TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Clwpaddler

Default Towing a 3023 with a 2000 Dodge RamVan

Has anyone had any experience towing a larger TM with the Dodge 1500 Ram Van. I have been towing with this vehicle for about a year. The van has the 5.2L with factory tow package and upgraded trans cooler. My concern is that the vehicle has a 3.55 to 1 gear in the differential and the van seems to have poor pulling power once I leave the flat state of Florida. Has anyone upgraded to the 3.95 gear and if so what is your opinion. This question may also apply to the 1500 Dodge Ram P/U since I believe that they both use the same platform with just a different body.

Thanks

Woody
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Woody -

I would think that your setup would do better than that. Have you had your van checked over by a mechanic? Something silly like a clogged air filter or dirty fuel injectors could cause it to seem underpowered.

Sometime in the last year, a member had a similar issue with (IIRC) a small diesel Sprinter. In the end, I think the problem was a simple valve somewhere in the air induction system. New valve yielded much improved performance. Read here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10408

As for changing the rear end gearing, it shouldn't be hard for a reputable service shop to do. Years ago, when this forum was new, RockyMtnRay changed the gearing on his Tundra. It wasn't cheap - of course he had 4WD so he had to do it twice - but he reported that it made a substantial difference when he was towing in the Rockies.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clwpaddler View Post
Has anyone had any experience towing a larger TM with the Dodge 1500 Ram Van. I have been towing with this vehicle for about a year. The van has the 5.2L with factory tow package and upgraded trans cooler. My concern is that the vehicle has a 3.55 to 1 gear in the differential and the van seems to have poor pulling power once I leave the flat state of Florida. Has anyone upgraded to the 3.95 gear and if so what is your opinion. This question may also apply to the 1500 Dodge Ram P/U since I believe that they both use the same platform with just a different body.

Thanks

Woody
Another difference could be the transmission. Is it a 3 speed? 4 Speed? I tow a 3023 with a 5000 lb. F-150 3.55 rear end, 4.6 motor and a 6 speed trans. It has a tow/hual mode and it shifts itself down a couple of gears on steep inclines. A more basic transmission would not have as many choices, hence, could not optimise available power use.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I'm using a Tundra 4.7L- V8 with a 4 speed automatic and select touch overdrive, curb weight is 4400lbs, with a rear diff of 3.91. Pulls my 3124KB with ease. Heading to Sedona AZ this weekend. I'll let you know if I experience any issue with the elevations changes from the gulf coast region.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

The Trailer Life towing guide lists the 2000 Ram Van at 10,000# towing capability:
http://www.trailerlife.com/Towing-Gu...-Towing-Guide/
You should not be having any trouble with elevated towing unless you have the van heavily loaded.

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Clwpaddler

Thanks everyone for the replys. A little further investigation and I found that the rear gear is not a 3.55 but a 3.23 which I think is going to be the real culprit. The van has always seemed a little under powered and now I think I know why, we have always traveled with either or both a trailer in tow and some sort of paddle craft on the roof, so the van is either fighting the weight or the wind resistance all the time. I think it is time to upgrade to a 3.90 rear gear. It will only increase the engine RPM by 500 at 60 mph.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Without meaning to cause a problem, is it reasonable to suggest that you consider the age of the vehicle before you pay for a major mod? You now have a 12-year-old vehicle. Florida, being on/near the salty ocean, may mean that a bit of body rust is beginning to show. The mileage may be high. On a 12-year-old vehicle, major repairs are on the not-so-far horizon. It won't last forever - you may decide to sell it before too long. The changed-out rear-end ratio will not increase its resale value, meaning it won't pay for itself at resale time.

A new van, though potentially costly in the near term, might make sense. Your choice of equipment, such as trailer-towing options and rear end ratio. Better gas mileage. Freedom from rust, upcoming repairs, etc. An odometer that starts from scratch. And whatever improvements have been made (there are many!) in the last 12 years.

Another option that would keep cost down might be a van that is only a couple years old, though you wouldn't be able to choose your options in that case. Some folks here might even suggest that you forsake a van and think about a comfy pickup, with a set of racks to carry your boats. Pickups have a lot to offer these days.

Obviously I don't know your situation, nor your emotional attachment to your current vehicle (I certainly experience them!). But it is a thought.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Clwpaddler

Bill, those are all good points and I have and still struggle with how much money I am willing to spend on the older vehicle vs purchasing a new or almost new vehicle. The mileage for a 12 year old van (115,000) is really not that high. A new transmission was done at 90,000 so that should be good for a while, all new tires in the last 12,000, new water pump and radiator within the last year and the van was repainted at 97,000. Now of course the A/C could and probably will go as well as all the little things that break even with new vehicles.

Due to my wife's back situation, she can not sit for any length of time while we are traveling and must lay down flat for relief so a P/U is out of the question. New or newer vans with the options I want will cost at least $25,000.00 or more. This van is paid for and is in excellent shape.

I guess the cost analysis is that I can fix a lot of things and put a lot of gas through this van for the $25 grand it would cost to upgrade. It's kind of like what I see here on the forums. Very few members have new TM's. Why not maintain and use what is still good.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
T and C
TrailManor Master

I figured out years ago that you can refurbish the appearance and basic running gear of just about any Amercan vehicle for 5-6,000 dollars. There is a lot of truth in the old saying, "The cheapest vehicle is the one you have right now."

We all love the adventure of finding a new vehicle, and we love the pleasure of driving it. However, at 4-500 dollars a month for car payments the cost of new and late model used vehicles adds up rapidly.

"This car is going to nickle and dime me to death" is a common complaint. However, I figure that a three or four hundred dollar repair a few times a year adds up to a lot less than say, $4800 to $6000 a year. Thats what the 4 or 5 hundred dollar a month payments add up to annually. Then of course there is depreciation and interest costs.

If that van has had its timing chain replaced and the water pump replaced too, it well might go 200,000 miles before needing a rebuild. Plus you have already done the tranny and paint.

It is a matter of personal preference and economic status. But for sheer economy barring other factors...fix up what you have.

Thats my .02.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote