TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
Carol
Site Sponsor

Default Rotating TM Tires

Hi!

Does anyone regularly rotate tires on their TM? Is it necessary? Does it make sense? if so, would it be a 3 tire rotation (involving the spare) or just 2?

I haven't seen this discussed, but know that the Tow Vehicle tires need to be rotated periodically.

Carol
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:42 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re:Rotating TM Tires

I hadn't thought about that at all, but it makes sense. I do know that our dealer recommended repacking the bearings at least every three years, but I will give them a call to see what their thoughts are about tire rotation, as well as tire balancing.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

I would think that the most important thing would be to check the tread depth on the tires. You would want to rotate them if one side shows more wear than the other.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
oilspot

The tread design on the GY Marathons doesn't really need rotation. Don't get me wrong...rotating the tires wouldn't be bad; but I think it is unnecessary.

All season radials, or tires with individual tread blocks are a different story...
Old 08-18-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

If you are going to rotate the tires from side to side and they are radials, then you must do this rotation every 5K to 10K miles to prevent damage to the tires. Radial tires develop a set after a long run of miles in one direction.

If you are getting increased wear on one tire or one side of a tire then there is a problem with the axle or the wheels not the tires. Rotating the tires will only hide the problem, not cure it.

I don't plan to rotate the tires on my TM. I will probably replace them in three to five years mostly due to UV and O3 damage.

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Carol
Site Sponsor

Hi!

Thanks for the replies and advise! The tires still look new and show no wear at all.

We haven't done as much traveling as some of you, but we will be putting on well over 3000 miles in Sept and Oct so we wanted to check everything out in advance.

Carol & Stan
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
brulaz

Old thread. But still of interest.

I originally rotated the tires when the curbside one showed greater wear on one edge. But then brought that to Trailmanor's attention and they replaced the whole axle and gave me new tires and wheels.

So far these haven't shown any signs of unusual wear. But we do travel a lot, and I was thinking that by including the spare into a regular rotation, I might save some money in the long run, and solve the sidewall bump problem that spares tend to have if not used.

Does anybody else do this?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Old thread. But still of interest.

I originally rotated the tires when the curbside one showed greater wear on one edge. But then brought that to Trailmanor's attention and they replaced the whole axle and gave me new tires and wheels.

So far these haven't shown any signs of unusual wear. But we do travel a lot, and I was thinking that by including the spare into a regular rotation, I might save some money in the long run, and solve the sidewall bump problem that spares tend to have if not used.

Does anybody else do this?
You are right in putting the spare in a rotation order since you travel with it a lot.It will help you get more use out of all the tires.I am going to use mine seasonal plus more or less local so won't be putting as many miles on but will use the manufacture date on the tires as the default for getting new ones rather than deep tread or nibs still on them.People on this forum have had blowouts and just being single axle it's just asking a lot of the tires.I'm just overly cautious I guess.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default I was planning

a rotation schedule. Why buy 3 tires and only use 2

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
brulaz

The only problem I have is the ugly factor. The spare is on a steel wheel, not the nice Alloys of the regular wheels.