TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2003, 06:12 PM   #1

Default Towing options

I am having to get a new vechicle to tow with. I have looked at a 91 s10 Blazer 4.3 engine, a 92 Cherokee 4.0 engine, a 91 Bravada with the vortec 4.3 engine. All seem to be comprable in condition. I know I would be better off for the towing with a truck but this also has to be my everyday vehicle and I rack up a lot of miles so I am trying to keep it on the light side of a guzzler when it comes to the gas mileage. Have any of you used any of these vehicles?
If so I would love some feedback. My rig weights about 4500 by the time I load it up.

Katy
Old 08-09-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Towing options

Even though I own a Cherokee ('96) and am happy with it for towing a 2720SL (loaded weight around 3600), I would defintely recommend against one for towing 4500 lbs. Unless that Cherokee has a factory Towing Package (pretty unlikely), the early 90 models had marginal cooling systems and aren't known for having strong automatic transmissions (mine is 5 speed incidentally).

The Bravada and Blazer are basically the same vehicle and have essentially the same engine...and it is a very good engine. Unless one has a factory towing package...take it immediately...then take whichever one is in better shape and has lower mileage. Both are 11 years old and that's starting to the push the limits of being likely to get a reliable used vehicle.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
ColoradoCop

I agree with Ray. I am also pulling a 2720SL and tow it with a 2000 Chevy Blazer w/ tow package. Check with your local dealers to see what size/weight is recommended with the different vehicles. Hate to see you get an undersized vehicle.

ColoradoCop 8)
Old 08-13-2003, 03:51 PM   #4
Happytrails

That's exactly what I use to tow my 3023 with, a 1991 S-10 blazer. Actually it's a GMC Jimmy, but the Jimmy, Blazer, and Bravada are all the same vehicle with the same tow capacity which is a pretty strong 5,500lbs. I find that while towing my TM, I get the same mileage as I do if I'm just driving around town, about 17.3 miles per gallon. The 4.3L GM engine is basically the exact same engine as the 350cu inch 5.7L minus two cylinders and quite peppy to boot! Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]