TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
If you are going to rotate the tires from side to side and they are radials, then you must do this rotation every 5K to 10K miles to prevent damage to the tires. Radial tires develop a set after a long run of miles in one direction.

If you are getting increased wear on one tire or one side of a tire then there is a problem with the axle or the wheels not the tires. Rotating the tires will only hide the problem, not cure it.

I don't plan to rotate the tires on my TM. I will probably replace them in three to five years mostly due to UV and O3 damage.

MJL
Just an FYI, I had experienced inside edge tire wear and thought it was the axle too, I took it to a truck alignment shop because Dexter told me it had to be cold bent, but they wouldn't touch it, then I realized that the last time I repacked the bearings, I didn't "pre-load" the bearings. I have done that and no more inside edge wear.

The unsightly steel wheel comment must only apply to Elkmonts, all the wheels are the same on my TM.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
Just an FYI, I had experienced inside edge tire wear and thought it was the axle too, I took it to a truck alignment shop because Dexter told me it had to be cold bent, but they wouldn't touch it, then I realized that the last time I repacked the bearings, I didn't "pre-load" the bearings. I have done that and no more inside edge wear.
In our case the wear was on the tire's outside edge and only on the one (passenger side) tire. And that wheel had never come off for bearing repack or brakes or anything. The trailer was purchased new just 6 months earlier.

I guess by "pre-load" the bearings you mean fill them with grease? Will be re-packing them sometime soon so will be careful there.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I guess by "pre-load" the bearings you mean fill them with grease? Will be re-packing them sometime soon so will be careful there.
Actually Pre-loading is tightening the nut against the bearings to 50 Ft-Lbs while turning the hub, then you back the nut off, but don't turn the hub. Then just finger tighten the nut and then back off till the hole lines up for the cotter pin. That 50 pound pre-load is critical.

Outside wear could be axle or overloading.
2016 KZ Spree Connect C250BHS
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil_War_Buff View Post
Actually Pre-loading is tightening the nut against the bearings to 50 Ft-Lbs while turning the hub, then you back the nut off, but don't turn the hub. Then just finger tighten the nut and then back off till the hole lines up for the cotter pin. That 50 pound pre-load is critical.
Ah. Yes, I've done that on the other side when fixing the brake wiring. Though my EZ-Lube axles uses a "retainer" that snaps over the spindle nut. Same idea though.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
The only problem I have is the ugly factor. The spare is on a steel wheel, not the nice Alloys of the regular wheels.
The people We bought ours from had already done the lift mod and bought three new white rims and tires so it is not an issue with us.I can imagine a blowout though.Now that could be really ugly.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
TedKozenko

I went back to posts from 2003 to see if there were other similar topics. There is a lot of good information in this post and another about rotating tires.

We have never been in any type of RV before purchasing our 2013 2720 last year and putting on almost 3,000 miles. We stored it covered, including the tires, for the winter with the wheels on double stacked Lynx Levelers on snow-covered ground with the corner jacks down but not enough to lift the wheels off the ground.

As we're readying for the season, I'm considering a three wheel rotation. My thought is:
1) Remove the curbside wheel, have it balanced, and install it on the streetside.
2) Remove the streetside wheel and separate the tire from the alloy rim.
3) Separate the spare tire from its steel rim, install it on the alloy rim, have it balanced, and install it on the curbside.
4) Install the original streetside tire as the steel rim spare and have it balanced.
Next year I would separate the steel spare again to put it on the curbside and repeating the steps.

Since this is our first time having an RV, is this acceptable or overkill? Does separating trailer tires from rims do anything to either? Would this potentially give more useable time to the tires?

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
TM Pilot

TedKozenko,

Your proposed method of swapping tires between the alloy and steel rims every year seems like too much wear and tear. If you are set on rotating the tires, why not buy a new matching alloy rim for the spare? You can then sell the steel rim or keep it for a 2nd spare.

If I decide to rotate in my spare tire every year (all 3 rims match), I'm considering just swapping it out with the driver's/street side only since that side of the trailer is the heavier side on my TM2619.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I'm not sure about rotating them side to side. The early radial tires for cars recommended not rotating them side to side because of the change of the tire spinning. Being these are ST tires and I never have worn out an ST tire, I don't want to chance messing them up by changing the rotation. I'm always replacing good looking tires because of the age of the tire, never because of the ware.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #19
davlin
TrailManor Master

Ted,

If you average about 3,000 miles per year, you don't need to worry about rotating your tires. The sad truth is that your tires will wear out for age long before you get enough miles on them for tire rotation to be an issue. You would actually help the life of the spare by putting it in a rotation and letting it get some "flex" time on the road, but since you don't have a matching rim for it, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Check your DOT manufacturer's date on the tires. When you hit four years (five if you like to live on edge), start shopping for three new ones.

And yes, it does make you cry a little when you replace a spare with zero miles on it.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I try to get my tires set up so I have one at a time. Since I jut bought TM and needed 3 new tires, I started off with 3 new tires. In 4 years I will do the street side one, the next year will be curb side one, and the next year the spare. Then change the tires when the date code is 4 years old.

I like it more just buying one at a time and not having them all from the same manufacturing batch.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote