TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Steverino

Default Mirrors (again)

[This discussion began in a Ridgeline / Prodigy brake controller thread, but is of general interest. Bill (moderator)]

I've used the McKesh strap-on mirrors with our last TV. They are okay for moderate use... Will be interested to see what works best with the Ridge.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I've used McKesh as well, and I love 'em. Quick on and off, good view, adjustable independently from the TV mirrors (which become your spotting mirrors), and kind to the car's finish. You'll find a bit more info here

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
freein05

I use the CIPA universal strap on Mirror. At first they did not work too good. I added Velcro to the rubber pads on the mirrors and to the back of the mirrors on my Ridgeline and then they worked ok. I would not recommend them. Here is a link to where I got them. They also have other styles.

http://www.etrailer.com/c-M.htm
Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I second the vote for McKesh mirrors. Easy to install, incredibly ugly, but I never second guess what's around me because I can see everything -- no blind spots with the optional convex mirrors on both sides. Definitely recommended.

When it's raining, dark, and there is a boat load of traffic, you don't want to be messing with your mirrors.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Inkspot

Thanks for the info guys. I had wondered how the McKesh mirrors worked. I was a little concerned that they might be a little floppy. I towed home with out any extra mirrors and don't like to be so blind.

By the way Freein05 I have ordered the Reese hitch. Thanks for your advise.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
camp2canoe

I'm a fan of the CIPA custom sized mirrors that fit over the TV's existing mirrors and then have a knob to tighten the fit. They manually adjust independent of the TV mirrors and, at least on my F-150, don't vibrate. They are very durable - I wacked one while taking a shortcut through a bank's auto teller lane. The only downside to these mirrors that I've experienced is that the mirrors, despite the padding feature, have left some black marks on the paint of the TV mirrors. If your mirrors are either black or chrome, this wouldn't be a concern. - camp2canoe
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
PopBeavers

When we got the TM, I looked at various mirrors that attach to the existing mirrors. I was not happy with the size of the mirror. I could not find any add on mirrors that had a larger viewing area than the McKesh.

I not only needed to have the mirrors stick out farther, I also wanted them to be big. Small mirrors are OK when they are electrically adjustable. But for a fixed mirror size matters. I can see the back corner of my truck, the length of the side of the TM, the TM wheels and my daughter following behind me.