TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
lilysvalley

Default looking at a 2720

drove to farmington today and looked at a 2008 2720. it was recently traded to a rv dealership there. appeared to be in good shape,but the awning was torn, a/c unit wasn't working right, the formica around the sink was damaged in three places and the tires looked good but are six years old as was the battery. i asked if the brakes and bearings had ever been done, but they didn't know. dealer had it advertised for 15 thousand but after my inspection he dropped the price to 13 before i even made an offer. they say that they will repair the ac unit, replace the tires,brakes and battery and repack the wheel bearings but will not the repair the counter or replace the awning. i offered 10 thousand but they said that they would not go below 12. i gave them five hundred as a deposit with the understanding that they will make the repairs and upgrades this week and i will return next weekend to reinspect and purchase.

does this sound like a good deal? anything else i need to look at or check?
they did say that i could buy a 90 day warranty for $500. how much does it cost to replace the awning fabric? i think i can replace the counter tops.

B.lily
Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Your asking for an opinion based on what you described so here is my response. I would not buy that unit. Too many known issues for the price which worries me for what issues are unknown. If it was a much better deal and you planned to renovate it, great, but lots of work to be done. Unit may leak. The condition suggests the the PO did no maintence and really didn't care for the unit. These things are sturdy but fragile as well. Good luck.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Hmmm. There's an '04 2720 in "very good condition" for $8,500.
An '07 SL which appears to be in very good shape, based on posted pics, for $13,500, stored in a garage.
Another '07 SL for $12,500, also very good condition
An '08 in "good condition" for $10,500
An '06 for $11,500
All on this forum.

Based on what I found here, and the info in your post, I would not go over $12,000 with the repairs they say they will do. It will cost you time and money to replace/repair the counter (you may want to use whatever they are putting in the new units, as it is not laminated, so it won't peel), and the awning. If you could get one in much better shape for about the same price (okay, maybe $1,000 more, ignoring what part of the country it is in), I sure wouldn't give any more than $12,,000.

That said, a TM in good condition is a joy to camp in! You will love every minute of it, once the repairs are made. I may even suggest not repairing the awning (remove the entire assembly), and get a 10' x 1-' or 12' x 12' canopy. I got a 10x10 square, vertical legs (as opposed to the angled legs) canopy at Wal-mart for $100. It is sturdy, easy to put wherever you want. You can put it next to the trailer, or move it to a better location (over a picnic table, for instance). To me, that is a better way to go than an awning. If it does rip in an unexpected windstorm, you are only out $100. You may even be able to get new fabric, and use the old frame. Just my opinion.

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
lilysvalley

thanks for the response about my questions. i did spend two hours with that trailer yesterday. fridge works on propane and shore, water heater works both ways, and plumbing is in good shape with no leaks. had them spray water on roof for more than five minutes with me inside and saw no water intrusion. 12 volt lights on inside all work, but two outside lights don't. once owned a wilderness tt, so i knew what to look for.

talked to a awning guy and he says he can replace cover for $5 to $7 a sq ft. has anyone had this done?

thanks again

B.lily
Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Sounds like you have done your homework on TM's. I bought mine private party and feel I got a good deal, but if the dealership will make those repairs and sell it to you for $12k, you are getting a good deal also.

If you are handy enough to repair the counters, then I would skip the 90 day warranty for $500.

Good luck and keep us posted on your purchase.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
lilysvalley

so the dealership called and the the tm should be ready this friday. reportedly it will have new brakes, newly repacked wheel bearings, two new deep cell marine batteries and three new goodyear marathons.

they say the a/c unit parts and labor will cost more than what the unit is worth so they are wanting $800 more and I can have a brand new unit. told them i would let them know by tomorrow.

so i priced comparable units and they range from $780 to $1150, online and rv shops. thinking that i will offer $400 and take the deal. doesn't that seem about right to you guys?

B.lily
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I ordered a replacement A/C unit on line and installed my self for $500. This included free shipping. It is an Advant, normal height A/C. This is the cheap version of the Dometic.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
I ordered a replacement A/C unit on line and installed my self for $500. This included free shipping. It is an Advant, normal height A/C. This is the cheap version of the Dometic.
Is that a plug and play unit? How much wiring is necessary?

Thanks,

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

If the units cost between $780 and $1150, why would you offer $400? They are installing it for no charge, it appears. You want a good seal around it, and if you ask them to give it to you for half what they paid for it, they may not take the time to make sure it is a good seal.

If you are getting a new AC, with a full warranty, seems like paying for the unit and having them install it for free, is a reasonable deal. You were initially going to get a "fixed" unit, with no warranty, at no cost. They have already put in time to check the unit, so they have incurred cost .

I am always looking for a good deal, but there are times when the best deal has already been offered. Trying to lower the price more is going too far, in that instance. Be careful to not overstep the bounds of good-faith dealing.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

LoveToCamp is right, you are getting a new A/C unit installed for a reasonable price. If I were you I would pay the extra money, cause it sounds like you are getting a very good deal. Make sure you get the warranty cards for the A/C unit, battery and tires, especially if you don't live very close to the dealership.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote