TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
sharon

Default towing questions

first let me say i've learned sooooooo much from this site, thanks to everyone, now my question,-----i have a 2004 2027 TM, pulled by a ford explorer 2006, v-6 4.O----i've only towed a few times but i live in az and both the TM and the ford do well in steep mountains-----BUT when i bought my new ford i really wanted a stow and go chrysler----i was told sent it was front wheel drive it would never pull my camper in the mountains, but it seems like there are some folks out there that have front wheel drive vans--- could i hear about the engine size, weight, brand of van etc----i might have my facts confused but would really like "real" feedback---thank you, sharon
Old 11-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I can understand why you like the "Stow and Go". We had an opportunity to rent one for a week earlier this year and found it to be a really nice, plush vehicle. However, Like all minivans, they are car-based and weigh about 1000lbs more than the cars they are descended from. IMO this limits their tow ratings compared to truck-based vehicles like you Explorer. It's difficult to keep a TM/minivan combination within the manufacturers GCWR. We towed our 2619 with no problems for three yrs and 20,000 mi with a Honda Odyssey but had to leave the 2nd and 3rd row seats from the Odyssey at home and pack the TM lightly to keep within the GCWR.

I suspect the different opinions you'll get on "towing-power" will depend a great deal on what people are comparing them to. We came down from a pickup/5th-wheel to the Odyssey/TM and found the Odyssey to be at least as strong as the pickup. YMMV
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Magdefrau

We have a Grand Caravan and tow a 3032 TM. It does fine. We been up and down mountains. Hours across hot plains. Slower than most on the road, but within speed limits. I will some days like to have a higher rated TV just like Texas Camper. I remmember my wife and I trying to figure if our Caravan could tow the TM. Most folks don't want to risk giving a thumbs up. I will, the Caravan in up to it. Most important the TM has made a happy moble cabin to pull around the country. I'll go ahead and say it, a lovee cabin that my family is seeing America out of. It's cost is low looking at the big picture. If I'm wrong tell me.