TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
JANETT

Default TIRE BLOWOUT/ passenger side thankfully

We left for vacation at 430 am......by 530 am I had a blowout on the interstate. I have a 2006 2619, bought it used. Anyway we put on the spare (a never used one) and waited at a rv dealer for them to open, then found out that the tire needed to be ordered. After lengthy delay we went back home and called around and all rv dealers had to order the tire. I didn't know it was that unique. Anyway we had camper world in Seffner Florida order it for us and the next morning they took us in right away to replace the other used tire on the rig with the new one and then use the used tire as a spare. They looked at the tire I took to be brand new (which it was) and cautioned that is was 5 years old, and although the tread was perfect that the tire was questionable due to age. I took their advice and replaced both tires on the rig with new ones although it meant a couple of hour longer delay for our vacation. The lesson learned was that age not milage is more important to tire durability. Not only did camping world steer me right, now,I have read extensively on the tire on the internet and the manufacturers concur....just a word of caution for new owners like us, if the tires are 3-4 years old have them checked or replaced.

p.s. You do not want a blow out, it shredded and even wrapped around the axle( had to have breaks checked for damage) if it had been on the plumbing side I know I would have wiped out a large portion of it. TM should engineer a shield for that side of the unit.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Scott O

You have discovered probably the most discussed issue on this forum, tire longevity. Indeed, the first bit of advice any newby gets is to check tire age. In fact, your 2006 2619 probably could have taken 15" wheels/tires, which would have been a major upgrade. Another tire culprit seems to be the stems. There have been major problems with rubber stems (in fact, millions from China have been recalled) so I hope the dealer put metal stems on your new tires... Sorry you had problems, but unfortunately this seems to be rather common.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Joseph

Default At least your learning about tires sooner than later ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANETT View Post
p.s. You do not want a blow out, it shredded and even wrapped around the axle( had to have breaks checked for damage) if it had been on the plumbing side I know I would have wiped out a large portion of it. TM should engineer a shield for that side of the unit.
Some of us have fabricated our own protective cages of a sort. I have and I know that ShrimpBurrito has. Personally I think his better as it is all one piece. I got real inventive after a blow out on that side caused me to learn more about TM plumbing than I ever wanted....
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jannett -

Sorry to hear about your tire experience. As part of solving it, you learned another lesson that seems not to be generally known. In my experience doing the same thing, it turned out that most RV dealers, particularly the ones that deal in motor homes, fifth wheels, and gigantic tow-behinds, don't keep the smaller Marathons in stock. Again in my experience, you will have better luck finding them at a Goodyear store, or even a discount tire dealer. I have looked for 14" Marathons at two different Camping Worlds, without success. But I've had better luck at Goodyear stores, which are surprisingly common.

As for protection from flying tire debris, I have installed heavy duty mud flaps (aka splash guards) on my TM, with the idea of at least deflecting the chunks. The mere fact that I did so ended my string of blowouts, so I consider it a good investment.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote