TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
BeerCan

Default 15" LT tires

I have been looking for tires for my 3023. One thought I had was LT tires. The are hard to find load rated in this size but I found Yokohama and Maxxis. Anyone use these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5215&tab=Sizes

http://www.gripston.com/products/max...FUzs7Qod8Dthag

Seems the maxxis might be a tad hard to find and the yokohamas are about a half inch taller. Does anyone think 1/2" height difference will pose a problem?

Added this pirelli because it seems to have a 2094 lb rating but this is
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Redhawk

Got my Maxxis tires and wheels at Discount Tire. Not sure where you live, but a pretty common tire store i think. The usual advice...get steel stems and the higher weight rated wheels if you need wheels too. And of course balance them.

Oops....I just noticed you said LT (light truck), mine are ST, but Discount should be able to get any Maxxis tire.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Beer Can -

You might want to search this board for "LT tires" or "Special Trailer" - there are several long threads about the difference right here in the Tires Tires Tires forum. Or just go to a tire manufacturer's web site or an RV web site and read up on the difference. They are not generally considered to be interchangeable, although some people do use LT tires in place of ST.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
BeerCan

I have done a lot of reading lately re: ST vs LT tires. I still think I might lean towards LT tires. If I do I will post my experiences. Here is what I am leaning towards
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R5V2&tab=Sizes

.9 inches less in diameter so the trailer will sit about 1/2" lower. I think that will be ok
Old 10-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Harry Womack

Default Tires

The ST tires have a higher load rating then the LT have. I would use the ST225/75R-15 Load range E. I run them at 70 PSI. The load range D aways looked over loaded. I have run the Maxxis for 2 years on 3 trailers without problems.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
BeerCan

I'll admit my tire problem seems to be one that is more speed related. I have pulled many trailers in my life (though this is my first camper) and I have always traveled the speed limit. Where I live (Florida) all vehicles are allowed to travel the posted speed limit. Doing 70 on a tire that is rated for 65 is past the tire makers recommendation. If I was to get a blowout at 70 I would have no recourse because I was in excess of recommendations. LT tires are not prohibited on trailers and the major concern with st/lt tires seems to be ozone degradation and flat spotting of the tires from sitting extended periods of time. Both those items can be overcome with a little work.

I have found nothing stating that lt tires are illegal on trailers so I should be good there. I also think that if I do not overload them there should not be a problem. The hardest part is finding a suitable lt tire in the 15" size. Could lead to problems if I am on the road and need a replacement.

If I do go st I think I will use the maxxis tires. Seem to be the best option, though on the road they may be as hard to find as the lt tires.

I am going to load up the trailer next week and go get it weighed so I can see exactly what my weight is before I buy. That should help make the decision easier.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
BeerCan

Well the continental tires are on back order everywhere but 1 place (tirerack) so based on that I am going to go with the Maxxis. I don't want to get stuck on the road and have tires that I can't get. Perhaps when I need tires again and these are more readily available I will give them a try. I will post impressions on the Maxxis after I have used them awhile