TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #11
Magdefrau

How do folks go camping at a lake and use their boat?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
PopBeavers

I would guess it depends on the boat.

I have a friend with a 32 foot boat. Needless to say, he does not tow it behind a travel trailer. However, he can sleep on the boat.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I have a 12 foot Porta-Bote which can be carried on top of the TV.
http://www.porta-bote.com/
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp
I have a 12 foot Porta-Bote which can be carried on top of the TV.
http://www.porta-bote.com/
Mike
I think RockyMtnRay also bought a folding boat, and wrote quite a bit about his reasons and experiences with it. The Advanced Search tool ought to turn up his posts. I think his was called a FolBot, so search under that term. As I recall, it was part of a discussion on kayaks, so you might search under that term as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM   #15
Doug W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdefrau
Some friends of ours have a normal 32 foot travel trailer and I forget what size pontoon boat. The wife drives the truck to pulls the travel trailer and the husband drives the truck to pulls the pontoon.

The wife does not have a job, so if they going somewhere close to home she will take the travel trailer out on Thursday. She spends Thursday night out there getting everything setup. When her husband gets home, she has the pontoon hooked up and ready to go. They bring the pontoon home Sunday evening. She goes out Monday morning and puts everything away and brings the travel trailer home.

He is darn lucky. Unless it is an emergency, my wife does not like to drive when pulling a trailer.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #16
BeachDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdefrau
We have a SeaEagle canoe. They have larger style boats in all price ranges.
http://www.seaeagle.com

Our small canoe goes in the bicycle trailer, we ride to the lake, inflate the canoe, drop it in and paddle off.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #17
John Kelly

Default Looking to buy boat

I am considering a light weight boat to carry on TV. I am considering either a canoe or a porta-bote although the second is expensive. For those of you who have tried one or the other or hopefully both, what is your advice? I am considering 12 ft. for both. Or would you rec. 14 ft. porta-bote? Also what size electric motor would you recommend? I appreciate all the info. I have received on these forms. Thank you.

John & Marion

2004 3023
1999 Merc. Mt., AWD, V8, 5L
Old 08-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
camp2canoe

Default Porta-Bote

We are canoeists and almost always carry a canoe or two on top of our TV - a Ford F-150 SuperCrew with a cap, Spring Creek suction cup rack on the cab and Yakima rack mounted on Yakima's bolt through Landing Pads on the cap. Works great.

We also have owned the 8' Porta-Bote since 1993 and use it as a dinghy when cruising on our Catalina 22 or on bareboat charters we don't have to fly to. We had to get the smallest one as it fits folded on the quarter berth in our Catalina. It works fine for DW and I but is tight and has limited freeboard with 3 aboard. It works fine with an electric motor but we generally use a 2.5 horse Mariner outboard (if you go the gas route make certain you get one with neutral - it will be much safer than my direct drive model). Porta-Botes differ from most in that engine size is by weight and not horsepower.

I would never go back to using an inflatable dinghy. We can and have run the Porta-Bote up on rocks and logs without complaint. The only maintenence it has required is to periodically reglue the floatation to the plywood seats - newer models have better floatation and plastic seats. It also rows better than any inflatable and we enjoy rowing around a harbor for an hour or so after being confined onboard for a couple of days. She may be long since out of business but we got a fair price from Penny Brandon of Crystal Lake, Illinois, who we met at a sailboat show. It was drop shipped in a huge baggie from the manufacturer in California. At least in '93 the price difference between the 8, 10 and 12' models was negligible so choose with use and storage factors in mind. - Camp2Canoe