TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
Do you need an E rated tire? The ride will be much harder since the psi will be higher.
Need? Well, when my 14" 205/R14 Kumhos rated for 2271 lbs at 65 psi blew out -- two of them -- I decided I needed a bigger safety margin -- alot bigger. The fact that I had a blow out tells me that not only did I not have wide safety margin, but I didn't have one at all.

The D-rated 225/75R15 tires I was faced with were rated for 2540 lbs at 65 psi. That's only 500 additional lbs total to prevent blowouts -- which is not insignificant -- but I wanted a safety margin on top of that. I have had 3 blowouts, and they are a real bummer.

In contrast, the E-rated 225/75R15 tired are rated for 2830 lbs at 80 psi. However, I ride with my E-tires at 65-70 psi, which is not too much higher than a D-tire. 80 psi, when the tires are cold, is very very bad. Don't ask me how I know this.

Since I run them with 65-70 psi, obviously my weight capacity is not 2830 lbs. But I am confident it is still higher than the D-rated tire with the same amount of air. And even if the weight carrying capacity isn't significantly higher, I'm hoping the extra plies of the E-tires, all else being equal, provide some additional delay before a blowout.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
Clwpaddler

I bought the same wheels as gocntry, very true and I find that the capacity is necessary since my unloaded 2001 3023 with two full propane tanks and two batteries weighed in at 3800 lbs empty, not anywhere close to the advertised weight of 2900 lbs empty.

Woody
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
PopBeavers

I should have been more clear.

I can not use 15 inch wheels. I must stay with my current 14 inch wheels.

I want to stick with the ST tires. Brand is not important to me.

The one time I weighed it, the weight on the TM axle was 3380 pounds.

All of the ST tires I know about are D rated and no significant increase in weight carrying capacity.

St tires have a lower speed limit than LT tires.

ST tires, according to documentation, have a softer side wall the LT tires. LT tires are designed for carrying very heavy loads.

ST tires are part of the suspension system of trailers. Increasing stiffness of the suspension does not sound like a good idea to me. I drive a lot of single lane back roads and a fair amount of dirt roads. I already have to drive slow under bumpy conditions. I do not think that LT tires would be helpful for where I go.

On Memorial day last year it only took me an hour to drive the last 3.4 miles.

I wish I had some Wranglers on the TM, but they are not a viable option.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #14
KevinP

I ordered 15" steel wheels here in San Diego at 'Chariots of Fire'. I told them they had to be rated at least 2150. The ones they found, by accident i believe, came with a 2600lb rating. Unfortunately, the manufacturer prefers to remain anonymous. I couldn't find any identifying information on the maker on the rim.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpeed View Post
Ive been on the phone all morning trying to find a model number or manufacturer of a 15inch 2600lbs steel wheel that will fit the trailer....Discounttire can get me some with 2150lbs rating...thats the highest I have found.

Lots of people say thiers have stamped 2600lbs on thier wheel, but with no information on where they bought them, who made them, or what thier model number is.
Sorry to join the discussion so late.

I'm assuming you saw this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...heel#post40956

I bought the wheels (and had the tires mounted) at the local Tire Warehouse
http://www.tirewarehouse.net/local/t...5-Arundel.aspx

He had the exact duplicate of the white-painted TM 14" wheels in stock, but as I noted, he had to order the 15" wheels. Quick and cheap, though - they were nothing unusual, he just didn't stock them. If you are still having trouble, you might give him a call.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
Clwpaddler

Default 15" wheel upgrade

I changed myTM 3024 14" wheels and tires to 15" 2600 lb wheels and Maxxis tires. I recently weighed the trailer empty with two 12volt deep cycle batteries and two full propane tanks and the weight of the trailer alone was 3758lbs With the trailer attached with weight distributing hitch the tongue weight was 480 lbs. Not sure where TM gets their empty weight. If you are changing to larger wheels and tires I would go with the highest ratings so there is plenty of fudge factor available. I went with D rated tires which should give plenty safety margin. Have ordered the wireless tire temperature and pressure system to be sure I don't see a spike in tire pressure that would surely indicate a problem.

Woody
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

Better make sure you don't exceed the axle capacity. If you had 14" tires, it is likely your axle rating is 3500#.