TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
lester2720

Default Installing a reciever hitch on a 2002 2720 TM

I'm a first time owner of a TM and loving it so far. I'm a welder by trade and wanting to reinforce the chassis to install a reciever hitch so I will beable to pull my duck hunting boat (tongue weight is about 80 lbs. total wieght of 1,000 lbs.) If someone agrees or disagrees with my ideal, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
lester2720
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
mtnguy

I don't think that pulling a trailer behind a trailer is a good idea. Any kinda of sway with the Trailmanor will be magnified again in the boat trailer. Plus, I think double trailer towing is illegal in many states, so you might want to check with your local state police to even see if you can do it in your state.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Is it wise to double tow? Don't know.
Is it legal in Louisiana? Yes
I have seen a TV-TM-Fiberglass bass boat configuration on the road in Monroe.
My dealer used to bring 2 at a time back from the factory until he wrecked the last time. Lost control due to high winds and bumpy road combination. 2 TMs totaled and major damage to his truck, his pride and his wife's composure. That's what happened to my 2002 2720SL that he was returning from the factory after repairs. One of the reasons given by the factory for the change to the plastic rear bumper was to stop double towing. Is it concidence that the bumper change happened between model years 2003 & 2004? The above wreck happened early in the 2003 model year.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Several years ago, I saw a comprehensive state-by-state list of towing laws, including the legality of triples. I could have sworn it was on the Blue Ox web site, but I couldn't find it, so I sent them an email. Their Customer Service Rep Tamra Krugman got back to me quite quickly with a pointer to http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm. For some reason this site doesn't come up for me in Firefox, but it seems to work fine in IE. Towing World is apparently part of the Blue Ox company somehow.

The list has a lot of info, but to summarize the situation for triple towing. Triple towing is flat-out illegal in 21 states. Several other states limit it to 5th wheels. It is total-length-limited in most others. Triple towing is legal in Louisiana, with a limitation of 70 feet total length.

Thanks, Tamra.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote