TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
roned2

Default Marathon blowouts

We just started a two week trip into New York. 30 minutes from home our tire on the passenger side of the trailer shredded. We waited for tire repair service and got the spare on. One hour later the other tire shredded on the drivers side. Both tires were inflated to between 60 and 65 PSI. One tow truck driver said it might have been the excessive heat of the road that day. The tire guy who replaced the spare said the tire should have been able to withstand that. This was our first trip of the season. Any ideas. Both tires were about 3 years old with about 12000 miles on them. We have some damage to the plumbing system so I would like to know how to avoid this. Bad luck?
Prodigy Brake Controller
roned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

When was the last time you had your bearings serviced? When you run down the highway for 20 minutes, get out and feel the hub. It should be slightly warm, but definitely not hot. If they are, your bearings need attention, and that further heats up the wheel and can contribute to tire failure.

Were they they original Goodyear Marathons? Do you say they are 3 years old because that's when you bought the TM, or because you read the date code on the tire? If the former, the tires may actually be 4 years old. How heavy was the TM? Did you have alot of stuff inside? Full grey & fresh water, toilet, and water heater?

Hot day, hot hubs from unserviced bearings, heavy load, and 4 year-old Goodyear Marathon tires: If you had all 4, I would have bet money on them failing.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

I've installed a 1/4 " mud flat behind the driver's side tire to help protect the plumbing. I did this last year when the tires were 6 years old. This year I bought new Maxxis tires.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

What's the max PSI rating on the tire? Did you check them hot or cold?

A lot of tires blow because of rubber valve stems. If you checked the air pressure before leaving, then drove 30 minutes a valve stem could have given out. As the tire looses pressure from the faulty valve stem (from road vibration), it can quickly disintegrate the tire. If one was rotten, it only makes sense that the other one would be too. Very common.....
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
roned2

Bearings checked at dealer and greased at the end of last season. Tire pressure was checked cold. 3124KS is a 2008 so at worst the tires should be 3 years old.
Prodigy Brake Controller
Old 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roned2 View Post
Bearings checked at dealer and greased at the end of last season. Tire pressure was checked cold. 3124KS is a 2008 so at worst the tires should be 3 years old.
I'd say closer to between 3 & 4 but I really don't think it was tire age (only).

There was a huge recall on Chinese rubber valve stems a few years back. My bet is, your valve stems may have been part of that fiasco. Whatever......I hope that you has steel valve stems installed. If you didn't you may want to consider it......
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
wmtire

Roned2, there isn't any chance you still have one or both of the shredded tires?

What did you end up doing after the 2nd tire shredded (ie what tire did you get to replace it)?

Is the spare tire still on the trailer?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Joseph

Default No more Marathon tires . . .

Sorry to read about your experience. It is one posted all to often. There is lots of good information regarding tires on the forum in addition to all the ideas listed above. I am curious. What psi was supposed to be in your tires. According to the information on my TM I was supposed to run my marathons at 55 psi cold. What size tire are you running? Mine were 14's. Could it be that they may have been a little over inflated? That combined with heat, age, weight and the fact that they were marathons may have contributed to the failures. I had a blowout on the plumbing side and did have a rather thick mud flap there to protect the plumbing. It helped some. I think it took the "shredding" punishment but did little for the impact of the tire hit. I have since learned how to be a TM plumber. I have since fabricated a steel protective plate. See picture below. There is angle iron similar to what you see in pictures that runs the length of the bottom outside edge of the TM that provides mounting points for the vertical pieces you see in the picture. It has not been battle tested. You might try a little bit heavier duty tire or go to 15's as some forum members have. A TPMS may not hurt either, even though it did not help me when my marathon decided to be a snake and shed its skin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_022.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	649.5 KB
ID:	4574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_021.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	4575  
Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
roned2

Default Marathons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Roned2, there isn't any chance you still have one or both of the shredded tires?

What did you end up doing after the 2nd tire shredded (ie what tire did you get to replace it)?

Is the spare tire still on the trailer?
I used the spare tire for the first blowout and will change back to the spare position as I have a new 15 inch marathon to replace it. By the way the new tires have metal stems as does my spare tire. Both tires have been destroyed as well as one rim-the other one is usable but may have to be replaced as well.
Prodigy Brake Controller
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Scott O

Tire issues are a basic nightmare which has been repeated many times on this forum. It would be interesting to learn what percentage of TM owners have had problems. Anyhow, form a strictly empirical standpoint...Make sure tires are run at the correct pressure. Check them daily until you establish a pattern. Be sure to use metal stems. I feel the rubber stems are at the heart of many problems. I do know that TM used the recalled ones. And last, upgrade to 15" tires and wheels. These do not seem of eliminate problems, but do increase the odds of there not being a tire related problem.