TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #1
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking Adding more watts (for a total around 630 watts maximum)

Although my "small" front-shell flex panels were claimed to be 120 watts, they're really less than 100 watts each. (My larger one which is a lot older, still seems to live up to it's rating of 135 watts). My "490" watts is actually more like 430 watts. Right at solar noon, I sometimes get that much on a nice days in late June.

My 2619 doesn't have a ton of additional room up front, and adding another panel into the current string would be pushing a lot of voltage (110-120V) into the "150 volt" MPPT. The short period of time near solar noon when converted panel output exceeds the maximum 30A output rating rating on my "13.6 volt" MPPT would also be greatly extended.

I have purchased a 200 watt panel for the rear shell, and a second MPPT unit to run that panel as a separate string. This is a solid-framed panel, too heavy for my front shell but probably OK on the rear (where I still have have several turns of adjustment left on the torsion bar ends.) I actually expect nearly 200w in perfect conditions, the disconnected voltage was all the way up when I set it down on the driveway near 1 pm. I'm waiting on the MPPT from china, it should arrive in 10-30 more days.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #2
Casey Freswick

Default ???

What make is it and where did you purchase this from?

(Yes, I am still around)

Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Although my "small" front-shell flex panels were claimed to be 120 watts, they're really less than 100 watts each. (My larger one which is a lot older, still seems to live up to it's rating of 135 watts). My "490" watts is actually more like 430 watts. Right at solar noon, I sometimes get that much on a nice days in late June.

My 2619 doesn't have a ton of additional room up front, and adding another panel into the current string would be pushing a lot of voltage (110-120V) into the "150 volt" MPPT. The short period of time near solar noon when converted panel output exceeds the maximum 30A output rating rating on my "13.6 volt" MPPT would also be greatly extended.

I have purchased a 200 watt panel for the rear shell, and a second MPPT unit to run that panel as a separate string. This is a solid-framed panel, too heavy for my front shell but probably OK on the rear (where I still have have several turns of adjustment left on the torsion bar ends.) I actually expect nearly 200w in perfect conditions, the disconnected voltage was all the way up when I set it down on the driveway near 1 pm. I'm waiting on the MPPT from china, it should arrive in 10-30 more days.

TM: 2003 2720SL TV: 2014 Yukon

Casey Freswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default This is an every day "renogy" panel, 200w.

bought from Amazon for $201.59 plus a bit less than $17 sales tax.Ebay vendors with good reputation have similar or slightly higher prices, with roughly similar dimensions. The maximum width (front to back on the closed shell) iis only about 31" on my 2619. This panel, only 26.38 inches wide, 7 fits easily, with the "width" front to back, the "length" running curb side to street side with tons of extra room.

I was unable to find a longer panel with more cells per row (and higher operating voltage, without exceeding my width limits.

That panel is now priced at $222 pre-tax: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRJYJ22. 26-1/2 lbs.I am waiting fo the MPPT to arrive before I check the mounting holes, I bought 8 "Z brackets" but might reduce the number I actually use to 6.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:20 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default My 'el-cheapo' MPPT controller, handling only the new panel.

My current solar controller (supporting panels which could reach 460 watts under perfect sun, but hardly ever exceed 430 watts at "noon" on most camping days) is fully utilized by those panels.

Even if I were to "upgrade" the MPPT" to be big enough for enough output Amps, the new panel does not match EITHER amperage (series connections) OR voltage ([parallel connections) for any combination of my old ones re-arranged with the new panel on the same controller.

So I planned this rear-shell installation to use a new MMPT solar Controller, dedicated to this panel alone. Voltage of the single panel is very low, only 27 volts upon connection/disconnection by the MPPT.)

I chose a cheap EpEver "XTRA", model XTRA2210N-XD2. It is rated at 20A maximum. At battery voltage, the panel could created barely 13A under perfect conditions, so I'm running at 70% or less.

The heatsink is cheap, but it will probably run cool enough to hide under the high tall portion of the tub (beside or maybe behind the WFCO. There won't be any airflow opportunity, but the heatsink mounting will be into the top of the aluminum floor.

If I blow it up, due to overheating, I can create some venting for a replacement, involving the dual-fan Converter in the lower WFCO section.

Programming will be slightly nasty, but the 'XD2' model does provide a set of buttons for doing that.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:53 AM   #5
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

I guess my question is...do you NEED that much solar? I use two Trojan 6v batteries and a single 100-watt solar panel and it gives me all the juice I need, by 10.30 AM (Most days) my batteries are at 100% of charge.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:28 AM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Yes, I might need' all that.

For the purpose of running the Air Conditioner for an hour or two of relief, on a really hot day. While doing that, every watt which comes from solar doesn't run the batteries down, and this will be around 1/3 of the Air Conditioner running load on a perfect sunny day.

When I am forced to give up on the Air Conditioner, due to less than 100Ah left in the batteries, I also want to "refill" as quickly as possible, while the sun is still shining.

If I could fit more panels on this RV, I would- but it's only a 2619.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:30 AM   #7
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Awww OK, Can't imagine running the AC on the battery... That's the difference!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote