The good news is that the camp ground is only 90 miles away.

Also, if it wasn't for this Owner's Forum, I'm not sure I would have been so sure about buying a used camper. Turns out we've spent very little so far to fix, clean, etc. Installing a prodigy brake controller system today or tomorrow. Watched the video and it seems pretty easy. What's not so easy is that our TM is parked in the bottom of the driveway on a slope (see profile pic). It has a bump to go up, then a bit steeper at the bottom.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else saw a TM in person before they decided it was for them.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #57
Jim&Joan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
I am the research queen according to my friends.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else saw a TM in person before they decided it was for them.
Absolutely we looked at a couple directly before we decided it was for us. Not only to see if the layout/size seemed right, but to completely understand what the setup/takedown really entailed. Also, conceptually, I figured it to be a 'house of cards' (i.e. being rickety and un stable). Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised at how wrong I was and how well thought out it was. I was able to accept the trade offs that left some elements less than optimal. Overall, I accept the few cons in light of all the pros (for us.)

p.s. as a research queen, I am sure you have read about tire date codes and how 'look good' can be potentially irrelavant.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #58
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
Just having a debate over the tires with DH. Look new, seem new, but we'll see. I'd like to get new ones, but we'll repack the bearings and inspect the stems today. The good news is that the camp ground is only 90 miles away.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread in detail, but if your tires are more than three years old I'd replace them. We bought our TM when it was 6 years old, it was immaculate, and the tires still had the little rubber feeler thingies on them. They were original, but we didn't check the dates . We made a couple of trips before we had a blowout. It was not a fun experience, no matter how far you are from the house, you need to deal with it, and in 90 degree heat, stuck somewhere on the side of the road, it is not fun. When you get it changed, then you're worried the whole time that your spare is going to blow and then you'll be really out of luck.

I found out about TM's on the internet and then found this site in 2003. We were able to find two members of the board who were nice enough to let us come visit their TM's and after seeing one in person, we decided for sure that they were for us. We also had to do some experimenting with a utility trailer, some sticks approximating a 20' frame tied to the back of it, hitched up to our truck to be sure that we could get it in and out of our driveway.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #59
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Yup, DH doesn't want to spend any money he doesn't need to. I'm pushing for the, 'But safety first' argument. Anyway, off to install the brake controller.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
Bill's Screen Door kit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #60
MariaG

We stumbled across ours because I was searching for two things, everywhere I could think of: Cheap and light. The TM was on craigslist in a nearby city, I was searching the RV section and it popped up. Checked out Trailmanor online, found Happytrail's site, drove 90 miles to look at it and towed it home. All in one weekend.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote